off topic-tanzer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

kriss

off topic-tanzer

Post by kriss »

any of you experienced sailers familiar with the tanzer 22? my search may be shifting over in that direction due to local availability..thanks. :?:
novotny
Location: 1977 Typhoon #1453 and 1966 Pearson Electra #330 "Imagination" in Buffalo, NY

Post by novotny »

Hi, I owned one for 12 years. I had the shoal keel/cb model and it was a well build, safe and responsive boat with a large owners assoc. backing it. It doesnt have the classic looks of C. Alberg designs of which I own two now (a Typhoon and a Pearson Electra) but it is a worthy boat for you to consider. Google Tanzer for their association website. Good luck.
Dick Villamil

Tanzer 22

Post by Dick Villamil »

I have sailed on a Tanzer 22 many times as well as race against them for the past 30 years. This boat sails and feels like a much bigger boat and can handle some pretty stiff breeze and heavy seas. I remember sailing the length of Lake Champlain in 15-25 knots of wind - much of it with the spinnaker up and she was rock solid. Going to weather we buried the bow in 6' waves and she just shook off the water and kept on trucking! The T22 doesn't have much headrom but you can sit on the porta potti OK while staying below! Berths are comfortable for 4 (better then the Typhoon but it is 4 feet longer). The keel model is stable and points well. The 170% genoa is the preferred headsail for under 15 knots of wind apparent. The cast iron keel needs to be kept clean and painted or it will rust. Lifelines are somwehat awkward (stainless tubing and cable) but essential for heavy weather sailing. You should be able o find one for $3800 - $4800. I am not familiar with the centerboard model.