CD-25 coach roof -- solid or balsa core?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

CD-25 coach roof -- solid or balsa core?

Post by Roy J. »

Does any one know if the coach roof of late 70's CD-25's had balsa coring on the coach roof, just above the aftmost portlight? At some point the halyard winch was moved to Auburn's rooftop and I noticed some "bounciness" while stepping nearby. I weigh about 200, so I wondered if I have just grown heavy, or should I do more investigation for possible moisture intrusion?

Thanks to all in advance.
Roy Jacobowitz
Gary M
1982 CD22
Marina del Rey, CA

It's balsa core on a CD22

Post by Gary M »

Roy,

I'm sure some 25 owners will chime in soon, but I'm guessin' it is a balsa core. It is on my CD22.

Which reminds me, I've been putting off the project of pulling off my coachroof mounted winches and epoxy up the holes and redrill. I have rebed them however.

The reason I know it's cored is from when I mounted a rope clutch in the same area.

Gary
Sea Owl
CD25 Hull#438
Monmouth Beach, NJ

Balsa Core

Post by Sea Owl »

Ray;

I am 90% sure it is balsa core. I seem to remember not too long ago somebody else commenting on that.
Sea Owl
CDSOA Member #1144
Roy J.

Thanks

Post by Roy J. »

Thanks guys -- that's what I was afraid of.

Roy
Roy Jacobowitz
sealark
"Sea Lark"

Bouncy or Hollow?

Post by sealark »

I kind of have the same question - found this old post from a few years ago.

Hoping maybe I can get some insight without cutting into things.

My coachroof area (from the aft most end and moving forward about 3 feet) sounds "hollow" when I pound on it. As I move forward of that and get closer to the base of the mast - the sound changes to a very solid sound (similar sound to when I pound on the decks). This condition occurs on BOTH sides of the coachroof in the exact same area. There is a very skinny sliver of non skid in this area. My guess is that the nonskid area has a balsa core - but the immediate fiberglass to either side where it turns vertical (both up and down) is just solid fiberglass. And since it is such a narrow area - this is causing the bounciness.

No squishy sound or anything like that - just not as firm sounding?

Any thoughts?

Kevin
Roy J.

Almost certainly balsa core

Post by Roy J. »

Tim Lackey's meticulous documentation of his deck re-coring project on Angelina CD-27, shows pretty clearly where the balsa core falls on the 27 coachroof, and what needs to be done to replace wet core. I would assume that our 25s aren't that different.

His pictures are worth 1000's of words.http://www.lackeysailing.com/angelina/angelina.htm
Roy Jacobowitz
tidalbay

In case anyone is still wondering...

Post by tidalbay »

On a 1978 CD25 - the coach roof DOES NOT have a balsa core. I am 100% sure. If you haven't seen my post on stuff for sale - my CD25 was damaged and I was forced to dispose of the hull. I personally cut the hull up and I can tell you there is no core in the coach roof.

From the back of the cabin to just before the mast - the roof is completely hollow between the inner and outer layer - and there is no core.

Under the mast area - there is still no coring - but the area is packed full of resin between the outer and inner layers.
Roy J.

wow -- thanks

Post by Roy J. »

i wondered about the seeming bounciness on the coachroof. would never have thought there was nothing there!
Roy Jacobowitz