CD 26--runnining lines to the cockpit vs roller furling

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

dgsail
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 26, Hull 50, Bridget, Montrose Harbor, ChicagoOriginal Owner

CD 26--runnining lines to the cockpit vs roller furling

Post by dgsail »

I would like to find a safer option for hoisting/lowering my sails. I have a CD 26 and raise the jib/main from the mast.

One option is roller furling, however, I have not met a sailor yet that has not had a system that did not jam at some most inopportune time. If anyone has one that is dependable, please advise.

Another option is to run the rigging to the cockpit and also install a downhaul for the jib. Has anyone done this?

Info, advice, suggestions welcome.

Thanks,
dgsail
Debbie Garrity
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

I have a CD25 with a hank-on jib. I ran some 3/16 line from the jib halliard through a block attached to the forestay fitting (there are a bunch of holes conveniently placed there). The line goes back to the main halliard and cleat.

It's not perfect, since I still need to go to the mast to release the jib halliard, but I no longer need to go forward of the mast and I don't need to unclip my harness. Some people using this setup have found that it does not reliably lower the jib -- I have never had a problem in winds to 20 kts, but that's only been 3-4 times. Also, about 1/3 of the time the jib does land in the water since you need to be very dextrous to manage all the lines (halliard, downhaul, and jibsheet) and the tiller simultaneously.

Jeff
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I have a CDI furler that's been flawless for about 10 years, with zero maintenance.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

I think do a furler first, then run lines aft

Post by drysuit2 »

I have a 20 year old Harken Roller on the Genny. It can be temperamental ['cause it's old]. But it works. I am always adding or reducing sail area with the furler. I still use slab reefing on the main; requiring me to go forward, but only to the mast. Carter had some good posts awhile ago. He ran all his lines back to the cockpit on his CD25. http://pws.prserv.net/cbrey/Winter_2004.html
I just hate the idea of drilling any more holes in a balsa deck.
Carter Brey
City Island, New York

Downhaul

Post by Carter Brey »

I rigged the hank-on foresails on my CD25 with a downhaul, and found it worked very well.

To moderate the problem of the sail blowing overboard once it's lowered, rig a so-called Gerr downhaul. Instead of running the downhaul line straight from the head of the sail down to the turning block at the stemhead, seize or shackle a ring to a hank a little less than halfway up the sail. Run the downhaul line from the head of the sail to this ring, then aft to and through the clew grommet, then forward to the turning block at the stemhead. Finally from there run the line back to the cockpit via stanchion fairleads.

This rig automatically gathers the clew of the sail forward to the forestay if the sheet is released as the downhaul is pulled in.

Bon chance,

Carter Brey
Sabre 28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
City Island, NY
Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Post by Peter Kozup »

I did exactly what you suggest on my CD26 this past winter. I had it done by someone who knows his rigging, a professional rigger. I used one of the winches off the mast, and have an organizer on the deck just to the starboard of the mast. The lines run back to a set of clutches and then to the winch. It works fine, though sometimes the halyards snag on things I have on the mast (e.g., a set of steps that go up the mast, or, the spreaders) and I have to go up front anyhow to unsnag them. I have not installed the downhaul yet, but will do that the next time I go to the boat (like tomorrow!!). It was much cheaper than buying a higher priced furler, though had I bought a CDI furler the cost would have been about the same. Also, I did not do the work myself as I don't trust the quality of my work and therefore paid a professional rigger to do the job. I could have cut costs considerably had I done it myself.
I think the winch is too small and may have it changed for a larger one when I can afford to purchase a larger one. I also bought a set of "winchers", the rubber things that make your regular winches into something resembling a self-tailing winch. It works fine and I'm pretty happy with it.
I should add that I do a lot of singlehanded sailing and this arrangement makes my life a lot easier, though a furler would too. Remember, though, that with a furler you will still have to go forward to raise the main. Eventually I think I will buy a CDI furler and have the best of both worlds, being able to control both the headsail and the jib from the cockpit of the boat.
If you want a photo or have other questions please send me a private message and I'll get back to you.
Let us know what you decide to do.
Pete, S/V Katy Too
CD26, Hull #42
Peter Kozup
Hull #42 Sandusky Ohio

Post by Peter Kozup »

I did exactly what you suggest on my CD26 this past winter. I had it done by someone who knows his rigging, a professional rigger. I used one of the winches off the mast, and have an organizer on the deck just to the starboard of the mast. The lines run back to a set of clutches and then to the winch. It works fine, though sometimes the halyards snag on things I have on the mast (e.g., a set of steps that go up the mast, or, the spreaders) and I have to go up front anyhow to unsnag them. I have not installed the downhaul yet, but will do that the next time I go to the boat (like tomorrow!!). It was much cheaper than buying a higher priced furler, though had I bought a CDI furler the cost would have been about the same. Also, I did not do the work myself as I don't trust the quality of my work and therefore paid a professional rigger to do the job. I could have cut costs considerably had I done it myself.
I think the winch is too small and may have it changed for a larger one when I can afford to purchase a larger one. I also bought a set of "winchers", the rubber things that make your regular winches into something resembling a self-tailing winch. It works fine and I'm pretty happy with it.
I should add that I do a lot of singlehanded sailing and this arrangement makes my life a lot easier, though a furler would too. Remember, though, that with a furler you will still have to go forward to raise the main. Eventually I think I will buy a CDI furler and have the best of both worlds, being able to control both the headsail and the jib from the cockpit of the boat.
If you want a photo or have other questions please send me a private message and I'll get back to you.
Let us know what you decide to do.
Pete, S/V Katy Too
CD26, Hull #42