Surveyor recommendations?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jonathan Handelman
Freeport, Maine

Surveyor recommendations?

Post by Jonathan Handelman »

Hello,

I am considering purchasing a (non Cape Dory) in Gloucester, MA and was hoping there was someone who could recommend a reputable surveyor or two in the Cape Ann area.

(I guess that when I say "considering" I am probably understating the case somewhat but I don't want to make myself seem too eager.)

In any event, I need names of surveyors who could look at a Tartan 34c in Gloucester. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

So would offers to buy my Typhoon...

-Jonathan
KDreese
Hingham, MA

Peter Hunt

Post by KDreese »

I highly recommend Peter Hunt. He used to work for Cape Dory so for CD's his knowledge is really valuable but he also surveys other boats.

I bought a CD25 he surveyed and even on that small boat he spent a good 6 to 8 hours with me, gave me pictures he took of problem areas, explained how things worked, and even drew diagrams (he used to draw them for Cruising World) about how things could be fixed or what the issue was. Here is his web site.

http://www.huntmarinesurvey.com/
"Life begins at 2 knots."
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Norm LeBlanc in Danvers

Post by Neil Gordon »

I used Norm LeBlanc and was pleased with his work and his report. There were no post-purchase surprises.

http://www.marinesurveyor.com/leblanc/index2.html
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Al Levesque

Yes, Norm is a good choice

Post by Al Levesque »

He surveyed our CD33 and we were very pleased with his results. He operates out of the North Shore and is conveniently close to Gloucester.
Carl Thunberg

Not a unanimous opinion.

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I sent you a PM.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Another vote for Norm

Post by Joe Myerson »

Like Neil, I recommend Norm LeBlanc. He surveyed two boats for me, one I rejected (on Norm's advice), the other I bought.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Brian H

Surveyor

Post by Brian H »

I second Peter Hunt. He spent six hours on my CD22D and had complete knowledge of the boat. The seller adhered to his recommendations which more than paid for the survey.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Surveyor

Post by Neil Gordon »

Brian H wrote:I second Peter Hunt. He spent six hours on my CD22D and had complete knowledge of the boat. The seller adhered to his recommendations which more than paid for the survey.
I'm not meaning to get into a Norm vs. Peter debate. I just want to say that I, too, was amazed at how much time and how many nooks and crannies a surveyor could spend and find with a rather modest craft. Norm found places I've yet to rediscover.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698