TackTick - Lousy Support

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JBondy

TackTick - Lousy Support

Post by JBondy »

A while back, we bought the TackTick wireless wind system, consisting of a masthead transducer and analog display. Right out of the box, we experienced problems. The transducer wouldn't spin in winds below about 8 kts, which was the threshhold for whether we would bother to pull up the sails, so it would display 0. Sometimes, the two units would lose communication. I got in touch with Ocean Equipment, the US distributor, for warranty support. It took close to two years, which is the warranty period, and a half dozen attempts to get a reply. They eventually responded, so I thought I was finally on a path to satisfaction. I was told to ship the two units back and they would honor the warranty, which I did. To shorten the story, they sent me a refurbished transducer, but lost the display, claiming they never received it. The best they are willing to offer is to sell me a replacement. Despite the fact that they are offering to do this at "cost", I think this is unacceptable. They lost it and I have to buy a replacement?

I've tried reaching out to the manufacturer, a UK company, to complain about the customer service of their US distributor, but they also do not respond. It was a POS out of the box and the customer support has been atrocious. Stay away.
Joel
Bayside, NY
rtbates

thanks for the warning

Post by rtbates »

If I ever felt I needed wind instr. I would look into them. Maybe not a good idea it seems!

thanks again for the warning
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I bought one a few months ago and its working very well. Then again, I haven't needed any support (yet) so I can't give any input on the situation.

It sure sounds lousy though. Wonder why they would be so foolish. They have to know that dissatisfied people will spread the word.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)