The folks around Clear Lake?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Troy Scott

The folks around Clear Lake?

Post by Troy Scott »

All day I've been thinking about the group of CDers around Clear Lake. I'm just now able to get to the internet, and I expected to see something here about how they're managing with IKE. I don't see a thing. Has anybody heard what they did to prepare and how they're doing?
Regards,
Troy Scott
tartansailor

Only Prayers Will Help Now

Post by tartansailor »

It looks real bad. For example say a CD-25 was anchored bow on to
The top end of a category 2 (100 knots) and a 4 ft. rise by an 8 ft. beam
Would have 32ft2 exposed. Now the formula is Force (lbs./ft2) = 0.004V2
Or 1,280 lbs. of force pushing the bow. Now say there is a 40’ X 24’
Building:: 38,400 lbs. I do not think bulldozers come close.

nb: WORD gives the square superscript, but posting drops it.

Dick
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Clear Lake

Post by Oswego John »

Dick.

I'm not much of a mathematician but I think that I might know what you're saying in the formula. Try writing the number 38,400 and immediately follow it with holding down the Alt key while typing 453 on the numerical keypad at the right of the keyboard. Make sure that the numerical key pad is turned on and the pilot light is lit.

Troy,
I think that many of us haven't commented on this approaching storm. As sailors, we realize the immensity of this hurricane and are aware of the devastation that is sure to be wrought on the area.

What can we say? What can we do about the situation? Most of the country is in a state of hopeless numbness. If I dare say it, there is one ray of hope going for our sailing brothers and sisters in that region where the storm will pass through.

They, too, are aware of the potential of devastation that is sure to come. The sailor is trained to follow safety procedures and warnings. There has been ample warnings issued and I feel certain that the prudent sailor and boatowner has taken all possible precautions available to preserve his boat. I also feel that he has, primarily, provided for the safety for his family and those who are near and dear to him. I remember Randy saying that at the first hint of an impending storm of this magnitude, his boat is on the trailer and he will be heading to inland and safety.

I can fully understand why there is little comment about what is certain to happen. What can we say. I agree with Dick that about all that can be done now is pray for their survival.

O J
barfwinkle

What a Storm

Post by barfwinkle »

This thing is huge. We have already had some rain from the outer bands and we are 600 miles inland.

The national Wx Service has us (Near 35 W 95N) in a hig wind warning with 50-60 mph winds forcast later this evening.

Let's keep the folks down south in our thoughts and prayers.

Good luck to all
Bill Member #250.
Troy Scott

the Gulf Coast Fleet

Post by Troy Scott »

OJ,

Because of my own experience, I feel especially connected to the sailors around Clear Lake. After Katrina it was 10 days before we could even get to Mobile to look for our boat. When we got to Dog River, south of Mobile, we found widespread destruction at Sunflower Marina, Dog River Marina, Turner Marine, Mobile Yacht Club, Grand Mariner Marina and on and on. Thousands of boats destroyed. This was how it went there after hundreds of sailors did everything they could to protect their boats and homes. Our Pearson 33, which had been on-the-hard at Turner Marine, was nowhere in sight. The surge had carried her away along with hundreds of others. We borrowed a dinghy and searched all day without any luck. Late in the afternoon we learned that the boat had been found actually floating and that she had been gathered up by a salvage operation and was rafted up roughly with many others to a dock on the side of the river. We found her with almost no hull-to-deck joint left. Of course she was a total loss.

I've never seen boats at such odd angles or piled up so high. There are still boats on their side in the parking lots there, three years later.

The full extent of the yacht situation after IKE won't be known for weeks, but I expect it to be very sad.
Last edited by Troy Scott on Sep 13th, '08, 20:29, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Leo MacDonald
Location: 'EVENING LIGHT' CD33 No. 38, Pine Isl. Bay, Groton, CT

Hope for the best . . .

Post by Leo MacDonald »

Hi All,

Our Gulf Fleet was just about in the center of this mess.
Let's hope and pray they all made it through.
Fair Winds,
Leo MacDonald
Founding Fleet Capt., NE Fleet
Past Commodore, Member No. 223
A 'Cape Dory Board' supporting member ~1999 to ~2015 :-)
Troy Scott

Gulf Coast Fleet after IKE

Post by Troy Scott »

I won't be surprised if we don't hear much about the situation around Clear Lake for a week or so. Four days after Katrina, we had to go north 50 miles to find a 'phone that worked. There was NO cellular or internet. 10 days after the storm we learned the fate of our boat.

My mother called from Mobile this morning to say she had seen on CNN some pictures of boats "every which way" in Clear Lake. I watched for a while, but I never saw the report.

I was in Dallas yesterday and in Shreveport today. Shreveport was getting pretty windy by noon. I didn't feel it would be appropriate for me to try to go south into the seriously affected areas, so we just drove on home to Mississippi. The edges of the storm were surprisingly powerful all the way to Mississippi. While headed east on I20, we watched convoys of electrical repair trucks and a lot of other relief traffic headed west. On a positive note, I don't think the storm surge was as high as some experts thought it might be, so maybe the conditions in and around those marinas were more survivable compared to what it was like during Katrina in the marinas south of Mobile. I do hope so. I guess it's just empathy, but I'm really anxious to know what happened there.

