Typhoon ... wiring navigation lights

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Voodoo Child

Typhoon ... wiring navigation lights

Post by Voodoo Child »

Greetings all. Am a new owner of a 1978 Typhoon. The nav lights are installed on deck but not wired. I would like suggestions on how to best do this job - type of wire, length, battery and switch. I will not have shore power so also need suggestion on how to "recharge" the battery. If anyone has photos to share that will be great.
Paul McCary

Ty running lights

Post by Paul McCary »

Our Ty had a nice setup for running lights. We used a small marine 12 volt battery which I charged in the spring using a simple charger and never had to recharge during the sailing season. We bought a simple panel switch @ W'Marine that included a cigarette lighter (and then could charge the iPod too).

Regarding wire gauge, buy the smallest gauge they have in the marine supply store. You've got about the smallest load on the shortest run imaginable.
Paul McCary
Impromptu
Pine Island Marina
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Wire Size

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Paul is correct, you certainly don't need heavy wire for this job, but I wouldn't go with anything smaller than #18AWG.
Don Casey's book, This Old Boat, does a nice job of de-mystifying boat wiring. I recommend it highly.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske[/u]
Voodoo Child

Running Lights - Typhoon - Wiring

Post by Voodoo Child »

Thank you. Where did you mount the 3 way panel? By chance, any photos? Thank you.
Dick Villamil

Ty wiring

Post by Dick Villamil »

I mounted the West Marine panel in the cabin - port side just forward of the board that holds the porta potty in place. Unfortunately it does get in the way of big feet - therefore do not mount it too close to the cabin sole. I placed the battery under he cockpit between the through hull valves.
Voodoo Child

Typhoon Wiring of Naviigation Lights

Post by Voodoo Child »

Thanks. Has the West Marine panel switch been reliable? What type of battery did you use?