Question about 25d for sale in Maine

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Tom Javor

Question about 25d for sale in Maine

Post by Tom Javor »

HAs anyone looked at the the 25D that is for sale at the Great Island Boatyard in Harpswell, Me? If so, I'm curious what you can tell me about the condition, etc.

Thanks
TJ
Tim Mertinooke

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

This may be the CD25D that I looked at for a friend a couple years ago. My overall impression was not great considering he wanted 20k and would not negotiate. I seem to remember some sloppy wiring and when I asked about the garboard plug near the base of the keel he mentioned to me that there was a crack along the bottom of the keel that was repaired at the yard. A wee bit surprised about discovering this detail I pressed him on the nature of the damage and the specifics of the repair but he tried to change the subject telling me not to worry and that it was "stronger" now than before the repair. Asking how it happened he told me that the hauling truck "bumped" the bottom too hard when putting on the hard. We all know it would take quite a bit to crack the bottom of a keel on most boats, but a CD25D! It must have been dropped. I'm sure the boat is fine it just wasn't as nice as the literature and the guy selling it led me to believe prior to driving two hours to see it.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
GB
La Pointe, Madeline Island, Lake Superior

Crack

Post by GB »

The damage to the keel can easily be caused by more than a "drop". Running into a rock reef could do it. The repair if done right can be just as strong if not stronger. By using modern types of fiberglass, epoxy, and the correct repair techniques the repair can be extremely strong. That being said, I have no idea how this boat was repaired or for that matter the nature of the damage. It could be full of auto bondo for all I know.
gbe
Tim Mertinooke

Re: Crack

Post by Tim Mertinooke »

GB wrote: The repair if done right can be just as strong if not stronger. By using modern types of fiberglass, epoxy, and the correct repair techniques the repair can be extremely strong.

True. You will appreciate seeing the work I did on my previous boat. http://www.mrmert.com/ariel24/project%20keel.html
GB wrote:That being said, I have no idea how this boat was repaired or for that matter the nature of the damage. It could be full of auto bondo for all I know.
Very true, and my thought exactly. I'm sure the boat and repair are fine, but a premium priced boat with no wiggle room to negotiate calls for a hull that has never been breached in my mind. As with all repairs, there are unknowns and if the price were lowered to reflect this fact it would indeed have been a boat worth considering.

A friend of mine who has a 25D said he was stopped short after hitting an old mooring block at low tide going five knots. Upon haulout and close inspection that fall he had trouble seeing where he hit the block. Those hulls are very strong.
CD26 #52
"Odyssey"
Tom Javor

nice repair work

Post by Tom Javor »

took a quick look at your website - beautiful repair job on the keel
TJ
Vcoast

Dover, NH

25D for Sale in Harpswell

Post by Vcoast »

I drove up to look at this boat, but backed off last minute and never actually got on it. I noticed the stbd. side stern jack stand had oil canned the hull. Same was happening on other side. Not sure if this is a condition that would correct itself, but I knew I wasn't going to be the one to find out. As always, consult an expert.