im looking for a CD Ty. what should i watch out for?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gregor asch

im looking for a CD Ty. what should i watch out for?

Post by gregor asch »

hi im gregor asch aka "dj olive" from brooklyn new york and i've fallen in love with sailing. the typhoon looks beautiful and safe. i think 18.6 i can handle. then if all goes well maybe later get a bigger boat. what should i watch out for when getting a used Ty? maybe the mast was bent?? can the hull and keel be patched? can you really sleep two? why is the motor mount so important? does she sail like a dream?
cheers from hot sweaty brooklyn_ gregor

audiojanitor@gmail.com
gregor asch

do you think this is a good boat?

Post by gregor asch »

does any one have any thoughts on Ron's Ty for sail in Scarborough, Maine??:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?t=23037

how much does a trailer factor in to the price of a boat?
thanks_ gregor
Lew Gresham

It's the one to get!

Post by Lew Gresham »

You would have to know Ron. :) He's a person that's takes care of his Typhoon. It's been very well taken care of. It's always clean and shipshape before he goes sailing.
Weekender
hull #914
ronkberg

Tee hee hee....I'm listening......

Post by ronkberg »

Can I respond, or would you perceive my viewpoint biased? :oops:

Thanks for the response, Lew.

Gregor, the best bet for you is to come and inspect my boat. She is a tidy '73 boat that is solid, dry and ready for a coat of bottom paint and launch. You might even enjoy sailing her down the coast to Brooklyn, NY :wink:

Ron
Ron Kallenberg
Old Orchard Beach, Maine
Sailing in Saco Bay, Maine
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: im looking for a CD Ty. what should i watch out for?

Post by Oswego John »

gregor asch wrote: what should i watch out for when getting a used Ty? maybe the mast was bent?? can the hull and keel be patched? can you really sleep two? why is the motor mount so important? does she sail like a dream?
cheers from hot sweaty brooklyn_ gregor
Hi Gregor,

A used Ty? Gregor, they are all used Tys. That is part of the beauty of finding and buying a Ty that is in great shape. They have stopped making these little gems years ago.

Bent mast? Nah, Ron wouldn't sell you a boat with a bent mast. CD owners aren't like that.

Can the hull and keel be patched. Sure, if and when it is needed. This particular boat is good to go. No need to patch anything.

Does it really sleep two? Wellllll, hmmmmm. Let's say that it naps two quite well. I wouldn't recommend taking it on a weeks cruise. (Anything is possible) After all, it's called is a Weekender.

Why is the motor mount so important? It isn't just any old motor mount. The Tys came with a special type of mount peculiar only to them. It is a significant totem with a distinct design belonging only to the smaller CD yachts.

Does she sail like a dream? She sails better than that. Mere words cannot describe it. You'll have to see for yourself. You won't be sorry.

In my personal estimation, for whatever that's worth ($.02 ?), the pictures of the Ty look like she is in very good shape. The asking price is right in the ballpark. Keep in mind that it doesn't come with a trailer or motor.

On the negative side, I personally would be hesitant to bring the boat home on the trailer shown. I would consider using the services of a boat hauler. If I was determined to tow it myself, I would try to rent a trailer that is more roadworthy, has proper lighting, plates and insurance.

At the going price of fuel, it might prove more cost effective to rent a trailer locally, tow it up to Maine and return the laden trailer to the Brooklyn area. This will require only one round trip.

Before purchasing any boat, it might be wise to investigate where you will keep the boat during the sailing season and off. Find out costs beforehand.

Fan the embers of your burning desire to sail. Keep the fire hot and glowing.
O J
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

Hi Gregor -
Since the Typhoon is a relatively simple boat, you shouldn't need a professional survey before buying one. Don Casey's book "Inspecting the Aging Sailboat" shows you what to look for. Condition of sails is also a consideration. OJ's questions about where you would keep and store the boat are important, and also how you will use it. The Typhoon is ok for teenagers who don't mind camping and cooking in the cockpit, but it's not a cruising boat. The Ty weekender accommodates a below-deck head (port-a-potty), but if the potty were not an issue and I wanted a full-keel daysailer, then I'd look for a Bull's Eye/Herreshoff 12-1/2. I've sailed the Ty and the Bull's Eye and, in my opinion, the Herreshoff design is superior, but it is a smaller boat. - Steve
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Lew Gresham

They ain't cheap!

