25D in Ireland

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

odie lingle

25D in Ireland

Post by odie lingle »

I made it! A very difficult 15 day sail from the Azores to Ireland. Lots of cold, wet, stormy weather. Had one storm that blew for two days and the waves must have been thirty feet high. Why do I always think these passages will be easy? This was definitely the worst leg of my trip weather wise. The boat held up wonderful though, just a few little problems but nothing major. I am in Kinsale on the south coast of Ireland, drying out and resting. My wife has joined me and we are doing some bus tours of the countryside. Hope to go on to Scotland in a week or two, but we will see.

Guess I have officially crossed the Atlantic now on my little boat. It is something I have dreamed about for almost 25 years so it is a good feeling.

Thankyou again for your help and support.

Odie
Russell

Post by Russell »

Congrats on the crossing! Must be a great feeling to have it under your belt.

If you make it to scotland, do tell about it! I have always dreamed of dropping the hook right off the Lagavullin distillery and going and and drowning myself in the stuff :D . West coast scotland has always facinated me (the scotch is only a bonus, albet a huge one). Tough sailing though I hear.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Nice!!! Congrats.

Your comment that the boat held up well... we're not surprised but we like to hear it anyway.

As for the "few little problems," great that it was nothing major, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to know what they were.

When you get to Scotland, tuck an extra bottlw of single malt in the bilge, just in case you ever get to Boston.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

BRAVO

Something most of us dream about but few of us ever get to do!!!
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Congratulations!

Post by Joe Myerson »

What an accomplishment!

So many of us dream of crossing the Atlantic in our Cape Dories; we know they can make it--but how many of us can?

Keep us posted--and enjoy the whiskey when you get to Scotland (it's also pretty damn good in Ireland!)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
chase

courage and persistence

Post by chase »

Here's to you, Odie!

Chase
BillNH

Post by BillNH »

... I'll raise a pint of Guiness to your voyage! :wink:

Enjoy Ireland!
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

Wow, Congratulations!
jpbartle

Post by jpbartle »

As one of dozens enjoying your trip vicariously -- thank you for the post. We look forward to additional details of your journey.

Your cruising grounds are of special interest to me; having recently acquired a 22d which is in the midst of a round of improvements before launch this fall -- but which has been named Connemara ("Of the Sea") in honor of the beautiful area that is the western portion of County Galway... a bit north of your present position.

Some photos of this area dating from 2000 can be found here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/capedory22d/Connemara

Safe and scenic journeys to you...
Jonathan
Rome, GA
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I Give you Joy of your achievement! Kinsale is a wonderful little town and I hope you get a full welcome mat laid out as the Irish and Scottish respect folks who come the hard way.

Congratulations on your crossing and keep us posted on your journey, boat events foul or fair and any learnings along the way.

Paul
Judith

Congratulations, Odie

Post by Judith »

Bravo--you must have a well-deserved sense of accomplishment! Like others who've responded, I'd be interested in hearing more details of the trip :)

Russell's comment about "tough sailing in Scotland" reminds me of a wonderful book. But I'll start a new topic rather than divert this one.

Much enjoyment to you.

Judith
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

WOW

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

I am impressed. perhaps you could inform us of any modifications or special provisions you made for the trip. Self steering, sail inventory, internal modifications, etc. I have owned a 25D for 6 years and remain afraid of the ocean. How'd ya do it?????
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)