Boom Vang Ideas for Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Lepley

Boom Vang Ideas for Typhoon

Post by Steve Lepley »

Has anyone used a nice, simple, easy, boom vang arrangement on their Typhoon Weekender??

We already have the fittings on the boom but was curious about where the deck bolt should be...Any ideas or observations?

I would surmise that one choice would be to but a u-bolt type fitting with backing plate just aft of the base of the mast on the deck. ...or should I put it furthur aft on the coach roof directly below the fitting on the boom.??

Any ideas or pictures would be helpful...

Searunner
Steve Lepley
1972 Typhoon Weekender, "Searunner"
Hull # 255
Ned Crockett
Location: 1972 CD Typhoon Weekender #315, LADYBUG, Irvington, Va.

Ty Boom Vang

Post by Ned Crockett »

I was faced with the same situation last year when I purchased LADYBUG. I solved it with a small mast slot cleat at the base of the mast further secured by a ss hose clamp across the cleat and around the mast. The boom vang is attached to the cleat using a shackle. Works fine for me and beats drilling holes in the mast. It has had significant stress on it with no problems. Sorry, no pictures.
Jim Buck

Ty vang

Post by Jim Buck »

Steve,

My first Ty had the vang attached to the base of the mast. Avoid deck or cabin penetrations when possible (potential water intrusion points). Mast attachment also ensures that the force applied negates any rearward force at the tabernacle. It's been a number of years since I had that Ty and I don't recall the specific attachment method or hardware. Perhaps someone else on this board can assist with more specificity.

Jim
Russell

Post by Russell »

Indeed, mast connection is the appropriate place for a vang. Loads on a ty sail are low enough that you can probably get away with other attachment points, but why not do it right?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Boom Vang specs.

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Steve:
Here's a copy of the Spartan Marine spec. sheet detailing the location dimensions and fittings need to install a boom vang on most CD's, including your Ty:
http://www.jibeho.org/vang.htm

Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
Russell

Re: Boom Vang specs.

Post by Russell »

Anthony P. Jeske wrote:Steve:
Here's a copy of the Spartan Marine spec. sheet detailing the location dimensions and fittings need to install a boom vang on most CD's, including your Ty:
http://www.jibeho.org/vang.htm

Good Luck,
Tony Jeske

Great bit of info Tony! That should be posted with the CD Manuals on this site. Cathy, can that be done?
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Chris & Dale Schnell
Location: 1969 Typhoon Weekender, MISS DALE, #27, Southport, NC

Is Boom Vang needed?

Post by Chris & Dale Schnell »

I looked at the simplicity of our 1969 TY Daysailer and how our mahogony hatch cover banged into the mast bail when it was fully opened, and recently removed ours as it just didn't seem necessary w/the mainsheet attached to the stern the way it was. The 1969 sales pamphlet I have does NOT show one. Did I make a mistake? Should I reinstall it? Please advise, particularly on it's advantages in sailing our TY daysailer. Thanks.
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
1969 Alberg Typhoon Weekender
Southport, NC
Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Is a Vang Needed?

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Chris and Dale:
I've always felt that a vang is the most cost effective performance improvement you can add to a boat. It has no effect when sailing close hauled. On a reach, it will keep the boom from rising and maintain a powerful shape in your mainsail. Sailing downwind, it can be rigged as a preventer, and so protect from an accidental jibe, a real stress reliever for me!
So while I agree it's not an imperative upgrade, it's always high on my list of improvements.
Good Luck,
Tony Jeske
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Daysailer

Post by Oswego John »

Chris and Dale,

I was reading your post this morning and noticed that you mention that you own a 1969 Daysailer.

I'm not sure if it is a typo or what, but the CDSOA archives mention that the Daysailer ( only141 of them made) were built between the years 1977 and 1986. Then again, maybe I'm in error.

The only reason that I bring this point up is because it could possibly mess you up with a future insurance claim, boat registration for an outboard engine or ordering parts and equipment.