Post by Lew Gresham »

I think this young man would like not to spend a fortune on his first boat. Good luck in finding a cheap Herreshoff.
Go for the Typhoon young man! :wink:

http://www.msogphotosite.com/Shackled.html
Weekender
hull #914
wingreen

what to look for?

Post by wingreen »

I'm with the ones who say look for a Ty that's been owned by Ron, OJ, Lew, or any other Ty owner who is known to have taken care of their vessel. I don't think you'll go wrong w/ Ron's Ty, and I've never seen her except in pics.

There are other 19' - 20' make & models worth considering. I think the old Herreshoff 12-1/2 is being made new by Edey and Duff. The Tys are being made new in a gaff-rig by Marine Restoration.

I'd also like to try a Stone Horse. It's a little bit bigger than a Ty (23'), but d@mn she looks so sweet...
Steve Darwin

Ty alternatives

Post by Steve Darwin »

True, the Herreshoffs are expensive, new or used, but used Bull's Eyes are quite affordable. Before settling on a Cape Dory, I seriously looked at the Stonehorse: not only are they really good looking, but I like the old-fashioned cutter rig (no winches!) and big cockpit, but I didn't like the cramped cabin - and who wants to sleep with their head in the porta-potty? The CD 25D had it all: shoal draft, standing headroom (!), private head, and, of course, Cape Dory construction. Fine boats.
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Agree on the Stone horse

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

It was the first small boat I really fell in love with. Many have an inboard diesel so you don't have an outboard hanging off the stern ruining the look. Never saw a cheap one though.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
wingreen

true, they're not cheap...

Post by wingreen »

...but neither is a well-cared-for Ty. When I was looking to buy one a few years back, I think the average price (all boats, all conditions)was about $4,500, but to find one in good shape would cost between $6K - $9K - for a 19' sailboat! Ron's Ty is a steal at $3,495 w/ a trailer. That's a fixer-upper price for something that's already been fixed up.

Re: the Stone Horse and Herreshoffs... I think most people who gravitate towards those kind of vessels, myself included, go more for the looks than the cruising comfort. Perhaps one day I'll care more for a comfortable cruising boat, but right now I'm mostly a daysailer, and I like sweet, stylish sailboats. I suppose it's a bit like being seen in public w/ a supermodel on your arm. So, my short list of daysailers includes the Herreshoff Alerion and the Dark Harbor 20 - neither of which would be a comfortable cruiser, but DAAAYYYUUMMMmmm!!!

I think my ultimate cruiser would be one of: CD 28 or 30, a Frisco Flyer, or an Offshore 28 or 31 (which are both a lot like the H28s). I have a way to go before I can afford to drop off the face of the earth for months or years at a time, so I'll have to be happy w/ daysailers for now.
gregor asch

thanks

Post by gregor asch »

thanks for all the help.
seems i'm over my head and a hard does of reality has slowed my dream of owning a Ty.
after a bazillion hours on line in the last five days i think Rons boat is a sweet deal. indeed priced to sell. in my dream i would ride the train to Maine and sail Ron's boat(no motor) around the cape(cod not horn) to block island where i can keep it(maybe??).
anyways my feet are back on the ground now and i dont spend hour after hour scrolling through Ron's photos. i had started dreaming on ebay a few weeks ago...yes that sad trashed Ty for 10$(went for 350ish$). i didn't bid but the seed was planted. i'm hooked but i dont have the loot. not that that will stop me...just some time. maybe i can put together a new york syndicate..haaa haa ahaa

after checking out the Stone Horse and having sailed the Bullseye last week im still set on a Ty weekender. it has something to do with the proportions. to me the Stone Horse is stubby in the stern in relation to its cool forward section. the bullseye is fantastic and was a dream to sail but the wee cabin on the Ty is what helps makes it "America's smallest yacht". for bigger boat owners its cabin is a laugh but again i like the way the cabin on the Ty is small and clean making the boat almost a miniature rather than that kinda bulbous look when too much cabin is put on too short a boat.

i feel the Ty will be perfect to keep on Block Island. maybe sail to Brooklyn. it seems a good first step into the wide wild world of sailing.
and later who knows maybe a bigger boat. next step is to find one near new york and take my girl friend Vija to see it and get inside it to really feel it out...oh and save save save!
Ron hope i can get there first but all the best all the same.
thanks everyone for the good vibes_ gregor