Smaller dinghys

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dugout

Re: Canoe??

Post by dugout »

tartansailor wrote:I have a 15' Old Towne square stern with a 2 hp outboard.
Do not have a clew as to how it will work out. Biggest fear is that
it will flip out in the Atlantic, but for gunk holing, it should be ok?
We'll see and post later.
Dick
Dick;
I have the same boat. I think it was called the 15 Discovery and Old Town doesn't seem to make it anymore in a sq. stern. I saw it for sale on the side of the road, bought it on a whim, and have found it to be quite the able craft. It rows great, two folks can paddle it, and the little 2hp honda on it moves it along at a good clip. I've poled it and sculled it, too. Two can easily get it on and off roof racks. We have had three double chubby guys, the Lab, decoys, and all the trimmings in it without even the slightest concern, on back waters. It's also good for tending the mooring here at the house. It's one of the most ubiquitous "tools" I own. One can launch it anywhere. It's a do anything boat for those of us who haven't warmed up to kayaks, yet. I have raced my daughter in her kayak, me pulling it with 7' Ash oars. She wins but it's a respectable finsh and a good work out.

As you might tell, I really like this boat, however, I'm not sure I would tow it in open ocean. I favor the deflated inflatable, bagged, and lashed on deck along with the compromises it represents.

Ed
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Dinghies

Post by Oswego John »

One of the most memorable, reliable, all around useful dinghies that I owned was one that I bought at Sears Roebuck.

It was a J C Higgins brand, made of aluminum and officially endorsed by no one other than Ted Williams himself.

It was sturdy yet surprisingly light of weight and it rowed like a dream.

I don't know if they even make aluminum dinks anymore.

O J
tartansailor

"most ubiquitous "tools" I own."

Post by tartansailor »

Ed.
Glad you like your boat.
We'll have to meet some time and form a regatta.
Dick
The Patriot

Re: Dinghies

Post by The Patriot »

Oswego John wrote:One of the most memorable, reliable, all around useful dinghies that I owned was one that I bought at Sears Roebuck ... It was a J C Higgins brand, made of aluminum and officially endorsed by no one other than Ted Williams himself ... It was sturdy yet surprisingly light of weight and it rowed like a dream ... I don't know if they even make aluminum dinks anymore ...
A friend from Florida rigged a Sears Gamefisher 12 foot aluminum boat as a dinghy. He added some extra flotation and covered the rubrail with a split length of 3" white plastic hose for fendering. With about a 5 HP outboard that boat could get near 40 MPH in flat water, and we once carried 6 people safely for dinner. It also towed well and was essentially one helluva good boat. The only negative for me was that aluminum boats seem to be a bit "louder" in use when compared to GRP boats.

If boat size prevents carrying the dink on deck in the first place, it may make good sense to get something bigger and more stable and just be done with it.
Steve Laume

Towing a canoe

Post by Steve Laume »

Canoes are the most versatile boat in the world. I can't remember the author's name but I read a book that I believe was called "Beyond the Paddle". It talked about poling, lining and even traveling over thin ice with a canoe. They did not discuss towing but part of the lining info would be very helpful.

Most canoes are set up very poorly for towing. The painters are attached way too high so as soon as the boat moves out to the side of the mother ship the high attachment point wants to roll it over. This applies to all boats. What the the author suggested for lining was to make up a Y shaped bridle that attaches to the thwarts. The Y splice is centered under the keel and the long line is lead to whatever is pulling the canoe. This would create a bit more resistance while towing but the canoe is extremely stable attached in this way.

I have a CD-10 which I tow. It is a beautiful little boat and rows very nicely with 7Ft Shaw and Tenny's. I cable lock the oars to the boat. I love to row and will have a very hard time switching to an inflatable when longer crossings dictate the need.

I added a second towing ring just above the water line. If I have any doubts I double up the tow line going to two different attachment points with chafe protection.

I know it would be safer to get an inflatable but I am holding out for now, Steve,
AnnapolisMark

Chesapeake Light Craft - Eastport Pram

Post by AnnapolisMark »

You may also want to consider building a Chesapeake Light Craft (clcboats.com) Eastport Pram. I have one hanging on davits on the back of Brandywine. She is the perfect sailing and rowing dinghy with plenty of capacity for two adults and supplies. She also motors well with the Torquedo electric outboard.

Mark
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I Can attest to the good use of Nesting dinghy built by my brother. It is perfect for me. We nest it on our 33. I bet it would do fine on a smaller boat too. When set up it is 11' and rows lovely.

If you want to try building one try the Nutshell pram be Joel White. You can go to a class at the North House Folk School and come out with one if you have the time. Very nice tender.

http://www.northhouse.org

All the best,
Paul
Troy Scott

portland pudgy

Post by Troy Scott »

Regards,
Troy Scott
JWSutcliffe

Smaller Dinghies

Post by JWSutcliffe »

We use a 7'11" Dyer Dhow, and find it quite stable with 3 people. It also tows very well, with little drag. At the marina it sits crossways on the cabin top.

rtbates

Post by rtbates »

We have one if thesehttp://www.porta-bote.com/.
They row incredibly well. Folded it sits on the side deck of our 25D, lashed to the lifeline stantions/
Randy 25D Seraph #161
Judith

Thanks for the input, Randy.

Post by Judith »

I've looked at these many times, just never heard from anybody who had one.

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.