more on 25D in Ireland

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

odie lingle

more on 25D in Ireland

Post by odie lingle »

I am back in the U.S. now, having left my boat in Malahide, Ireland, just north of Dublin. I was headed up the Irish Sea to Scotland when my engine quit. An electrical problem I think but it was still not resolved when I had the boat hauled and stored for the winter at Malahide Marina. I believe in his book "Twenty Small Sailboats....." John Vigor points out the weakness of the location of the 25D's instrument panel, down in the cockpit. I think that is what did me in as I had a cockpit full of water more than once sailing from the Azores to Ireland. I tried to trace the short but ran out of time and had to leave it for the yard to find. My plan is to go back the end of May next year and take the Caledonia canal thru Scotland and sail on to Norway, Denmark, and Sweden...........we will see.

The folks in Ireland were very impressed with my solo passage across the Atlantic in such a small boat. The boat is certainly capable, I can't believe how she held up in the storms we encountered. I don't have any way to measure wave height or wind speed but from the Beaufort scale pictures I would say we had a least one ten and several eights over the last two summers. And on the trip from the Azores to Ireland a six was a restful day...........:) I was wet so much after the 15 day passage my fingers began to deteriorate. They are well now after several weeks on land. Also I met a German couple and a Norwegian fellow in the Azores and then again in Ireland. They were both finishing a one year Atlantic circumnavigation and said this leg had been the roughest weather of their voyage. The German couple's foredeck and port side had been cracked open by a wave that had hit them. I had never seen that before.

I really encountered few problems with the boat while at sea. I thought my tiller bearing was goinig out because I could hear a squeak so I greased the heck out of it for two days. Turned out it was a block the windvane rope ran thru and by the time I discovered that, the rope on the windvane had chaffed so I had to retie it. The pin that holds the boom to the mast fell out on the deck one day. A true miracle from God in that I was standing on the deck at the time and it fell at my feet. I checked my rigging daily after that.

I did have my rigging and sails inspected before I left. I figured out a way to secure everything below in case of a knockdown or rollover. I bought an inflatable life jacket and ran a jackline from the bow to the stern and always hooked on when I went outside. Also put a new Yanmar 1GM in, not out of choice but necessity. Bought a life raft and a spare GPS and an EPIRB and a Monitor windvane. The windvane is a necessity in my opinion. I went thru two autohelms on my trip across and met several other sailors who had lost their electronic steering for some reason. The windvane requires no electricity and no engine. I only used the autohelm when motoring. The first one that died was old so not unexpected that it quit. The second was brand new and was replaced no charge by Ray marine when I got to Ireland. Had about everything else I needed on the boat from time spent lake sailing. I did rent a satellite phone, I don't have any other communication except my cabin radio and a handheld radio.

I only carry three sails, the main, the jib and a spare jib. Told you I'm not much of a sailor. A better inventory would have been helpful in all the bad weather assuming I could have properly used it. I sailed from Bermuda to the Azores though (2,000 American miles) on the jib alone in 23 days. The reason was I blew out my main the second day out of Bermuda and it had taken all the courage and energy I had to leave Bermuda. I was afraid if I went back to get the main repaired I wouldn't leave again. Not a very smart thing to do but I was more afraid of giving up on a dream that I had had for 25 years than I was of sailing 2000 miles with just the jib.

In a way ocean sailing is a lot easier than lake or coastal sailing. You don't have to worry as much about other ships, running aground, and tides. You don't have to drop an anchor or manuever in and out of a marina. And generally it's easier to navigate, you got the same waypoint for hundreds or thousands of miles.
Most of the time though I was scared to death out there. Afraid of bad weather, of the shipping traffic, and of something breaking and I not being able to fix it. I prayed and read the Bible a lot. And, I'm ready to go back....................:)

Odie
Noel Heslop
Location: Cape Dory 25D #141, "Breezy", Lake Macquarie, East Coast of Australia

Congratulations Odie

Post by Noel Heslop »

Mate, great trip.

The more I read the board the more I am impressed with the achievements of everyone.
Noel Heslop CD25D #141 "Breezy"
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Great Job!

Post by trapper »

Did you keep a log? We would love to hear more.
boom2it

1983 CD Typhoon

City Island, NY

Sláinte.....

Post by boom2it »

Look forward to hearing more of your crossing.
Gene
Gael Force
City Island NY
83 TY WKNDR
rtbates

great to hear from you

Post by rtbates »

It's great to hear from you Odie.

And it's certainly nice to hear from a fellow 25D owner putting her to the ultimate test, crossing oceans.

