Typhoon Cover

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Riptide
Riptide

Typhoon Cover

Post by Riptide »

As I get started on refinishing the teak on MyTy I'm thinking that I may want to purchase a full cover for the boat. Does anyone have a line on a canvas cover or a template to sew a cover?

Thanks for the help,
Mike
aka Riptide
Joe Montana
Member 781

Keeping it Simple

Post by Joe Montana »

Mike, I've noticed the lack of response to your question. It could be that most Ty owners use a simple, inexpensive plastic tarp. That's what I do. I use a flexible 1x3 board that runs the length of the boat, tie it down fore and aft, and support it at the mast step and in the cockpit. Even an inexpensive tarp wraps the boat up nicely, and lasts for several years. It's quick, simple and efficient. I've found that the no-stretch plastic "ribbon" that boatyards use in conjunction with shrink wrapping is perfect for tie-downs. I haven't seen this "tape" for sale in boat stores, so I salvage some each spring when the big boats get uncovered, before all that plastic wrapping goes into the dumpster!
Riptide
Riptide

Thanks for the reply.

Post by Riptide »

Thanks for the reply Joe. I have a 25' blue tarp I'm using to cover the boat during re-construction but I was looking for something to protect the boat when on it's done and on its buoy. I can't believe it would be too tough to stitch together something to protect my teak from UVs. If I don't find something I'll draw up a sewing template and post a link.

Thanks again,
Mike
aka Riptide
Judith

Re: Typhoon Cover

Post by Judith »

Mike,

Sailrite's book "The Complete Canvasworker's Guide" ($20) has a chapter on boat covers: what fabrics & thread to use, measuring, construction, etc. It looks pretty thorough; however, I haven't examined it in depth. I'm still stuck in the 'Sail Covers' section. :D

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Riptide
Riptide

Great

Post by Riptide »

Judith

Just the advice I'm looking for. I'll check out Amazon for the book.

Thanks,
Mike
aka Riptide
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: Thanks for the reply.

Post by mashenden »

Riptide wrote:.. If I don't find something I'll draw up a sewing template and post a link.

Thanks again,
Mike
aka Riptide
I would definitely be interested in seeing a template when you get it done. I removed and varnished all possible wood 2 years ago and fully intended to make a cover that fall. Now I suspect I'll be revarnishing before I get around to making my cover. I envision a full cockpit cover rather than a full boat cover, but my guess is it would be easy enough to modify a template.
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Template for cockpit cover

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

I developed my cover by starting from an old sail cover that I had. I used a magic marker and arrows pointing out lengths. Then had a local shop made the basic form with overly generous lengths. I took that back and forth up to the lake and marked it up and finally arrived at my cover. It fastens to the lee boards with standard hardware. Covers the cockpit and protects all the teak therein.

It is too big to easily make a template from, but I do have a possible suggestion. The local shop is on vacation this month but my cover is going in to be re-stitched and to have stern flaps added so it will then close around the rear stay instead of being open. (I left it open to let it breathe but there is enough sun and rain from that direction in our marina that I have decided to partly close it).

When it is in the shop (mid July?), I could ask her how much she would charge to make a new one using it as a pattern. I could post that and if anyone was interested they could order one. The time window would be REALLY SMALL to decide, but it could work?

A potential PROBLEM occurs to me. We don't all keep our boom at the same height when moored! Mine is fixed below the slot and I tension the luff with a Cunningham, so my cover wouldn't work for boats that move the boom up and down. ...so be forewarned...

Serge
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Re: Template for cockpit cover

Post by mashenden »

Serge Zimberoff wrote:... my cover is going in to be re-stitched and to have stern flaps added ...

When it is in the shop (mid July?), I could ask her how much she would charge to make a new one using it as a pattern. I could post that and if anyone was interested they could order one.
Serge - is the noted shop in a position to provide a quote for a cover using yours as the pattern? I think it should work just fine for my application, even when considering your forewarning.

Your assistance on this would be greatly appreciated. Spending the weekend bailing my Ty out because the scuppers clogged and overflowed into the bilge was ... not my idea of fun :)
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Typhoon Cockpit Cover

Your timing is perfect! I just took my cover in yesterday afternoon so they could reinforce some of the stitching and add closure flaps that will close around the aft stay. I had left that end open originally thinking it would allow better air flow and our prevailing storms happen to come in on my bow the way the slip is facing. However I have decided I would like less water in so am having it added-to. This is going to be a two step operation; they are adding two slightly oversize triangular flaps, I will take the cover up to the lake...mark it to size and then have them finish it.
So if you want one with the stern end open they have the pattern in their hands. If you want it closed it will take a couple of weeks more but if you talk to them now they can order the sunbrella fabric and be ready.
Best just to contact them directly, Volker will know what you are looking for as he and I went over the cover in detail together.
MG Upholstery (...in Santa Rosa CA)
Volker & Mary Scholz
707-585-6008
Just fyi...My boom is 35-1/2" top of boom to deck at the aft end. This looks pretty much parallel to where my gooseneck is fixed in the mast just below the mainsail slot. I use a topping lift which is marked such that I can cleat it off and the cover fits just fine.
The cover attaches with turn-snaps along the outside of the leeboards. I did not get fancy at the sheet cleats or winches. It has reinforced slots that over-ride the cleats so they are accesable with the cover on, and it just curves just inside but hugs the inside of the winches so they are exposed. If you want them covered, I could make a pattern for them to use on your cover when I mark up the stern flaps.
Also...if they have any concerns about shipping, I can always do that for you easily from our office when it is finished.
Riptide
Riptide

This is Great!

Post by Riptide »

Thanks Serge!

I'm going to contact MG Upholstery today.

Mike
Riptide
Riptide

Pic of Cover?

Post by Riptide »

Serge

If you have a pic of the cover on your Typhoon it would help visualize the specs you have mentioned.

Thanks again.
Mike
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Ty cockpit cover...no pic avail...

Mike...sorry...nope. Just haven't been good about pics.
Chris & Dale Schnell
Location: 1969 Typhoon Weekender, MISS DALE, #27, Southport, NC

Post by Chris & Dale Schnell »

If I've got this right, here's some pics of the cover on our TY that works really well:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cdswabbie
It is particularly functional in protecting the opening in the coach roof the mast goes thru, as well as the cockpit. Our old TY has no scuppers, just a bilge & pump. The bungees hook onto small u-hooks along the toe-rail like the ones you'd use on a spreader for a flag halyard. Hope this helps.
Full Sails & Calm Seas,

Chris & Dale Schnell
s/v MISS DALE, #27
1969 Alberg Typhoon Weekender
Southport, NC
Captmarklp

Typhoon cover

Post by Captmarklp »

Last year was the 1st year I had to cover a Typhoon.

The boat has lifelines so I bought a "heavy duty" blue tarp to drape over. I couldn't get lines on it quick enough and I eventually just gave up. It would have been tragic to not erect a "ridge" with supports.

The owner of the boatyard said he was hostile to blue tarps anyway. So ...then I found, on-line, a seller of old billboard covers.

These were white or black on the non-advertising side and the seller asked that the advertising be not visible or toward the boat. I got white ....and laughed at the other side because it was a new homes sale ad.

The only problem I had was that the whole thing was dirty. When they taken them off, I guess they do it in all kinds of weather. I had to hose it off. I let the seller know and --surprise -- he apologized !

This stuff is heavy, truly H.D., yet I trimmed it to what I wanted and -- magic -- it stayed in-place only needed small line adjusting 2x this past windy winter.

I don't have the name of the place but its not something you'd keep on your tongue anyway. I think they were in Minneapolis.