prop puller

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gpb102030

prop puller

Post by gpb102030 »

I have a CD26D 87 i don't think the prop has ever been off. I made a prop puller out of 1/4 inch steel three 3/8 bolts (3 blade prop) as per don casey in this old boats design and one that i am familiar with. I have sprayed it with pb blaster for days. I put some heat from a mapp gas torch. but still hasn't moved. It is a bronze prop and shaft. the end of the shaft has cracked off a bit of the patina and i am afraid if i spend the 100 bucks on the big puller it might just crush the cotter pin holes in the end of the shaft. are there any bright ideas on something i am forgetting? one other question I just striped all of the bottom paint off of the hull is it normal that the rudder was not gellcoated? Thanks Greg
gpb102030
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Pulling The Wheel

Post by Oswego John »

gpb102030,

I've had some luck when pulling the wheel by applying some pressure with the puller and jarring the unit with a dead blow hammer.

Good luck,
O J
tartansailor

Rent a Puller

Post by tartansailor »

Most tool rental shops carry them.
Rent the biggest one they have.

I do not know what it is about certain props.
Some you loosen the locking nut, and gun the engine in
reverse, and off she comes.
The last prop we tried to pull just would not give. Wound up
cutting the shaft.

Just to see how tight that prop was, we put it in a 20 ton bearing
press and when she finally broke free, the noise was truly frightening.

I hope yours is an easy fix.

Dick.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

use a 3 jaw puller and hammer

Post by Kurt »

First, put a considerable amount of pressure on the end of the shaft using a large 3 jaw puller. Then, start tapping the hub of the prop with a large hammer (20oz) from the SIDE...do not hit the end of the shaft with the hammer. Start tapping with increasingly harder raps. The vibration you set up with each tap will hopefully pop the prop off the shaft. Be prepared for the prop to shoot right off the end with considerable force. You might want to loosely tie off the blades to the jack stands or cradle to limit it's movement when it breaks free. good luck!