Considering buying a CD25 located on LI, NY

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve P
Shelter Island, NY

Considering buying a CD25 located on LI, NY

Post by Steve P »

I am interested in buying a CD25 and considering one for sale in Southold, NY (CD25 #352 “Summer Time”) per the link below. Is anyone familiar with her?

Thanks,

Steve

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 60829&url=
Mathias

Observations

Post by Mathias »

I am not familiar with her. But, having a CD25, here are some observations:

She seems well kept. She has a 12-volt outlet for chargers. That's a nice addition. She has a dorade venting box. Mine has a solar-charged vent fan on the front hatch. I think that is a better venting system, but that cowl on the dorade does look awfully nice.

Some previous owner had the teak cockpit sole put in. Nice addition.

There is a port-side, cabin-top winch. I am presuming to raise the jib. (Which is traditionally raised on the port side.) That is a nice addition.

These additions hint that she was well cared-for. Someone loved her and that is worth a lot.

I don't have the below-bunk access hatch, which the photos show on the starboard side. Nice. I have to lift my cushions to gain access to that space.

I have a cool box in my companionway stair, and I don't see a ring-pull in the photos for a similar hatch to a cool-box. Does it have one?

All in all, she look nice. I would ask about the condition of the sails. I would ask about the age of the motor.

In my final assesment, I think you can find the equivalent CD25 for less money. These days, with the economy being what it is, you can get the equivalent boat for less. But a significant factor is proximity to where you are.

I bought mine eight years ago for 7,500 and had to buy a 1,500 trailer to move her. If you don't have to buy a trailer, that is a plus, but consider your storage costs. My yard charges rental fees for jack stands, but I didn't have to rent jack stands because I bought a trailer. So the trailer paid off in the end.

I know you are anxious to buy. We all were when we bought our boats. Patience pays. But not at the expense of taking advantage of a good deal when it presents itself. So.... that is my two cents, which inflation has reduced to nothing more than a few pointers.

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain
Roy J.
Location: The fleet: Auburn CD-25, CD-28 #255 as yet unnamed Marblehead MA

Check the chainplates and offer $6K

Post by Roy J. »

I agree with Mathias's basic assessment. The boat looks well loved and cared for. Take a look at the chainplates for rust and crusty fiberglass, if they are OK, then offer $6K contingent on a survey. If the sail inventory is in good shape or better, and the survey doesn't find anything egregious, at $6K you can replace the old outboard and still be sailing a great boat that doesn't require a lot of work for $7500. If you have to transport a long distance, then keep looking for one closer to home, or make an offer that factors in your transport cost. Maybe the seller is anxious and you get a remarkable deal. Try not to fall in love before you do all this thinking and factoring though...we all know what happens then.

Have fun and good luck.
Roy Jacobowitz
Steve P
Shelter Island, NY

Post by Steve P »

Mathias/Roy -- Thanks for the advice. Will let you know how it goes...

Steve
seajunkie

Post by seajunkie »

I have a cool box in my companionway stair
Mathias is the box you speak of the cooler, or do you have another box?

I like the teakwork on the cabin sole and the cockpit floor. I Is the white Hershoff looking interior standard or an option? I really like that.

I bought mine a few months ago and needed to buy a mainsail because I blew it out and a working jib because it didn't have one. My gate valves are shot and I need to replace them. I haven't checked the chainplates but they worry me.

I grew up on the LI sound. I wish I could take my CD from San Diego to Port Jeff to sail for a few weeks. We have more consistent summer wind of 10 knots in San Diego, but LI is beautiful and there are so many private and protected waters to explore in the area.
Mathias

Cooler

Post by Mathias »

Yes, by "cool box" I mean "cooler" that is the standard issue (I believe) of the built-in unit that forms a stair into the cabin. My lid has a pull ring.

I forgot to mention the nice sole. That is not standard. Or at least not in the mid-70's versions. Some prior owner did some fancy work there.

-Mathias
Sunset, CD25
Lake Champlain