Teak Wooden Block at Typhoon Mast Step???

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Lepley

Teak Wooden Block at Typhoon Mast Step???

Post by Steve Lepley »

I am hoping that there are some knowledgable Typhoon orders out there that can help me solve a mystery.

I usually have the local boat yard, step my mast in the spring and unstep it in the fall. This past winter we've had Searunner inside for some much needed fiberglass and deck work. It is now time for launching and we can no longer find the piece of wooden teak block that we had observed always lodged at the base of the mast where the step is located.

Can anyone tell me what that block was used for. I know that the mast was not the original but was purchased form Spartan Marine in the 1980's . I also observed that the bottom of the mast is NOT cut straight across but instead cut at an angle. Is that what the block that has disappeared is used for and any suggestions or ideas on what size we should now have made up..

We have replaced this winter all standing rigging and want to make sure the new rig is well secure and without knowing about the teak block, it makes us a little frightened..

Thanks for your help.

Steve

Please let me know whatever you can to solve this mystery
Steve Lepley
1972 Typhoon Weekender, "Searunner"
Hull # 255
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Steve:

I think I can answer one small part for you. I have a 1977 Ty Weekender, Hull No. 1400. I helped the rigger step the mast a few months ago when I bought her.

The rigger explained that the mast was cut at an angle to help prevent it from slipping out of the tabernacle. On my Ty, the tabernacle has two slits on each side, open on the aft side. Pin(s) in the mast slide into these slits. Because of the angled cut, once the mast is up and the stays adjusted, the mast cannot accidentially "slide aft" because of the angled cut.

I never saw a teak plate/block in the area of the mast and cannot help with this issue.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Steve Lepley

Thanks

Post by Steve Lepley »

Thanks for good knowledge
Steve Lepley
1972 Typhoon Weekender, "Searunner"
Hull # 255
Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

Mast Step

Post by Les Bloom »

Steve, I still have Pyewacket on the hard here in Portsmouth
at Brewers North for a similar, but different problem.

If it being held up & in place with the pin only and does not touch the base you have a safety problem. This on the
advise of a former Cape Dory production manger who works at Brewers in Portsmouth.

My e-mail is les.bloom@earthlink.net. Send me back an E-mail tomorrow and we can talk.

~~~~/)
Les Bloom
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Steve:

I was out sailing today on Tadpole. I again checked the mast configuration, etc.

The bottom of the mast that sits in the tabernacle is angled with the longer end of the angle forward and the shorter end of the angle aft near the internal halyard blocks, etc. The forward part of the mast sits/rests on the bottom of the tabernacle. The aft part of the mast does NOT rest on the bottom of the tabernacle. The rigger, who is familiar with CDs, explained this is exactly how they were designed. I am a true tadpole sailor so I assume the rigger is correct. :roll:

I also looked for a teak block in, on or near the tabernacle. No joy. No joy.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

Like This?

Denis
Jim Sullivan
Location: Past owner of '71 and '73 CD Typhoon; '83 CD22D. Current owner of M/V ATEA IV, 21' lobster boat.

Post by Jim Sullivan »

As the previous owner of two Typhoons for over 14 years, I have never seen or heard of the need for a teak block at the base of the mast. What I have seen is a few cases where some one has placed a wood block beneath the mast tabernacle. This was done because the shrouds were stretched out rather than replaced. The span was shortened by placing a wood block as previously described. This was not the right approach. The rig was likely over tightened and/or lack of support beneath the mast to support the downward pressure. What D Rush has posted in this thread is how the mast on a properly stepped Ty should look like.

Jim :)
GLutzow

Post by GLutzow »

Perhaps I can shed some light with a possible explanation for your wooden block by relating an experience that I had with my TYW.

I owned this boat for 25 years and have sailed in many varied conditions. On one occasion we were out in a VERY fresh breeze in the range of 25-30kts, don't ask. On a reach, in confused seas, I had my backstay part which allowed the mast to begin to pivot forward... clean shorts were in order. I quickly rounded up into the wind to ease the pressure and lowered the main. We then rigged a spare halyard as a back stay and continued on into port. A wedge of some sort, or perhaps a stop pin MAY have helped to support the mast in this case. If we had been running before the wind we would have lost the mast in very short order.

Perhaps the previous owner had this very same thing occur or was just anticipating trouble.
Greg Lutzow
Nokomis, FL

CD25
"Beau Soleil"
sailing off a mooring in Sarasota Bay

With nothin' but stillness as far as you please
An' the silly mirage stringin' islands an' seas.