Good luck, sail on,
O J
Chris & Dale Schnell

OJ,
I agree, it must be a typo and would venture to say that Robinhood Marine would be happy to verify the first year of production of the "Alberg Typhoon (by Cape Dory)" (vintage sales brochure title) as 1967 (same as the weekender), which would explain our having hull #27 of the TY Daysailer showing the mahagony slat seating, bulkhead, and hatch. It even had a fake mahogony stern for a short couple of years. I believe it was in 1971 when they changed all the wood to teak and added a rubrail, fiberglassed the bulkhead and hatch, raised the cockpit & added scuppers (we don't have any-just a bilge), and even added a little free-board. The spec actually shows 18' 3 1/2" and 1750 lbs, slightly shorter and lighter than the common daysailer. Not by design, but her pictures actually ended up being reviewed by Andy Vavolotis who verified it. She is a classic! Anyway, it seems I should probably add back the boom vang & place a stop in the track to protect the mahogony hatch.
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
Southport, NC
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Ty vang is a MUST

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

Totally agree w/Tony. I take my vang off at the end of the day and stow it below since I am in a relatively unsupervised marina and hate to just leave all that hardware on deck. Last weekend I took some kids out planning to use the boat just as a swimming platform so didn't rig the vang. Breeze came up so we raised sails and sailed back to the dock. The sail shape is just plain wrong without the vang, not to mention that the boat handles poorly with the boom moving up and down with the accompanying change in sail shapes.
The vang isn't optional in my opinion. (But that is only worth a greatly devalued 2¢ these days).
Serge
Joe Montana
Member 781

Photos?

Post by Joe Montana »

Chris and Dale,

I think many of us would love to see photos of your vintage Ty daysailer. Is there any chance of posting some that show the features that make it distinctive?

I always thought there were only two versions of the daysailer (completely open and with a shortened cabin with open cuddy). I've never seen one like yours, with a hatch, etc.

I'm sure Cathy would post it on the "Ty" specifications page.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Ty Daysailer

Post by Oswego John »

Chris and Dale

Like Joe M., I am eager to see what your vintage Ty looks like.

As many are already aware of the fact, Typhoons were manufactured before Cape Dory received the rights to make them.

Two of my Typhoons, Weekender style #28 and W/E style #42 were both made in 1967 (to the best of my knowledge) by the Naugus Fiberglass Industries, Salem, Massachusetts. I believe a year or two later, Cape Dory Corp. acquired the rights and started making them.

Up until this point of time, I was only aware of the three models of the Typhoon. There is the Weekender, with a bulkhead separating the cockpit from the cuddy cabin. This model has a sliding, overhead hatch.

There is a completely open Daysailer as well as a Daysailer with a small, cuddylike shelter with no hatch. As a point of reference, when you check the hull number:

the Weekender model has the letter "D" after the "CPD"

The fully open model has the letter "G".

The Daysailer with the open cuddy has the letter "K".

I'm not surely convinced of the following but I have heard that it is possible that the Weekender has a different series of hull numbers than that of the Daysailer. The hull numbers may be separate entities. I am not sure of this but I am led to believe that it may be so. Another thing that I am not sure of but would like to ascertain one way or the other, is if the Cape Dory Corp continued on with the hull number series' that was started bythe Naugus Corp. or did CD start a new series of hull numbers when they began making the improved Typhoon.

My older Ty W/Es have all teak trim, very little fiberglass. The #28 has the rudder post/tiller swivel exposed above tha stern deck. The #42 has the tiller swivel inside of an open lazarette. They both have slatted wooden, cockpit bench seats as well as teak veneer panels on either side of the outer bulkheads. Neither has a self bailing feature. Aluminum spars and no winches. Plain vanilla. As Chris and Dale mention, both hulls have toe rails but no rub strakes.

I'm really eager to see some pictures of that little gem. I bet it's a beauty.

Good luck with it,
O J
Chris & Dale Schnell

To the Curious & Enthusiasts,
We don't have a website yet to place pictures to link into here, BUT our Webmaster was gracious enough to post a vintage single page sales pamphlet we received from Robinhood Marine and along with it a picture of "Miss Dale" in her new slip here in Southport, NC. Go to the Cape Dorys, Typhoon, and open the last listed Sales Brochure at the very bottom of the page & you will see her as a page 2 (just scroll down). We have to say we're proud of her!
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
Southport, NC
Joe Montana
Member 781

Post by Joe Montana »

Thanks Chris, Dale -- and Cathy.