own an iphone?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

rtbates

own an iphone?

Post by rtbates »

If so for $50 it can be a mini chart plotter. Available from the itunes store apps. iNAVX.

The newest gen3 iphone has a built in GPs, but even the older units can benefit by using cell pnone towers along the coast.

Also available for the the "itouch" ipod.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Judith

Communication

Post by Judith »

Fascinating, all the technological possibilities--especially the array of integrated functions.

We've been eyeing this one for a while: http://www.findmespot.com/Home.aspx
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Ron Churgin

Here Spot?

Post by Ron Churgin »

Interesting, Judith. Can this take the place of an EPIRB?
Ron Churgin
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I believe the find me spot is reviewed in Practical Sailor this month. Haven't red it yet.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
Judith

EPIRB?

Post by Judith »

Here's where I confess: I have only the most basic (hazy) notion of what an EPIRB does. It does look like the Spot might be an alternative, though. . .Here's their explanation of Emergency Assistance capabilities http://www.findmespot.com/ExperiencingS ... tance.aspx

If I interpret their literature correctly, it can, apparently, also be used as an Internet connection for email and as a cellphone--sort of a la Blackberry.

I hope Practical Sailor DOES review it. It'll be interesting to see what they say.
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Warren S

Cape Dory 270 Hull #5

Washington, NC

I really dig the concept

Post by Warren S »

EPIRB seems like an all-or-nothing situation, leaving you with the decision of: "do I call out the cavalry due to my own stupidity".

The SPOT is good because you can configure your own level of "notification" if you will. The subscription (which is incredibly cheap) gives you access to their servers to, as Judy pointed out, send e-mails. The cool thing is, you pre-create a variety of messages that would be sent according to the level of urgency. Everything from "we are OK, look at our progress, man!" along with coordinates, to "mayday" - direct to their emergency center, or the coast guard for that matter, (you decide the e-mail recipient) again with coordinates. I believe you can cancel the emergency becon, I might be mistaken.

There is an add-on that pops up Google Maps in the receiver's PC and will plot your progress. It's pretty hot.

And, they have an emergency call center that you can effectively ping in a dire emergency (via ominous red button), and they handle the rescue. That's right. there is actually a promotion going on where "helicopter extraction" (I kid you not) is offered at a reduced fee "if you act now". It's almost hilarious. I almost bought one on mpulse, but we just don't have the time do do any serious cruising :-(
"Being hove to in a long gale is the most boring way of being terrified I know." -Donald Hamilton
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

battery life

Post by Gary M »

FWIW,

It sounds like an interesting back up, but I've heard the battery life isn't all that impresive.

Is that correct?

Gary
Steve Behnke
"Altariel", Juneau, Alaska

Great for parents!

Post by Steve Behnke »

My son and 2 friends took one on an 7 week sea kayaking trip in remote Prince William Sound. It was sure great to get a daily e-mail message "We're OK", and a link to Google Earth showing where they were!