Red Wing ( a CD30 ) is Available....

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
Bob Emmons

Red Wing ( a CD30 ) is Available....

Post by Bob Emmons »

Dear fellow sailors,
This was a tough decision to make.....I have put an enormous amount of time and resources into making this CD30 "Red Wing"at better than new condition. Now that we are berthed in Maine, and in much deeper water than the Barnegat Bay in NJ, my wife and I decided to move up to a larger boat, something with a bit more space. This is a hard decision, for she has been the source for a comfortable, safe, and wonderful journey over the past ten years spanning from Annapolis the Downeast Maine. This boat has been completely refit including new engine. There is just too many upgrades and projects that were completed to list here, but if anyone is interested please contact Dave Perry of Robinhood Marine Center at perry@robinhoodmarinecenter.com.

For a link to see pictures and some selected specs of Red Wing click on: http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1981/Ca ... ted-States
Last edited by Bob Emmons on Nov 7th, '08, 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
Clay Stalker

What Next!

Post by Clay Stalker »

Hi Bob-

Interesting to read of your planned upgrade to a larger boat. Wondering what you have in mind, if anything at this point.

Redwing is a fine boat, has had excellent care, and will sell quickly to a lucky owner.

Maine is great, and if I ever return to boat ownership on the ocean, it is where I will return to....it's where I started.

Best Regards,

Clay Stalker
Clay Stalker
Westmoreland, NH and Spofford Lake, NH
aja

Say it ain't so!

Post by aja »

Bob,

So sorry to hear about your decision. But I can understand that you would need a larger boat - especially if you will be spending the whole summer on her.

About Redwing - to anyone interested in adopting her, she is in EXCELLENT and immaculate condition. She is our "pin-up girl" inspiration for restoring our own CD30. Whenever we get depressed about our project (and it is depressing) we think of Redwing, who is the ideal, and everything a CD30 can be. Then we find a little hope that under the wreckage of our boat lies another Redwing. "Remember how nice Redwing is?", "Oh, yes!" then we keep on working.

She will make someone very happy, but I know she will miss you Bob.

Tell Dave to post a photo of the engine - a superb intallation.

Keep us posted on your new boat, love to hear your decision.

Diana & Don
s/v aja
1977 cd25 #530
Fairhaven, MA

NE Fleet Member since 2002
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

So Bob, whats on the short list for a new boat? Red Wing is a fine CD-30 for anyone who is looking. I am kinda partial to that particular model myself, Steve.
Bob Emmons

Post by Bob Emmons »

Hi all!
Thanks guys for the repsonse! We're looking into the 36' range. When I purchased Red Wing ten years ago, my needs were day sailing and weekends in the Barnegat Bay, (where you are lucky to get 5' of water) with vacations in the Northeast. Now we have much deeper water, and day sailing is not practical for the distance we must travel. Our boat will now serve as our new home on the coast of Maine as we begin a new adventure!
Bob
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

...bump....

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

...bump...
MarcMcCarron

first place!

Post by MarcMcCarron »

I'm a CD30K owner. You get first place with the nicest CD30 I've
ever seen award. She is well worth your asking price. Best of luck - thanks for giving me ideas how to upgrade Cleona. Question about
the winches - did you need to swap them out or just buy the self
tailers? I hope you get a great bargain on you next boat. I have a
feeling your not going to be looking for fixer-uppers..........
MARC MCCARRON
Bob Emmons

Post by Bob Emmons »

Thanks Marc for the nice comments! Regarding the winches, since I singlehand 90% of the time, I invested in the Lewmar #40 Bronze Self tailing models. I moved them aft so that I could reach them from the helm by scarfing in a piece of teak on the existing coaming, using the existing supports, and drilling new holes in the deck. I epoxied the old holes, and with a completely new non skid resurface job, you never know where the winches used to be! They work absolutely beautiful and well worth the upgrade! I could not imagine going back to the original winches mounted forward.
Thanks, and I wish you much enjoyment with your boat!
Bob
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
chase

sweet boat

Post by chase »

Bob, your boat is very nice, the winch idea is good. Did you have to change anything with the tracks?

Who did your canvas?

She's absolutely beautiful from the pictures-

Chase
Bob Emmons

Post by Bob Emmons »

Thanks Chase,
I did install new track on the toerails, but only because I detected corrosion on the old track. I did not change the location or size. The canvas was done by me in my shop. I duplicated the existing dodger design that was on the boat when I bought her which is a nice feature with a deep pocket for protection in a sloppy seaway! I had someone manufacture a bimini frame and did the canvas for that summer sun protection!
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
Bob Emmons

Post by Bob Emmons »

Bump.....
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
Bob Emmons

Make me an Offer on this like new CD30!

Post by Bob Emmons »

Well folks,
I just commissioned a new boat to me, a 36 foot Gozzard in Maine. In the interest of not owning two boats into this winter I will entertain any reasonable offer. Anyone interested in a CD30 should definitely take a look at this boat...especially if you want a new Yanmar fresh water cooled engine, new rigging, Awlgrip paint on hull, new custom canvas, and many, many extra's!!!
Bob
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME