installing ST 2000 tiller pilot (CD25)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

installing ST 2000 tiller pilot (CD25)

Post by John B »

I bought this thing almost a year ago and am now just installing it.

I have seen pictures of ST tiller pilots installed on CD25's and it appears that the placement of them on the cockpit seat do not match what the directions dictate.

I would like to place it just aft of the starboard cockpit locker (on seat.) There it would sit flat and match up w/ the tiller/pin.

Will I have a problem if locate it not exactly as per the directions...ie a couple of inches different than specified.

Thanks for you advice in advance.

I am planning my Sept cruise.

John B
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Installation of ST2000

Post by sgbernd »

If I I remember correctly, the instruction tells you to mount the ST2000 at 90 degrees from the tiller, but that is in a location on the locker cover. I didn't like that idea because the load would work the hinges back and forth continuously. I was afraid it would be noisy and possibly try to work the hinges loose over time as they are seqcured by small bronze screws with a bolt on the other side. I chose to keep the distance from the rudder post as specified and then mounted at a non-right angle to get off the locker cover.

This induces an error as the relative angle of the compass changes depending on the extension of the TP shaft. Consequently, you can neither trust nor calibrate the TP compass reading. On the other hand, I use the GPS and magnetic bulkhead compass for my calibrated heading and just make adjustments to the TP until I get the course I want, so it works ok. It is just always reading the wrong heading. In retrospect, I am not entirely happy with the situation but didn't (and don't) see a better solution.

Were I to need to calibrate the TP (e.g. to interface with GPS), I'd probably have used the locker cover and tried to upgrade the hinge mounting with backing plates to take the continual working.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Here's what it looks like on a CD27.
I glued a large piece of epoxy treated plywood to the underside of the cockpit hatch for the recepticle for the pin on the unit. Drilled a hole through the hatch cover and into the "backing plate" for this. Spreads the load forces over a wider area. I've had the unit at least 3 years and I use it extensively. So far no problems with the hatch or anything else.

Image[/img]
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

Post by John B »

The directions instruct you to place it 90 degrees from the tiller...however at precise lengths... pin on tiller and unit on cockpit seat.

It futher instructs you to utilize brackets customized to each boat in order to match their measurements.

I would like to avoid the use of brackets by installing it where it appears (to me) to be the best location...90 degrees and level and where the pin meets the unit perfectly. This is a few inches off the recommended dimensions.

Will it still work properly? My only use for this thing is to have it hold a course for me.

John

I guess I am not a "rule follower."
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

John,

You can mount it on the coaming board and set up the exact geometry suggested in the instructions.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

Post by John B »

Neil

I am not following you...The coaming is vertical.

Please explain.

Thanks.

John
Ray Garcia

Post by Ray Garcia »

Using a cantilever mounting socket allows you mount it on a vertical surface (coaming boards). I used the mount on my CD27 and it works great. I can leave the cushions in place.

Now if only I can do something about the stereo speakers a previous owner installed. It totally throws off the reading on the TP. Not even close to my compass or GPS.

Easy job to do though. Measure, measure again, use masking tape for establishing holes. Carefully drill and install.

Good luck.

Approx. $60 from Defender
http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1028256
Bob Ohler

Coaming mount is an excellent choice

Post by Bob Ohler »

On a 25D, I did the coaming mount technique suggested previously. If you need to move the entire mount a little aft, you should be alright. I mounted mine exactly per the instructions and I wished I had moved it a little closer to the stern.

Bob O.
Aloha Spirit
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

My CD28 came with a Navico tiller pilot. In order to clear the locker lid, it was mounted a little aft of the optimal location on the tiller and it is not perfectly level (tilts down about 10 degrees). It still works the way it should. Mounting further aft is just a question of leverage. The further aft, the less leverage and the more powerful the tiller pilot needs to be. The modest tilt appears to be a non-issue too. It makes sense that the tiller-pilot's internal compass must be able to compensate. Otherwise, how would it work when the boat is heeled? As noted by sgbernd, the one thing you shouldn't fudge is mounting the tiller pilot at a right angle to the tiller.
John Vigor

I'm with Warren . . .