I always thought that the engine control panel was in a vunerable position. Guess I'll complete my plan to seal it up!

I admire your courage to face your fears and go forward.
Randy 25D Seraph #161
fenixrises

Post by fenixrises »

Hi Odie,

Great report Odie. Good to hear you made your destination in one piece. It sounds like you have had far more of the nasties than I. But then again that's why what I'm doing is called the "Coconut Milk Run".

Al Lien of Catalyst, a Nor'Sea27 blew his main out going to Hawaii. And that's after having it repaired in Panama, but it was already an old sail. Anyway he did a large portion of that leg with jib only and still had a pretty good passage.

As for the engine panel. If you can, mount it below somewhere. Parallel the start wiring to a rubber enclosed pushbutton switch mounted in a seat locker or the laz. That's all you need and even it needn't be in an exposed position.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your trip to the north countries.
Fred
You should always have an odd number of holes in your boat!
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

A Modest Man

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

You sound like a very modest guy. But we all thank you for sharing your experiences with us. Honesty about fear is especially helpful. I thank you for sharing the stories of your experience. What is interesting is that you had some very tough passages and want to go on!!!!!!. Since I fall into the category of "not much of a sailor" reading your description has raised my sights. Please keep us all posted from time to time. Welcome home (for a while).
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
mike ritenour

Engine panel

Post by mike ritenour »

Odie,

First of all, a big congrats on your voyage, its one hell of an accomplishment and a major milestone in any sailors career. Good on you mate!

I totally appreciate your thoughts on fear. From the time I splash LaVida for a voyage to the time she's safely on her cradle I'm a worrier, about everything.

LaVida also suffers from a wave vunerable engine panel. During several ocean passages I've been pooped, resulting in a flooded engine panel. Its not a lot of fun trying to take it apart and dry it out, while bouncing about in the Atlantic.

My temporary answer, although a low tech solution, is to take a piece of thin plexiglass and some 500mph 3M duct tape and seal it up. I imagine visquine (sp) would work just as well. Not very fancy, but it keeps the water out.

BTW, what is the latest on the V.A.T. and the 18 month limit? Did you put her in bond to extend your cruising window?

I lived in Scotland for a very long time. It would be fun to compare cruising notes. If you'd like, PM me and we can chat .

All the Best
Rit
odie lingle

Post by odie lingle »

Thankyou for all your kind words. I question myself if I am brave or crazy, determined or hardheaded, etc. I did try to be prepared as best I could before I left. You can't do everything before you leave though, but the ones you fail to do will be the ones that come back to bite you, like not replacing the cutlass bearing and not taking care of the engine control panel location.

Something that will make you all proud...........When I was hauled in Ireland the Yard manager of the 350 slip marina looked over my boat and said "She's a solid little boat." And in the Azores I was working in the cockpit one day when an American fellow came walking down the dock. "Is that a Cape Dory?" he asked. He was a delivery captain and was on his way to catch a plane home so we didn't have time to talk much. Makes you feel proud though when your little boat is recognized.

Odie
Jeff G

Monitor on a 25D

Post by Jeff G »

Odie, what an amazing accomplishment. Did you find that the Monitor windvane added significant weight on the the stern of your boat?
odie lingle

Post by odie lingle »

I don't think the weight of the Monitor was a problem. I do try to keep the boat balanced as much as possible, watching what I put in the bow anchor locker and the two cockpit lockers. But it is difficult to do since as you consume fuel, water, food etc the balance shifts. Also I weigh over two hundred pounds so when I move around the boat I'm shifting the weight distribution a lot.............:) This did seem to cause a little bit of a problem if for example I set the monitor while I was sitting on the starboard side and then went below to take a nap on the port side. It could have been my imagination but it seemed like a lot of times I would have everything set and running well and when I went below they would go to hell.

I had someone install the Monitor for me in Florida. It was a job I could have done myself but I was in a hurry. I think he did a good job except the paddle is not far enough in the water so what happens is when the stern comes completely out of the water (as it often does in rough seas) the tiller flops around. This is not the installers fault though. We called the Monitor people because the installation instructions clearly state how far the paddle should be in the water. Mine wasn't coming out that way though but the Monitor people said it would be okay, but it's not. I don't know if the mounting bracket are wrong or what. I assume they used the specs from the Monitor sold to Mike Hunter, who also had a 25D he took to the South Pacific.

My point of this is I love the Monitor but if you buy one be sure the paddle is down in the water like the installation instructions say.

Odie