Typhoon paint job

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

bluestar

Typhoon paint job

Post by bluestar »

I'm in the process of restoring my 1975 Typhoon and would like to have it professionally painted. Topsides, deck and coach roof. Anyone have any experience with this. Any suggestions/tips? Anyone have an idea what it'll cost to have a proper paint job done. Thanks for any help. "Bluestar"
Blue Star
shavdog

Sounds Fun

Post by shavdog »

And Maybe Expensive....i'd keep in mind these boats dont sell for much more than 6k.....you can do alot of cosmetic things and they look great...good luck to you..craig
Riptide
Riptide

Not a bad DIY Job

Post by Riptide »

Blue

You might want to do it yourself. I'm in the process and others on the site have quite a bit of experience to help you. Good luck and send pictures.

Mike
bluestar

Typhoon paint job

Post by bluestar »

Thanks for your replys. I'll consider doing it myself. Thanks again.
George Steenson "Bluestar"
Blue Star
John Ring

Roll & Tip

Post by John Ring »

A professional paint job is outrageously expensive, usually more than the cost of a Typhoon.

Do a little research on "Roll & Tip" method of boat painting. You may also want to look into the newer two part polyurethane yacht paints, such as Interlux Perfection.

My daughter just picked up an old Blue Jay sloop, and we'll be painting soon too. If you take your time and do good prep work, the results can be nothing short of amazing.

Good luck!

John Ring
CD28 Tantalus
Sailing involves the courage to cherish adventure and the wisdom to fear danger. Knowing where one ends, and the other begins, makes all the difference.
Tod M

This guy discusses his painting experience...

Post by Tod M »

Some pretty interesting observations here...

http://t30makeover.com/id37.html

John, my nephew recently sold a Blue Jay to some guy in NYC for a store display, of all things:

http://s2sailor.110mb.com/bluejay.htm