Post by John Vigor »

John B wrote:The directions instruct you to place it 90 degrees from the tiller...however at precise lengths... pin on tiller and unit on cockpit seat.

It futher instructs you to utilize brackets customized to each boat in order to match their measurements.

I would like to avoid the use of brackets by installing it where it appears (to me) to be the best location...90 degrees and level and where the pin meets the unit perfectly. This is a few inches off the recommended dimensions.

Will it still work properly? My only use for this thing is to have it hold a course for me.

John

I guess I am not a "rule follower."
John, I installed my autopilot on my CD 27 just as Warren Kaplan did in his picture above. It works perfectly. No problem with the locker lid. I recently did a six-week solo circumnavigation of Vancouver Island during which the autopilot did some pretty strenuous steering in heavy, confused Pacific seas, and it handled everything with aplomb.

My pilot shows a few degrees difference from the steering compass but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just set the course by the steering compass and active the autopilot to maintain that course.

It seems to make no difference to its accuracy if I raise or lower the tiller either--my tiller will stay at any angle I want through friction, because I have tightened the aft bolt that holds it to the rudder head.

Cheers,

John Vigor
wesburton

Post by wesburton »

I have the ST4000, which I mounted on the coaming board, of my CD27. It has worked very well for me. When searching for the location, keep in mind the distance from pin to pin. On the ST4000,if I remember correctly, it is 24". This allows for the proper amount of travel of the ram.
John B
Hull #410
Buffalo New York

Post by John B »

Thanks for the insight.

I will install her (just aft of locker) hopefully this weekend.

I am then off for my annual September Lake Erie cruise.

Regards.

JB
The Patriot

Re: I'm with Warren . . .

Post by The Patriot »

John Vigor wrote: ... My pilot shows a few degrees difference from the steering compass but it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just set the course by the steering compass and active the autopilot to maintain that course ...
I have two (2) 2000+ units in service and have fitted the ST-600 wired remote and the S-100 wireless remote, along with wiring necessary to accept 0183 data. These units have been in service since about year 2000.

The reason I mention this is that it may be worthwhile to you to calibrate the A/P as outlined in the owner's manual. This is a 2 step process. First the deviation is addressed by driving the boat in a slow circle and letting the unit "self-calibrate." This can be done with the unit itself, or via one of the remotes. The second step involves adjusting the A/P readout to correspond with the ship's steering compass.

Is this worthwhile? It is if one wishes to set the course for the A/P electronically and have the A/P and the ship's compass correlated (or is it synchronized?). It also makes the 0183 interface work properly. One can set a course from the laptop and anticipate that the actual heading will be correct. Finally it is mildly reassuring when the A/P, the steering compass, and the GPS show numbers within a degree or so of each other.

I don't mean to suggest that any of these methods eliminates the need for constant vigilance, but they do allow one to get a few moments rest between emergencies.
Last edited by The Patriot on Sep 18th, '08, 13:11, edited 1 time in total.
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Post by KDreese »

Slightly off topic... but to the original poster and other CD25 owners with a tiller pilot... what electrical setup do you use to power the tiller pilot? I am planning on upgrading my outboard to one with an alternator and thought that I could use a tiller pilot as well... I havent run all the numbers yet but I am wondering if an alternator on an outboard (that is used mostly for just entering and leaving port - 20 mins per trip) would generate enough juice to charge the batteries enough to keep a tiller pilot running...

If you dont use an alternator what other charging methods would use to keep the batteries topped up for a tiller pilot? Solar panels? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin D
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Small Solar charger & OB Charger

Post by Roy J. »

I haev a charger on my OB and use it about as you do. I supplement with a small 7.5w solar charger. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... &id=986996 This keeps the battery topped up very well.[/img]
Roy Jacobowitz