typhoon weekender:salt water vs. freshwater use

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

kriss

typhoon weekender:salt water vs. freshwater use

Post by kriss »

when looking for a used typhoon, would there be a difference in 'wear and tear' between a boat in salt water vs. freshwater?...also an unanswered inquiry requested if there were 'better' years. were there changes made between 1968 and 1983?thanks.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: typhoon weekender:salt water vs. freshwater use

Post by Oswego John »

kriss wrote:when looking for a used typhoon, would there be a difference in 'wear and tear' between a boat in salt water vs. freshwater?...
It is merely my opinion but if an owner maintains his boat as he should and doesn't subject it to harmful situations on purpose, doesn't overstrain or repeatedly push the boat beyond its normal, designed limitations, I don't see much difference whether it was sailed in salt or sweet water.

In the long run, (this might rise a howl from some quarters), if I had to take a choice, I might lean toward a salt water boat. But I wouldn't lean too far. In a hypothetical situation where a boat was neglected and abused, maybe abandoned, wood rot will develop much faster in fresh water, including rain water, than it rarely will in salt water.

As long as any ship's underwater metals are compatible, I don't see much difference if the boat had been in salt or sweet.

Wear and tear would depend on the individual previous owner's attitudes and maintenance practices, no matter where the boat had been sailed.

...........................................................................................................

....also an unanswered inquiry requested if there were 'better' years. were there changes made between 1968 and 1983?thanks.

I feel that most of the major changes in the Tys came about around the year 1970. Most notable of which are the change to a tabernacle mounted mast, self bailing cockpit and the use of less teak trim and more plastic in its place. Each following year from then had subtle changes.

Some owners consider these changes as improvements. Others believe that you can't improve on perfection. It's a personal attitude thing.

Best regards,
O J
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

salt water vs fresh water typhoon weekender

Post by Ned Crockett »

I own a 1972 fresh water Weekender that is now in salt water and my brother owns 1980 Weekender that has always been in salt water. There is no noticeable difference in the two boats as far as the effects of the type of water they have been sailed in. The only physical difference in the two boats is the bow hardware. His (1980) has line guides that can be closed, where mine are open. We both race against each other and others in our area and it often comes down to who anticipates the wind changes. So, based on my experience and observation, your selection should be based on obvious care given to the boat whether salt or fresh, early or late model. Keep in mind that the rudder and deck top are the areas you should focus on. Repairs to both areas are manageable, but can add to your investment if you have a yard do the repairs. Good luck with your search.