CD25. . a share? sell?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

CD25. . a share? sell?

Post by henry hey »

Hi Folks.

We are starting in the most beautiful sailing season here in the northwest. I was aboard a bit today and although the winds were flukey, it was nice.

My CD25 is in pretty nice shape. The bright work is in very good shape (since I refinished all of it), the cushions and covers are nearly brand new (I made new ones), It has a new raymarine sounder, new radio, and ST1000 tillerpilot.

I have also done some relatively major rigging modifications in that I installed an under-mast plate, organizers and rope clutches to allow all the halyards and reef lines to come back to the two winches on the cabin top.

I love this little boat but I'm feeling that perhaps I will either sell her or possibly try to find someone who is truly interested in sharing this boat.

As we all know, Cape Dorys are fantastic vessels - deserving of the work we put into them. Mine is just not getting sailed enough right now. I have been sailing plenty but half of it is via other opportunities.

Have any of you ever been involved in a sailboat sharing situation? I am speaking of a real sharing of annual expenses and work. Maybe even sharing title.

I'm almost thinking of selling my cd25 and moving to a larger cruising boat (to share). Dunno. . just thinking out loud. I must keep sailing, just want to find a way that makes sense financially and practically.

I welcome the vast knowledge of our cape dory group.

-henry
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Henry,

I cannot help you with boat sharing experiences but I've been in partnerships before (business). If boat sharing is anything like business "sharing" you have to make sure your "partner" sees eye to eye with you on just about everything or else this could turn into an "annoyance" at best and a disaster at worst.

Just an observation before you get to far down the line with this.

(Hasn't the sailing on the Sound been great the past two days!!!)
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Sharing! What a subject!

Post by trapper »

I am going to give you the extreme end! My husband is retired and I ( with any luck) am not far behind-- We share everything --EXCEPT sailboats. He has his Colvic Victor and I have my Cape Dory 25D. There are lots of reasons-- I cant sail the Colvic(40' ketch) by myself-- I can single hand the CD; I can trailer the CD, the list goes on. I am Capt on my boat and he is Capt on his. I am responsible for mine--he is responsible for his. I know my systems and he knows his (he knows mine too. I do not all of know his).

PARTNERS NEVER--I had been off the water for a number of years. I partnered with my brother on a small boat. I wont go into the details but he left the boat in such a condition that it sank within 30 min after I took her out! I know, I know--I was Capt. at that point-- but he left the boat in violation of every rule we had and the relevant violations were hidden. In the end-it was my fault because I was Capt-- partner--NEVER PARTNER!

Enjoy your little boat! Think long and hard on whether your really need a larger boat! IMHO (worth what you paid for it :D )
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

To me part of the joy of owning my CD is being the Captain. That means doing the research, making the repairs, figuring out the logistics of going out and being responsible. In my humble opinion sharing would be difficult because as one can read on this board there are many different ways to skin a cat. There could be a ton of problems when your partner disagree about little things like Cetol or Varnish!

If being the owner isn't fun anymore another option might be to join a sailing club or association that has a bunch of boats. They have them here in San Diego. One pays a nominal fee each month and then rent the boats at a great discount. The benefit is that you can take out a 45' boat for you and a group, and then take out a 22' boat when you want to solo.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I had friends at the marina who went in together on a boat. Four friends and they time-shared the boat. Over time, where to keep the boat, what to upgrade, maintain and/or replace, bottom painting and other seasonal prep, etc., etc., were hard to manage and keep balanced. Joint ownership can work but it's not easy.

If the boat has idle time and you have someone who would time share, consider one owner and time sharing for a fixed fee or a fee based on use. Have a contract for one season. (Check with your insurance company, too.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698