Companionway Hatch for CD 22

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dockmaster
Little Miss Magic

Companionway Hatch for CD 22

Post by Dockmaster »

We lost our companionway sliding hatch on our CD22 to Tropical Storm Fay last month. Does anyone know where we can get a replacement?
Thanks,
Tom
Dockmaster
Little Miss Magic

Replacement hatch

Post by Dockmaster »

Nobody has ever had this problem before?
I could make one out of teak but would rather keep the boat to original specs.
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

(reply)

Post by seadawg »

Mine are original and they are teak. There are 3 of them and they are about 3/4" thick, beveled and interlocking. I know they would be very expensive to fabricate but they look good and last a long time. Cheers, Charlie.
Dockmaster
Little Miss Magic

Sliding hatch

Post by Dockmaster »

Charlie,
Actually, what we lost was the sliding hatch over the top of the companionway.
Thanks,
Tom
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I don't know how handy you are but this hatch could be fabricated from resin or epoxy and fiberglass cloth at home. You'll need measurements and a mock up, then a plywood form. I think I saw a pretty good description with photos of a similar project in Spurr's Cruising Guide , Good luck
________
Ford vega history
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

(reply)

Post by seadawg »

Da...Sorry Tom. Your question was very clear. Surely there are some boat salvage places out there that would have a used hatch. I agree with you that keeping Little Miss Magic original here would be best. Cheers, Charlie.
Steve Laume

Strip built

Post by Steve Laume »

Finding the hatch for your boat might be a bit more difficult than a needle in a haystack. (metal detectors have changed that)

If you could find someone willing to let you make a mold of their hatch you could do it that way. They would have to have a lot of faith in you not to make a mess of their good hatch. You would have to have the confidence and ability to be worthy of their trust.

I would be looking at the strip building method of making the new hatch. You could still look at and measure another boat to make it as close to original as possible. The strip building method is very strong and would not detract significantly for your boats originality. You could try leaving it bright if it came out pretty enough or you could paint it to match the gel coat. If anything it would be stronger than the original.

Best of luck, Steve.
Sluggo

Post by Sluggo »

Might be helpful to know if they're interchangeable with other CD models.
Sadly, there will probably be a lot of salvage along the Texas coast, maybe someone down there is taking inventory.
Also, there's Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale. They supposedly have a large collection of used parts.
~Tom
Dockmaster
Little Miss Magic

Post by Dockmaster »

I think for now we are going the wood hatch direction because that will be faster and easier to accomplish and will look good with the other teak.
I won't give up on the fiberglass option though. I frequently travel to South Florida so will check out Sailorman on my next trip. There is also Sailor's exchange in St Augustine that we will try as well.
Thanks,
Tom