Typhoon Updates with Photo Link

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Typhoon Updates with Photo Link

Post by Ned Crockett »

Photos are here:
http://stealthink.com/LADYBUG/

I enjoy browsing this site looking for ideas that will help improve the performance of my Ty Weekender LADYBUG. Here on Carters Creek, off the Rappahannock River, we are fortunate to have more than a dozen Tys. We enjoy racing them in a Fall and Spring Series and in a two-day Hospice Turkey Shoot Regatta where we have enough entered to have our own fleet. Over 130 sailing vessels with designs over 25 years entered last year. I have made some modifications and additions to LADYBUG that may interest other Ty sailors and have included descriptions and photos. I have attempted to show the following in the photos:

1. Boom Vang: I didn't want to drill holes in the mast or cabin top so I used a sliding cleat (attached to a slug) that fits the main sail slot in the mast. Additional security is provided by a ss hose clamp. Attached to the cleat is a shackle anchoring the boom vang. It has withstood considerable tension.

2. Instrument Panel: When racing on Carters Creek there are times it is beneficial to sail as close to shore as possible. Therefore, I decided to install a depth finder. The transducer (in-hull, not thru hull) is mounted on the starboard side forward of the keel. A previous owner had cut an 8" hole that allowed access. It is connected to a switch located at the lower entrance to the cabin. The second switch is for the running lights. Also located on the panel is a count down timer and GPS.

3. Radio: This summer I installed a CD/FM/AM remote controlled (wireless) radio (Pyle). I purchased it on the internet for $119. It came with two 6" water proof speakers. The speakers are mounted in the cabin at the end of the shelves close to the inspection openings. The sound quality is excellent. I mounted a rubber auto antenna (Wal-Mart), that screws off, on the port side of the cabin opening.

4. Main and Jib Travelers: I purchased the boat in Bay City, Mi last June and it came with the travelers as shown. I believe the main traveler allows me to point higher than boats with the original set-up. The extended jib tracks allow better setting of the jib. The boat came with a new stainless steel rudder (1/4" thick) that required a barrier coat before applying bottom paint.

5. Genoa extension: I fount it impossible to see under and around the genoa when single-handed, close-hauled, racing. I noticed the sail would go up another 6" to 8" on the fore stay, so I fabricated (at West Marine) a cable extension. It is amazing how much this helps without affecting performance.

6. Ventilation: There was mildew in the cabin when I purchased the boat. I added a vent/screen to the top entrance board and installed a screen in the aft cockpit vent which I leave open. Thank goodness the scuppers work fine.

7. Topping Lift: I added a topping lift cable attached to the top of the mast with a pulley at the other end of the cable. A line attached to the boom end and running through the pulley allows me to adjust the height of the boom and prevents the boom from falling into the cockpit when dowsing the main sail. I use the topping lift attached to the back stay when "at rest". I have been experimenting with raising the boom in light air as suggested by someone on this site. School is still out on that.

8. Jiffy Reefing: There are two reefing point sets in the main (original 1972). I have added pulleys on the boom. It works great if reefing before needing it. I have not used it in a blow.

9. Tiller Control: Since I single-hand sail often, I attached a stretch cord to the tiller and anchored it at each end to the spinnaker cleats. It is not a perfect solution but helps keep the tiller midship when I have to leave it.

Hope this will be helpful to someone. I would appreciate any feedback, suggestions, ideas, etc. you would like to share.[/b]
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Ned:

As a fellow Ty Weekender (1977, Hull #1400), your Ty is absolutely beautiful :!: I am envious of the improvements and modifications you have made to her, including the traveler for the main.

If possible, could you provide some additional information about the main traveler - make, model, installation, etc. :?: From your post, I understand it was installed by the prior owner but perhaps s/he gave you some information about the make and model, and possibly the installation process, etc.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Nice Boat!

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

I enjoyed your photos. Great job! It's especially nice that you have a whole fleet of Typhoons to race.
Mike
altontom

Typhoon pictures

Post by altontom »

Your boat looks great! It sure is nice to have a "fleet" to race. I'm interested in your hull mounted depth gauge. What is the brand and how well does it work? I'm reluctant to make holes in hull where they don't belong. Thanks, Tom
ronkberg

Re: Typhoon pictures

Post by ronkberg »

Tom, I installed a shoot-through hull digital depth gauge, Uniden QT206 and AIRMAR P79, and it works very good. Example, last weekend I decided to test it's accuracy in a rising tide. Set the alarm to 4ft and headed toward a known sand bar. The alarm sounded and as I slowly moved forward, the boat started to slow......YIKES, bottom....and I slowed to a stop. The alarm noise was blaring and I noted 2.3-2.8'. My mainsail and 150% genoa were out and I sheeted in, leaned heavy on the leeward rail, heeled and sailed off the bar!

Works very good and no new holes in my hull. Mounted the transducer inside the port side storage bin inside the cabin and she is shooting through baby oil....side benefit is the sweet smell of my grandchildren ! :D

Fair winds, Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Dave Brandt
Rochester, MN

Typhoon

Post by Dave Brandt »

Very nice looking boat!!

Dave
Ned Crockett

depth sounder for Typhoon

Post by Ned Crockett »

The Uniden QT-206 is the same depth sounder I installed. West Marine had it for $149 and Hamilton Marine had a special sale on it for $89. The in-hull transducer called for Mineral Oil but baby oil definitely smells better. I too am very pleased with the performance and tested the accuracy by marking a bamboo pole in one foot increments and barely touching bottom with it near where the transducer is located (on a calm day -- no waves or ripples). The depth sounder read 6.2' and the wet ring on the pole was very close to 6.2' from the wet end.

