Stanchion Base Set Screws

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jpbartle

Post by jpbartle »

Thanks for the additional suggestions. Ron, I've got an old chisel that with a bit of time on the grinder might work for that.

These vintage tools are intriguing -- 'Did a search on ebay last night and am amazed by the variety/volume of tools there. I would never have thought to look. Thank you both for the suggestions.
Jonathan
Rome, GA
Ron M.

Feels right

Post by Ron M. »

Having been a general contractor/ cabinet maker for 30 years, It's good to see others using these timeless tools. A bit brace and a yankee with the right bits have been mainstays in my shop since I was a kid. Sheetrock hanging and rough carpentry are areas I use cordless drills /drivers.Fine cabinets , furniture, finish work..........I prefer the feel and control these tools provide.
________
SL90
Last edited by Ron M. on Feb 11th, '11, 05:53, edited 1 time in total.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Hand Tools

Post by Oswego John »

Here is another hand tool from another age. I don't know what the technical name is for this type of hand drill. We usually call it a "Jimmy" drill.

It is the handiest little drill. The top of the wooden handle screws off for storing different size bits.

Don't let the prices scare you off. These are top of the line tools that are shown. You can buy them used for a song.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/pr ... ts_id/2012

Enjoy, (variable speed, too) :D
O J
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Set screws are not all the same on Yankee. Most 10-24, but different lengths, some with stripped threads and hanging on out of force of habit, a couple missing altogether. Solution I'm contemplating is to oversize drill bases and re-drill / re-tap stanchions for a slightly larger 12-24 screw, so stanchions are held firm and vibration free. Anybody tried this? I look forward to cutting out the lashings I've got in place right now!
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Set screws are not all the same on Yankee. Most 10-24, but different lengths, some with stripped threads and hanging on out of force of habit, a couple missing altogether. Solution I'm contemplating is to oversize drill bases and re-drill / re-tap stanchions for a slightly larger 12-24 screw, so stanchions are held firm and vibration free. Anybody tried this? I look forward to cutting out the lashings I've got in place right now!
Ron M.

Set screws

Post by Ron M. »

stainless is tough stuff........use a cobalt drill bit. I enlarged all in my bases when I had them off to paint the deck. I also added a second set screw opposite the original. The posts are held good and tight. I was able to order 10 - 24 set screws from a local hardware store to replace the 8 - 24 that were original.
________
Acura Rdx History