Cape Dory 27 Accomodations

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

DanC

Cape Dory 27 Accomodations

Post by DanC »

I am beginning the search for my first boat. I plan to buy in the winter/early spring so I am trying to do my research now. I am wondering how large is the v-berth in the 27 and 28. I believe that some of the 28's and 30's have the settee that converts to a double berth, but not the 27. I was wondering if it is possible for soemone who is 5'11 and wants to sleep next to his wife, 5'08, in somewhat comfort, can do this on a CD27? Reading the board it appears that the 27 is a great sailing boat, I just want to know if the accomodations are going to work.
Thanks
Dan
Ron Churgin

You aroused my curiosity

Post by Ron Churgin »

Hi Dan,

I have owned a 27 for two seasons now, love the boat, but have used it exclusively for day sailing. Since my wife and I match your dimensions pretty closely, we decided to try out the v-berth.

Bear in mind we have not slept overnight in it, but from our brief experiment we seem to fit nicely. I cannot stretch out totally, but we were pretty comfortable. I never realized this before, but I suppose the feet go in the v and our heads face aft. There is plenty of width in the berth and the length is comfortable. I am 6'.

So, my conclusion, based on a five minute trial, was that there is plenty of room, but more motion in the bow than there would be on the settees.
Ron Churgin
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

If you bridge the open space in the v-berth of either the 27 or the 28, the resulting space is huge. It's an easy matter to fashion an insert from plywood. I had planned a cushion but find that a couple of extra pillows are all we need.

Sleeping up front when at anchor or on a mooring is not a problem. There's considerable motion up there if you're in a seaway though... the main cabin will be more comfortable... and if seas are really running, the main cabin floor might be best. Don't worry about it if you're doing typical coastal cruising.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
dennfri

cd27 v-berth

Post by dennfri »

I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'8". We have enough room to stretch out in the v-berth if we both lay at an angle towards the hull( feet in the v and shoulders and head angling away from each other on the same angle as the hull). If you want to cuddle up, it gets pretty tight and the spot directly over the insert is uncomfortable. I suspect you can make the insert area more comfortable with some after market tinkering.

Dennis
DanC

Thanks

Post by DanC »

Thanks for all the information. I live about 40 minutes from the Chesapeake so there are boats around, I just wanted to know that I am on the right track with the 27. I've taken a 5 Day ASA 101 Basic Keelboat class and went out with friends a few times, but I am looking at the Cape Dory 27 to really teach me how to sail.

Thanks again
Dan
Judith

Re: cd27 v-berth

Post by Judith »

dennfri wrote:I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'8". We have enough room to stretch out in the v-berth if we both lay at an angle towards the hull( feet in the v and shoulders and head angling away from each other on the same angle as the hull). If you want to cuddle up, it gets pretty tight and the spot directly over the insert is uncomfortable. I suspect you can make the insert area more comfortable with some after market tinkering.

Dennis
We're in the CD 270, but yes, that spot over the insert was uncomfortable. That is, until we took the CD board advice and threw on an extra 2" layer of memory foam. That extra padding helped a LOT! I found a king-size section (then cut to V-berth dimensions) for about $100, if I remember aright. I found ours at overstock.com, but you might be able to do even better with a Google search. . .

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
wstringer

Cape dory 27 accomodations

Post by wstringer »

Dan,

We took a couple of ThermaRest inflatable camping pads and laid them crosswise under the V-berth cushions, across the center insert. I think it is a standard 6 foot 1.5 inch thick backpacking pad under the middle and a 6 ft 2 inch, 2 inch thick Camp Rest pad ujnder the head of the berth. They took care of the discomfort across the insert nicely, added some extra padding, and also helped with the feeling of having our feet hifher than our heads. Only downside in that it makes the berth harder to make up.

Warren
Warren Stringer
DanC

Thanks again

Post by DanC »

From all the helpful information provided, I am pretty sure that once I get the Cape Dory, I'll have the answer to the V-berth worked out. Now there's only about a thousand other questions I need to work through before making the purchase.

Thanks
Dan
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Thanks again

Post by Neil Gordon »

DanC wrote: Now there's only about a thousand other questions I need to work through before making the purchase.
Only certan critical questions need to be asked and answered before you buy the boat. Save the rest for later and don't miss out on the chance to buy the boat you want while it's still for sale.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
RonE58

sleeping Accomodations on a 27....

Post by RonE58 »

Hello Dan,
My wife and I sleep on our CD 27 on occasion, I am 5' 10' but the wife is barely 5 foot. We usually sleep in the v berth, which has a removable insert. Once you are laying out with the two side and insert cusions its a very large comfortable space. I have screens made for each port, the companion way and the cabin top hatch so the breeze usually flows though nicely and your protected from any critters from coming in.
Ron
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

DanC, do you want pictures of teh space?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Dont know if you have actually been in a 27. Any other questions or specific pictures wanted of a 27? Do you have a particular boat in mind?
DanC

Tons of pictures/ no "in person" visits yet

Post by DanC »

I have looked over photos on places such as Yachtworld and Boattrader frequently, in fact it probably borders on needing a support group, but I have not been on a Cape Dory yet. I haven't reached out to any boats for sale yet because I want to know exactly which model I am looking for, 27-31, the general cost differences in going up in size vs. what I can afford, and then I want to have finances, dockage, etc lined up so I wont be jerking around a seller. There are several Cape Dories around the Chesapeake Bay in various sizes that are appealing, but I am still working on the learning curve.
Boyd

The insert issue

Post by Boyd »

When I had the V berth cushions remade last year, I had the insert and cushions made with a Z joint so the insert interlocks with the main cushions. This moves the fabric joint away from the joint in the cabinet work and keeps the insert from shifting during the night. Before one of us used to wake up with an arm trapped in the joint.

Boyd
s/v Tern
CD30 MkII
Fort Lauderdale, Fla.
seadog6532
Location: last boat 31' C&C Corvette, 0wner of CD30k #112 Arianna.

Post by seadog6532 »

On Arianna we sleep on the port side pull out and use the v berth for storage. We make a lot of overnight trips and are planning on on some extended sailing in the next year or so. We love our CD30 ketch and think it is the perfect boat for two. If you look hard and keep your eyes and ears open you can sometimes find a great deal on a CD30. We got a great deal on a boat in need of little work and cleaning up and now Arianna is part of the family we just could not live without. Good luck on your search.
Mark and Anna of Arianna. CD30K #112
Mark and Anna of Arianna CD30K #112
mattlydon

27/28 pullout

Post by mattlydon »

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a 28 with the port-side pullout. It looks like it only adds about 10" to the retracted 30" cushion...not exactly a double, to my standards. Anyone have any pictures/dimensions the could share. My boat is a '75, hull #39, so perhaps they hadn't gotten the kinks out yet.

Also, my v-berth isn't a v-berth. It's set up as a wide single running from port/aft to starboard/forward with a 1/2 length space left un-cushioned immediately forward of the hanging locker. It all LOOKS like original work (the trim matches everything else), but a bit odd. Was this an option? Anyone else have the same thing?

Thanks,

Matt