Two "funny" things happened re. the depth sounder. I did not know where to purchase Mineral Oil and went to our local hardware store. They chuckled and suggested I try a drug store. I didn't know it was used for constipation. Secondly, the day I completed the installation my brother went sailing with me. We were sailing in a finger of Carters Creek that I had not sailed in. It was somewhat narrow and we ran hard aground. Needless to say, we were talking and not paying attention to the depth sounder. I had not set the warning buzzer which needs to be set the each time the power to the unit is switched on.

Back to the installation, it is important that the top of the transducer be as level as possible before securing it to the hull (inside) with marine adhesive. This is made difficult because of the slope of the hull. Make some dry runs before securing it. Make sure the O-ring is properly installed to insure that the oil does not leak out.

Hope this helps.

Ned
Ned Crockett

Main Sheet Traveler

Post by Ned Crockett »

Sea Hunt: Sorry, but I do not know much about the particulars re. the history of the traveler track. I believe you can purchase certain lengths from a marine supply outfit, like West Marine, and trim it to fit the boat. They should have the car also. I really am impressed with its function. When close-hauled, I can bring the boom a bit windward of center which allows me to point higher. Sailing downwind, I let it out to leeward and, together with the boom vang, can better control the shape of the main. Ned
ckelly

Great pics.

Post by ckelly »

Thanks for the great pictures.

>I fastened my vang to the mast track below the blocks with a strap eye and 2 ss bolts about 1/2 in. long w/ washers, lock washers and nuts inside the track. It makes the vang slightly longer and gives it a little better leverage. Neither matters much but the vang is a necessity.

>The traveler is interesting.

>I used a pc. of line to extend my genoa up about 6-8 in. after a close call. It worked fine. This year I added a CDI furler (great for sailing alone) which raises the sail 6-8 in. and solves the problem.

>I will have to experiment with the boom raising theory for more speed.

> Your tiller control is a good idea. I"m going to try it.

Thanks, Chris
Jim Buck

RE: Bay City Ty

Post by Jim Buck »

Ned, you have done a fantastic job with that Ty! Hull #315 was looking a little tired when I saw her last year. She sorely tempted me but I was holding out for what I now have. As I recall the PO never used a motor as he had an end slip and would cast off and sail to the Bay. He told me health was the only reason he was parting with her. Super job on bringing her back to life!
Ned Crockett

Typhoon Updates

Post by Ned Crockett »

Thanks for the compliments and responses to my text and photos.

Chris: After reading your description of what you did to anchor your boom vang, I went to my West Marine catalog to look up Eye Straps. What a great idea. You are so right about the lower the anchor the better. I will follow your lead with that. Thanks

Jim: I bought LADYBUG (new name) after seeing pictures of her. I drove 12 hrs up to Mi and 17 hrs back to Va with her on a snowmobile trailer having white knuckles all the way. You are correct, she needed reviving!! On the return trip I was having second thoughts but now am glad I got her. As a 69 year old retiree who ended cruising with the sale of my old Pearson 35, I have had fun restoring her. It has been exciting racing and winning. For reasons my brother and I do not totally understand (he has a Ty, Miss Daisy) my boat points higher and is a bit faster down wind. Our Fall Series begins next month and the annual Hospice Turkey Shoot (two day, 12 miles each day) is in Oct.
We are now tweeking our boats in preparation.

I would enjoy learning what others are doing. Thanks again for your interest.

Ned
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Ned- reading about your trip to get ladybug has given me some encouragement- I'm headed up 3 hrs north to New Bedford Ma tomorrow to pick up my Ty weekender, a 1972 named Sea May. The boats been sitting for over 10 years, I've had to rebuild the trailer hubs, new tires, ect. Wish me luck!
wingreen

yeah, she's a sweet, sweet boat...

Post by wingreen »

eom
Ned Crockett

Ty updates and photos

Post by Ned Crockett »

Mark:

I hope your trip to pick up your Ty was uneventful. They are the best kind of trips when towing a boat. You were wise rebuilding the trailer wheels. As an afterthought I asked the yard manager, at the yard where I purchased my Ty, to inspect the bearings before I left Mi on my 17 hr trip to Va. They jacked it up and shook the wheels. I couldn't believe the play in the bearings. I ended up with new bearings and tires. The tread on the tires looked okay, but they were so dry rotten there were cracks in the treads. Neither would have made the trip safely. What is the condition of your Ty after being in storage for such a long time? She should be as dry and light as a 1972 Ty can be and should be fast. Keep us up to date with your new adventure. Hope you enjoy her as much as I enjoy sailing Ladybug.

Ladybug Update: This weekend I replaced the toggle switches (running lights and depth sounder) with a West Marine electrical panel containing three fused and lighted switches, a battery test meter, and plug for an spot light. I mounted it on plywood (varnished) and attached it to the port side of the companionway. Also, I used an eye strap to anchor the boom vang at the base of the mast. Thanks Chris for that suggestion. It is much better than the strap/cleat arrangement I used.

Ned
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Made it home with no problems. I've got my work cut out for me, the front deck is soft as well as a section of the cabin. Gelcoat is chalky but I think I can bring the hull back. I'll be working on her this fall/winter with a spring launch probably. I'm sure I'll have alot of questions. Mark