Alignment question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Ray Garcia

Alignment question

Post by Ray Garcia »

I was down below this evening aligning the engine and shaft couplings. I eye balled the alignment and used a light and mirror to get the couplings as close as possible before switching to the feeler gauge (.010) I got it as close as I can with adjusting all 4 points.

When the couplings are separated the shaft coupling end moves about 1/4" in all directions. Is this normal? Should there be this much play on the shaft end? I just installed a new cutlass bearing. I don't think the bearing is moving nor the shaft tube. I have already epoxy faired the external area where the shaft exits the hull.

When I bring the couplings together and measure with the feeler everything is good. Also when I turn the couplings together I do not feel any misalignment nor perceptible wobble.

The shaft end moving when couplings seperated concerns me.
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

what you're seeing is normal

Post by Kurt »

A little bit of wiggle is normal. The cutlass bearing is made of rubber which is somewhat soft and resiliant....hence the movement you've noticed.
Kurt
Ken Textor

Yes, normal

Post by Ken Textor »

Ray,

It needs that much play for when you foul a line, pick up a plastic bag, etc. If you could be watching your shaft when something like that happens, you'd notice it jiggling a bit. That's normal and prevents some stresses from reaching the tranny. In larger engine setups with larger shafts, more torque, etc., this much play might be a concern. But in a lil' ole sailboat engine, nah.

Ken
________
Buy iolite vaporizer