Need An Answer

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Need An Answer

Post by Oswego John »

Duh. I did it again. And I knew better.

I was doing some inlay work yesterday. After cutting the pieces, I glued them in place using regular ratty old tan masking tape to temporarily hold the pieces in place until the glue set. (Tite-bond, weatherproof).

Of course, we had a 4th of July cookout with lots of the other things that go with the food. Duh, I completely forgot about the project. Today was very warm and the sun just baked the tape onto the varnished surrounding surface. With much effort I removed most of the well done masking tape. That is to say, I removed the paper but the stickum is firmly attached to the varnished surface.

Does anyone know any tricks to remove the masking tape glue without doing any harm to the varnished finish? Maybe a magic solvent?

I knew better than to do what I did. Just wasn't thinking.

Duh, (file under senior moment category)
O J
Judith

Alcohol?

Post by Judith »

No, I mean the 'rubbing' sort :) I've always used that to remove masking tape gunk. It rather depends on the composition of your varnish, though, doesn't it?

Alcohol might work if it's the polyureathane sort. Or. . .maybe citrus-based stuff? Goo-Gone?

Good luck, OJ. Let us know how it works out!
To unpathed waters, undreamed shores.
The Winter’s Tale. Act iv. Sc. 4.
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

WD40

Post by Gary M »

OJ,
I seem to remember using WD40 to get that stuff off.

I think I've seen a product at the hardware store too. At least the name led me to believe that was its use. Goo Gone or some thing.

Gary
Russell

Post by Russell »

Goo Gone/Goof Off (same product different name) will both indeed do some damage to the finish, its a pretty harsh solvent, not sure what its base is. Wonderful stuff though. But I do have experience, removing some duct tape residue from my hatch trim last year in Trinidad after removing the aircon that was keeping me alive in that insane Trini summer heat. Goo Gone is not varnish friendly. Honestly I think most solvents able to remove the residue will damage the varnish. However, WD-40, as suggested, works well and is not a solvent, I have used it many times to remove masking tape residue. It is a slower process then using a solvent though and clean up sucks (lots of oil). Spray WD-40 on the residue and let it soak for awhile, time depending on how bad the residue is, then wipe up with an old T shirt, scrubbing hard. The key is using a non abrasive thing to scrub after soaking, varnish will dull/scratch easy, hence the T-shirt. But it may take several treatments/scrubs to get it off. In the long run, you examine if the process of removing the residue is actually more work then just using a solvent/abrasive then just slapping on a fresh coat after, all depends on the exact situation.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Mineral spirits

Post by Kurt »

mineral spirits
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Another option may be to try some baby oil,,, it won't have the effect that mineral oil does, but it just might soften up the adhesive enough to come undone.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
jddj

Post by jddj »

Try 3M Label Remover Solvent = or soemthin like that. Works where Goo Gone won;t. Try in a discrete area first.
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

Naptha
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.
Derek Matheson

Adhesive remover "un-du"

Post by Derek Matheson »

Very very successful with no residue removing pressure sensitive adhesives. See http://www.un-du.net/index.php
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

jddj wrote:Try 3M Label Remover Solvent = or soemthin like that. Works where Goo Gone won;t. Try in a discrete area first.
This sounds close to what I used last summer. The yard told me about 3M Adhesive Remover (red and white quart can). This stuff really does the job.
tartansailor

Anhydrous Isopropyl Alcohol

Post by tartansailor »

NOT methanol, but IPA

Sold as a gas tank additive in auto parts stores.
Dick
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Removing Masking Tape Stickum

Post by Oswego John »

Hi all,

I want to thank all of you for coming through with ideas for removing baked on masking tape remains. The good news is that I experimented with all sorts of things before stumbling upon the magic elixir for easy removal of the nasty stuff.

I didn't get the chance to try all of the suggested methods of removal. My truck was in the shop. My son was using my car. I live out in the boonies and wasn't about to drive a tractor into town in 93° F bright sunlight to purchase chemicals. Since I was anxious to get the project behind me, I decided to mess around with the things I knew I had on hand.

Being the brave soul that I am, I again ventured forth into the dark, forbidding interior of my shop, all the time paying out cord from a hand held skein to insure that I can find my way out of my meticulously organized operational bailiwick.

For instance, my well kept records tell me that as I write, I am the owner of thirty eight half full cans of WD 40, as well as owning twenty nine cans of half empty cans of the stuff. Yep, you guessed it. Do you think that I could find *ONE* stinking can to experiment with, as some suggested that I do?

A neighbor said to try lighter fluid. That took the glue off as well as removed the glossy shine of the surrounding varnish,

Several people mentioned various oil products. Well, yes and no. The jury is still out on this, I tried vegetable oil, 3-in-1 oil, and even Pam.

So what did come through like a champion? Yep it was an oil. I tried some Marvel Mystery Oil which made sghort work of the job. Who woulda thunk?

The only drawback, as Russell mentioned, is after the prep is completed, the whole unit has to be washed down with mineral spirits to remove the oil slick before I can revarnish.

Again, thanks for the support.
O J
Emil Maurer

Removing Masking Tape

Post by Emil Maurer »

I once called 3M to discuss this problem.

They advised a 3M product (which I don't recall) which first separated the tape from the adhesive. And then they advised using 3M adhesive remover.
The two step process worked with masking tape that had been on this boat outside baking for a year.

I am sure that a call to 3M will clarify the process.
Emil Maurer
miguel mascaros
Centerport Harbor NY

Post by miguel mascaros »

Well OJ...Marvel Mystery Oil does it all the time....
I would have recommended Vaseline since it's known to break down rubber.hmmmmm what are we getting into.....
Cheers/Mike
Cheers/Mike