Epoxy Source Tank Repair Bilge Maintenance

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

wsonntag
SURPRISE
Georgetown Maryland
Member Since 2005

Epoxy Source Tank Repair Bilge Maintenance

Post by wsonntag »

I would like to share the contact information for a firm that has supplied me with some helpful epoxy product. Progressive Epoxy Polymers www.epoxyproducts.com has sold me “Wet/Dry 700 Epoxy” that I have used to seal the bilge of my CD 31. Reading the posts on this Board regarding leakage from the integral holding tank in these boats convinced me that I was having the same problem or at least needed to exercise precaution.

The material is tailor made for this application. The description: “…a Kevlar reinforced epoxy coating system designed for coating and repairing surfaces that may be subjected to constant immersion in water, works underwater…..Wet/dry 700 will bond to water saturated concrete and is resistant to sewer gasses, pool chemicals, sulfur based chemicals, dilute acids and most caustics, and most hydrocarbon solvents (diesel, mineral spirits, etc)” “Uses include, swimming pools, marine environments, docks, fiberglass and wood boats, sewers, tunnels, dams, spillways, steel and concrete piping”

As with any catalyst epoxy temperature control to regulate how fast it kicks is necessary. I found out the “hard” way when my first test batch kicked in the pot and landed in a cowpie like lump on the surface I was coating. An ice water bath for the stuff in summer temps should work.

Although I am not an epoxy expert (my restoration projects are all wooden boats) the firm has a good many useful products on the website, they have answered my email questions helpfully, quickly filled my orders and the product I purchased has exceeded expectations. Its amazing oatmeal thick stuff that bonds like crazy to less than pristine fiberglass.

Check them out.

Bill Sonntag
CD 31
SURPRISE