Emergency tiller - CD33

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

cscheck

Emergency tiller - CD33

Post by cscheck »

Hello! Back on the site after a few years absence ... the new format scared me, I guess. Checked the emergency tiller in the aft locker last weekend ... talk about rust! The vertical tube is disintegrating .... chunks like tree bark are falling off. I didnt know steel could do that. Anyway, does anyone have a suggestion for a replacement? I checked some old posts. I get the impression that the steel pipe tillers are different size for different boats and they arent available from Robin Hood? Seems like stainless would be better considering what happened to my old one after 25 years. Anybody with experience having one fabbed by a machinist would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Chris Scheck
CD33 #117
Chris Scheck
Ragtime
CD33 #117
Newport RI
Tom Keevil

Emergency Tiller Dimensions and Storage

Post by Tom Keevil »

Our boat didn't have an emergency tiller when we bought it, so we had a local stainless shop make up one to these dimensions:

1 ½” inside diameter tubing
key 3/16” deep x 3/8” wide x 2 ½” long,
11.5” long and then joined at a 130 degree angle to a 1 ½” o.d. piece that is 32” long

We store it down below in the back of a hanging locker, rather than in the bottom of a cockpit locker. That way it stays dry and is readily available without digging to the bottom of a locker.

After you've paid for this tiller, be sure to crawl down there and inspect your steering cables and sheaves every year so you never need to use it!
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Quest didn't have one when we bought her three years ago. Got an estimate to have one made from the yard where she was kept in Marion MA for $250. They made it out of aluminum stock and did a nice job on it but wanted to charge me $450 for it. I think I wound up paying around $325.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
cscheck

Post by cscheck »

Thanks to the folks who responded to my question about the emergency tiller. I just spoke with Dave Perry up at Robinhood Marine. He said they don't make them for retail sale and they don't have any diagrams, since every boat apparently uses a slightly different design. He suggested that I just take my old one to a local shop. He added that they make them out of aluminum now, since the steel ones deteriorate so badly.
Chris Scheck
Ragtime
CD33 #117
Newport RI
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I had my nephews shop make a new emergency tiller just out of stel as we are on the great lakes. The original one did not fit at all and had a male to male connection that would never have worked!

I painted the new one with three coats of epoxy paint and I store it lashed under the forepeak berth just above the bow fresh water tank. Why there? Well, there is unused space there and I want more weight up forward and the old one had rusted in the lazarette location. Also, it doesn't bang around and it is readily available. I put directions on the berth on how to get it out in a hurry. I also wrote on the access port where the location is too just in case.

After seven seasons it is still in fine shape there.

Paul
mgphl52

After 30+ years of looking...

Post by mgphl52 »

... I still haven't found a decent spot to store my emergency wheel!... :D :D :D

-michael (aka: "foot-loose & free-wheeling" :oops: )
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Well stated Michael :) :) :) :) :)
Bill Member #250.
Duncan Maio

Post by Duncan Maio »

Try CAM Machine in Bristol - 401-254-1950.

If they can't help you, I can have my guys take a look at it, but depending on the design and the condition of the original, it sounds like it may need to be fitted to the boat, and you will want someone local (my shop is up near Boston).

If the parts that fit onto the rudder cap are in good enough shape to measure, I can pick up in Bristol (or you can leave in my boat).

Duncan Maio
Mystic Marine
Norwood MA
781-948-1820
Duncan Maio
s/v Remedy
CD27 #37
Bristol, RI
Matt Cawthorne
Hull # 79

fiberglass?

Post by Matt Cawthorne »

Every two or three years I sand blast mine and re-paint it. It weighs quite a bit. As it turns out, last weekend I pulled it out and sailed the boat with it for a while. The tiller is at an angle that brings it very close to the wheel and, in fact interferes with the pulley for the windpilot. I was thinking about making one out of bronze with a fiberglass handle. Anodized aluminum sounds good too. I would make the handle a couple of feet longer to improve the mechanical advantage. Just a thought.
kaleevala

Re: Emergency tiller - CD33

Post by kaleevala »

could you send a picture to kaleevala@yahoo.com