What's on your feet?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Big E
Salem, MA

What's on your feet?

Post by Big E »

OK CD nation... I'm looking for a pair of deck shoes that can stand up to street wear. This season I bought a cheap pair of sperry's & I am convinced they're responsible for a twisted ankle that cost me 2 weeks of August sailing. Not to mention the embarrassment of slipping on the launch. Call me lazy, but I just don't feel like changing my shoes every time I step on the boat. It feels creepy, like I'm Mr. Rogers or something. Any suggestions? I don't mind spending a few bucks--Two weeks of New England sailing lost is no doubt more costly.
tartansailor

My Pick

Post by tartansailor »

I like Cabela.s top end boat moc.

Dick
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Deck Shoes

Post by Ned Crockett »

I have found that deck shoes lose their usefulness long before the tops wear out. Once the soles harden (lose their grip), its like wearing ice skates on a boat. I am sure most sailors have a shoe rack full of old deck shoes that are so comfortable it would be a sin to throw them away. My solution has been to keep a pair of nylon sailing shoes on board to use when sailing. They look kinda funky, but their grip is great! I have searched cyberspace to find out if the soles can be revitalized, but have had no luck. Will be looking forward to the replies of others to your question.
Carl Thunberg

Sneakers. Yes, with socks.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

Stan laughed at my sneakers, but there's just nothing more darn comfortable than a pair of tennis shoes and socks. Who needs boat shoes? I'll take my sneakers any day.

If there's a chance of getting wet, then I put on my Sperry's, but not until.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Bill Cochrane
s/v Phoenix

Shoes? People wear shoes?

Post by Bill Cochrane »

Ok, I do have a pair of Sebago's that I prefer to Sperry...more arch support, primarily, but that's an individual fit thing.

But I wear them to the boat, and not much of the time on the boat. Probably 90% of the time or more, I'm barefoot on board. Bare feet have a better non-skid surface than any deck shoe I've tried, plus the contact gives me much better feedback about the foothold or lack thereof. I know where the cleats and other toe-grabbers are...CD's have a pretty clean deck layout in that regard, no tracks running along the middle of the side decks, etc.
rtbates

Post by rtbates »

I go barefoot 99% of the time, but when I do need to wear shoes, winter sailing mostly, I wear Merrel's water shoes. Nothing on the planet provides the same level of wet traction and comfort. 100% submersible. http://www.shoes.com/Shopping/ProductDe ... pg=5050596
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Crocks, River Shoes, & Seven7 Jean Co.

Post by Terry »

Interesting post. I like hearing what others do/wear/enjoy.

Down here in Georgia, some folks wear crocks. I don't care for how my feet slip inside them, but am told they grip the deck well. They do keep feet cool, and don't absorb water.

Once and a while I wear Kamik river shoes, especially during deck scrubbing. They grip; they dry easily; they're comfortable, too. The only thing is that the laces don't stay tight with the draw cams, needing to be actually tied.

My current favorite is Seven7 Jean Co. shoes. I bought a pair on sale, cheap, at Kohl's early this summer mainly as I liked their looks--like they'd fit well on a square rigger or a pirate movie. Even the laces were like hemp line. They turned out to be quite comfortable, and while they grip the deck well, they don't catch on things like running shoe edges, which is what I used to always wear. When they went again on sale, I bought another pair, different style. I may buy a third pair, if Kohl's gets my size in while still on sale. Oh, and they don't scuff, either, which my running shoes would do.

Terry
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Post by Mitch F »

I know it sounds odd but one good way to revitalize a pair of boat shoes that suffer from the hardened sole problem is to sand them down with 80 grit on an orbital sander. Once you take off the outer layer of hardened rubber you should find that the soles are as grippy as new.
BillNH

Converse All-Stars...

Post by BillNH »

I've been wearing low Converse All-Stars at sea for a LONG time (not the same pair, of course :) ) both for work and for play, and they're hard to beat. Grip is great and you can throw them in the washing machine when they get funky smelling... Plus you can buy 4 pairs for what you'll pay for a pair of specialized "boat" sneakers.
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I'm with Carl, regular old sneakers or barefoot. I'll usually have a pair of athletic type boat shoes if I'll be in the rain a lot (but with a pilothouse that is almost never). Never liked the fit or feel of the leather moc type boat shoes. The sneakers seem to go from boat to woods and hiking and to town without a problem.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Chris L
Harbor Beach, MI

Merrell Water Shoe

Post by Chris L »

I too wear the Merrell water shoe. They are fantastic, if I do say so. Chris
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I used to like Sperry's boat shoes, but they have really 'slipped' in quality the past few years.....I won't buy another pair. Sebago's are good .....I like the clove-hitch model. I also have a goofy looking pair of Mion currents. One of the most comfortable shoes of any kind I have ever worn, and excellent non-skid soles. Socks ? who wears socks before Halloween ?
________
DRUG TESTING KIT
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I find any decent boat shoe tread goes to crap real quick when used on pavement. Likewise, you just track the shore onto your boat. I know this is not the answer you were seeking though, but I am a firm beleiver of dedicated boat shoes, shore shoes never get worn onboard.

That said, when not going barefoot, my prefered boatshoes are Keen Newports (great in the tropics, not so great far north though). In foul weater I have gill boots.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Phil Shedd
Rothesay NB Canada
Membership # 89

Post by Phil Shedd »

I like L.L. Bean Boat Mocs . I get a new pair each year as I wear them for everthing except work. I can get them in wide where most other makers do not suply a wide. They are great on the boat . I wear them without socks. Once under way I usually go to bare foot

A sure sign of spring is boat mocs and no socks in April. :D

Phil
Last edited by Phil Shedd on Sep 10th, '08, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.
jerryaxler

Boat shoes

Post by jerryaxler »

I started wearing Crocs after taking a very nasty fall while barefoot. Barefeet are not non-skid on wet fiberglass decks. I keep the Crocs at the helm, since I usually sail barefoot, but don them for any movement on deck. A pair of Keens for off and on boat and a pair of Sperry's for cool weather. Foulies are Gills. After reading this I seem to have more footwear than Imelda Marcos.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler