Bimini Suggestions for CD-25

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

Bimini Suggestions for CD-25

Post by Terry »

Hi all,

Any advice on buying and installing a bimini on Cassandra, my 1977 CD-25.

Thanks in advance. Terry
tartansailor

Not Much Headroom

Post by tartansailor »

Interesting thread, as I would like to rig same.
Searching the archives will give you a wealth of information.
I'm inclined toward spreading a sheet under the boom.
Let us know what you decide to install.

Dick
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

The bimini that came with Brigitta (my last CD25) was more of a nuisance than help for me... but I also sailed solo and raced a lot. It was occasionally handy when just cruising around and either the kids got too hot or a shower popped up. I liked that fact that it did not cover the entire cockpit - I could sit well aft and still keep an eye on sail trim and enjoy the sun. When sailing alone, I always left it tied to the dock (which is exactly where the bimini for KAYLA has lived for several years now!).

My biggest complaint with most biminis is interference trimming sails (even when not deployed) and being able to read the main. They usually make moving about the boat an exercise in gymnastics, too. Once at anchor, a shade/rain cover can be great so I plan to build something that can be easily stowed and deployed for just such occasions.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Bimini

Post by trapper »

Well-- below is my first attempt at building a bimini on Saga, my 25D. Did not do a very good job, but I will try again.

As it is, it still keeps us shaded. I am going to try to put a window in the next one to help with viewing sail.

You could not use it if you were racing. You cannot keep a close enough eye on sail trim or anything else for that matter-- but here in SC the summer is unbearable without a bimini. It really cools off the cockpit and helps cool off the cabin. It probably should be stowed if you do not have someone else onboard for a lookout. But for a lazy afternoon sail in 95 +, it is a must!

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i206.photobucket.com/player.swf? ... V02463.flv">
twkratz
Location: Cape Dory 25...Surprise...Great Kills Harbor, Staten Island, N.Y.

Post by twkratz »

My Mom (84 years old) and I ran up a boom awning from a canvas drop cloth I'd bought at Home Depot. It is about 8ft X 7ft, with a bolt rope sewn in all the way around, and covers all of the companion way hatch out to the end of the boom. It is supported over the boom by spreaders that are made out of shock corded flexible nylon doMe tent supports (bought 'em at Campmore) that are installed in pockets made from 1 inch nylon webbing that run the width of the awning. It is held down with light line strung through grommets installed in hanging tabs made from the one inch nylon at the forward end of the grab rails on the cabin top, and the jib sheet cleats on the coamings and the eye on the stern rail that the life lines attach to. It lays out almost flat and I have had it set on my CD25 in about 20 knots of wind and flutters just ever so slightly. If it get windier than that or starts to rain, I can snug down the tie downs to give it a greater arch and give the cock pit a little more protection. Folks from all over the harbor (Great Kills in Staten Island) come over and ask me where I bought it, and don't believe me when I tell them my Mom made it for me.
The purpose of life is to have fun and be happy.
mgphl52

Got any pictures?

Post by mgphl52 »

twkratz wrote:My Mom (84 years old) and I ran up a boom awning from a canvas drop cloth I'd bought at Home Depot. It is about 8ft X 7ft, with a bolt rope sewn in all the way around, and covers all of the companion way hatch out to the end of the boom. It is supported over the boom by spreaders that are made out of shock corded flexible nylon doMe tent supports (bought 'em at Campmore) that are installed in pockets made from 1 inch nylon webbing that run the width of the awning. It is held down with light line strung through grommets installed in hanging tabs made from the one inch nylon at the forward end of the grab rails on the cabin top, and the jib sheet cleats on the coamings and the eye on the stern rail that the life lines attach to. It lays out almost flat and I have had it set on my CD25 in about 20 knots of wind and flutters just ever so slightly. If it get windier than that or starts to rain, I can snug down the tie downs to give it a greater arch and give the cock pit a little more protection. Folks from all over the harbor (Great Kills in Staten Island) come over and ask me where I bought it, and don't believe me when I tell them my Mom made it for me.
I, for one, would love to see a shot of the final assembly! It sounds great, especially for at the slip or on anchor.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Judith

Bimini

Post by Judith »

Here in North Carolina a bimini is almost a must during the summer. Fortunately--and UNfortunately--one came with our boat. While we were grateful for the shade, we also cursed the way it complicated access to the cockpit and blocked our view of the sail/mast.

The cursing part went WAY down, however, when I put a window in the bimini. I made ours fairly small, about 10" x 20". It was easy, inexpensive, and doesn't really affect the shade function--PLUS we use it continuously every time we're out. We're still just starting on all the projects we have in mind for Morveren. But so far, I'd have to say, this has been the most day-to-day useful.

If you go for a bimini, I'd highly recommend putting in a window.

