Teltails

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Teltails

Post by seadawg »

Does anyone out there know how to interpret teltails that have been installed on the trailing edge of the mainsail leach? The company that repaired, cleaned and altered the mainsail installed them as part of their process so I need to learn how to interpret them. Teltails that I have learned to use were always about 1/3 of the way back from the mast in the draft of the sail. While sailing yesterday I intentionally oversheeted and noticed that caused one of the teltails to no longer stream aft. Any knowledge of these critters would be welcome. Cheers, Charlie.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

I recommend the following book:

Illustrated Sail & Rig Tuning
Author Ivar Dedekam
ISBN 1898660670

I bought this book about 1 1/2 years ago (ordered from local bookstore). I believe it cost about $14.

I am a true rookie sailor. I have read it 3 times and frequently go back to particular sections for refreshers. It has many, many illustrations, etc. and is written in fairly simple language. I say this because for me to understand it (or at least portions of the book :oops: ), it has to be simple. :)
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

US Sailing has an on-line Keelboat course that has lessons on sail trim including the mainsail telltales.

http://www.sailingusa.info/keelboat.htm

Also I stumbled onto a website that has a lot of theory on the use of telltales.
http://www.arvelgentry.com/Telling_tales.htm

I'm in the process of trying to process and understand all the info. Maybe by the next sailing season I may comprehend this info.

Question for the CD board: Help my bad memory, there's a memory trick / aid for remembering the order of sail adjustments or trim, does anyone know it.
Apparently I have lost the bit of info in a "senior moment" or maybe it was bumped from my memory by another bit of info like my wife's birthday or my son's name.
Denis
rtbates

Re: Teltails

Post by rtbates »

seadawg wrote:Does anyone out there know how to interpret teltails that have been installed on the trailing edge of the mainsail leach? The company that repaired, cleaned and altered the mainsail installed them as part of their process so I need to learn how to interpret them. Teltails that I have learned to use were always about 1/3 of the way back from the mast in the draft of the sail. While sailing yesterday I intentionally oversheeted and noticed that caused one of the teltails to no longer stream aft. Any knowledge of these critters would be welcome. Cheers, Charlie.
you got it. when that teltail (leeward side) just starts to flutter you need to either ease the sheet or head up. Visa versa for the other.
Randy 25D Seraph #161