I also need to know what happened in extreme southwest Louisiana. There is a small Catholic Church there in Cameron Parish, called Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church. We removed to safety what was left of their pipe organ after hurricane Rita almost completely destroyed the place shortly after Katrina. When Ike came on the scene, they had been back in their building for only two weeks. I hope they're OK, but who knows? The church is only a few feet above sea level, and just across the road from the open water of the Gulf.
Regards,
Troy Scott
M. R. Bober

Re: Clear Lake

Post by M. R. Bober »

Oswego John wrote:
Troy,
I think that many of us haven't commented on this approaching storm. As sailors, we realize the immensity of this hurricane and are aware of the devastation that is sure to be wrought on the area.

What can we say? What can we do about the situation? Most of the country is in a state of hopeless numbness. If I dare say it, there is one ray of hope going for our sailing brothers and sisters in that region where the storm will pass through.

They, too, are aware of the potential of devastation that is sure to come. The sailor is trained to follow safety procedures and warnings. There has been ample warnings issued and I feel certain that the prudent sailor and boatowner has taken all possible precautions available to preserve his boat. I also feel that he has, primarily, provided for the safety for his family and those who are near and dear to him. I remember Randy saying that at the first hint of an impending storm of this magnitude, his boat is on the trailer and he will be heading to inland and safety.

I can fully understand why there is little comment about what is certain to happen. What can we say. I agree with Dick that about all that can be done now is pray for their survival.

O J
John,
You always know what to say.
Thanks,
Mitchell
CDSOA Founding Member
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

When we traveled to Clear Lake nearly three years ago to purchase our new Cape Dory we sought the help of the Gulf Fleet in obtaining some "local knowledge". We were immediately invited to a fleet meeting, and after the meeting the entire membership drove over to the Boardwalk Marina to visit our new pride and joy. We learned that you can fit eighteen people onto a CD30, but you wouldn't want to sail her that way. We then adjourned for dinner to one of the fleets' favorite hangouts. By the time that we got back to the boat late that night we felt that we were a part of the family.

The camaraderie, hospitality, and helpfulness of the Gulf Fleet were the inspirations for wanting to have a fleet like that just a little bit closer to home. It is the reason that the Central Gulf Fleet was born.

We hope and pray that all of the members of the Gulf Fleet are safe and sound, and that they were able to weather the storm. The Central Gulf Fleet stands ready to help them in any way that we possibly can.

Steve Kuhar,
Fleet Captain, Central Gulf Fleet
Troy Scott

Clear Lake folks and boats

Post by Troy Scott »

Steve,

I agree. If I can help those good folks I hope they'll let me know how. The fact that we haven't heard from any of them is not too surprising, but also not very encouraging. I really hope that they, and the boats, are OK.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Tod Mills

A general report from Watergate Marina, Clear Lake

Post by Tod Mills »

This guy keeps his boat at the Watergate Marina and just checked his and another person's boat. Kind of a general description of the condition of the place too....

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/tra ... ead/655126
Tod Mills
Montgomery 17 "BuscaBrisas", Sandusky, OH (with trips elsewhere)
Tartan 26 project boat
Cape Dory admirer
Troy Scott

a little news!

Post by Troy Scott »

Thanks, Tod!!

I've added a post there requesting more information about the Cape Dory fleet. The floating docks are apparently better than fixed docks during a surge, but only if they are very well anchored. Does anybody know if the Cape Dorys in marinas in Clear Lake were on fixed or floating docks? I believe Steve Kuhar's boat is on a very well-designed floating dock in Pensacola. Steve?
Regards,
Troy Scott
Ocean Girl
Location: 1981 Cape Dory 30 cutter, located at Waterford Harbor, Clear lake, Texas

All I know

Post by Ocean Girl »

Internet is finally up. Just thought I'd give all the info I know. I rode out the storm in Katy which ended up being on the clean side of Ike. My friend who rode out the storm at watergate marina in kemah (dirty dirty side) said that Pier 10 and 11 are completely gone (fixed piers). He thinks The Lauren Leigh (CD30) who is on pier 5 is still floating but not sure and couldn't get to her. The majority of CD at watergate were (I believe) at pier 6 and 7. He did say that the loss of boats (just at watergate) is at least 50 sailboats. He wasn't sure about the powerboats because "they don't have a mast to stick up out of the water to tell you where they're at". The good news is the low loss of life especially considering how many refused the mandatory evacuation.
I will go down as soon as they allow us in and let you know what I find.Sorry if this is a bit convoluted haven't gotten a lot of sleep these last few days. Please pray for us we need it.
Erika

In honor of those helping us pick up the pieces:
The miracle, or the power, that elevates the few is to be found in their industry, application, and perseverance under the prompting of a brave, determined spirit. -Mark Twain
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.
- Errol Flynn

PS I have a blog now!
http://oceangirlcd30.blogspot.com/
Troy Scott

more news

Post by Troy Scott »

Erika,

It's good to hear some news! We've been really worried. Please let us know as you learn more about the situation there.

In my experience, most people away from the destruction just really don't understand about severe hurricanes. I do. let us know how we can help.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Tod M

Pics from Clear Lake

Post by Tod M »