Cheers,
Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
fwbouf

Bimini

Post by fwbouf »

I had a bimini custom made for my CD 25 by a local sail maker......the shade is great...access to the mast is a little awkward but manageable........and it is hard to see the mast head..........sitting headroom is more than adequate........a window seems like a great idea.

I am not a racer.....and so, on the advice of the sail maker, I had the main sail recut........basically he removed a triangle about 10-12 inches on the leech of the main. Recutting the sail allowed more headroom and I can still close haul the main without the boom touching the frame of the bimini. I can see no significant reduction in sail performance.......but that is from a cruiser's viewpoint.

Bill Boufford
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

BIMINI for CD-25

Post by Zeida »

Above is my old CD-25 with her Bimini, which was absolutely necessary for sailing in Biscayne Bay and the Fla Keys. I am basically a cruiser -not a racer- so for me, a bimini to keep me and the boat cooler, was a must. I never felt it interfered with anything. Looking up at the sails? just poke your head outside of the bimini. Once you set the sails properly, you don't have to be looking up at them 100% of the time. Getting in and out of the cockpit? Never felt a major inconvenience. The pros outweighed the cons. It was priceless. Those few times when I really did not want it up, it was easy enough to fold down -forward, on top of the companionway hatch- and it never bothered me at all. I never had to modify the mainsail. just raise the boom a tiny bit to make sure it did not rub. In the wintertime in FL. when the bimini was not an absolute necessity, i just folded it down and went sailing. My bimini was precious, and I wondered how I had ever been able to have the boat without it.
Zeida
CDSOA Member
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Not a bimini, but a boom tent that works well for what it is. The pvc inserted are sagging a bit. I will need to replace them to make it stand up a little more. (click to see a larger image)

zeida your boat was nice looking. Those bronze ports make such a difference.
frankfurder

25d Bimini-finally!

Post by frankfurder »

I finally got a bimini made for my 25d and I love it! It is not much different from trappers, but I split it with forward and aft bows to allow easier access forward and boarding. A modified 4 bow bimini.

I raised the boom 6" to provide adequate clearance and the only other modification was to mount the jib sheet cleats on the inside of the rail as opposed to the outside.

Rear boom mounts between winch and cleat, front boom mounts on side of cabin. I had a zipper installed between the front and aft bows so I could fold them down out of the way.

If i can figure out how to attach a photo, that will be next.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Bimini pics

Post by trapper »

Frankfurder, I would love to see your pics. I made mine on frames that came with the boat. I did a poor job so I am going to do it again. I would love to see some possible mods.

I will try to get pics of mine this weekend and post later.
Terry
Lake Lanier, North Georgia
www.jonahzsong.com

What I've Learned So Far

Post by Terry »

Thanks to all who've responded with insights.

I also did a search of previous postings, which was valuable.

What I've learned so far is that there are a lot of great solutions to putting bit of shade over my head, each with some strong points and some compromising.

I didn't want to cut the sail and raise the boom to add heigth, so figured I'd deal with a sort of standard unit mounted just inside the toe rail. Then, at The Sail Loft, I talked to Wayne who drew a diagram of some he's built for CD-25s in the past. Wayne is a CD owner and lover himself. He would use two separate bows, which one of you did, that would allow easier access to step in. Another benefit is that I'd not have to move the ladder mounts that are currently installed, and the winches and cleats wouldn't be affected. To allow greater head room, he suggests adding a short reefing point in the mains'l to lift the boom end about four inches.

I didn't discuss prices, but think it will be much more expensive than ordering a standard unit "off the shelf."

I think I'm hesitating a bit wondering if I want to move my mains'l winch to the cabin to avoid the climb around the bow.

Anyway, I appreciate all the types and photos. When I do mount a bimini, I'll be sure to post photos.

LORD Bless you all, Terry
KDreese
Hingham, MA

I would buy one

Post by KDreese »

I am VERY interested in your solution to the bimini question on the CD25... so much so that I may be selling my CD25 in order to buy a boat that could accomodate a bimini... my wife has sun related issues (lupus) so I end up sailing 99% by myself.

I greatly underestimated this particular factor when buying a CD 25 (my first boat), and I would love to have some shade so she could sail with me. Do you have particulars on the design, measurements, and the contact information for the vendor? Would he give a discount for a group sale? Maybe we could get enough owners of CD25's together to buy a couple? Even without the group discount I might be interested in buying one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Kevin D
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

not worth moving the mainsail winch on CD-25

Post by Roy J. »

Unless you have a specific reason or particular need for the main winch, I wouldn't bother moving it to the coach roof. Auburn's winch is on the cabintop, but I never use it. I do use the cam cleat mounted on the coach roof to secure the main halyard, but the sail is small enough to haul up easily by hand standing in the cockpit. My wife has no trouble hauling the main this way either, and she claims not very much upper body strength. This way we handle the main from the cockpit, but without using the winch. Moving the winch might be more trouble than it is worth.
Roy Jacobowitz