Documenting a CD26 (or even a 25D...)

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BillNH

Documenting a CD26 (or even a 25D...)

Post by BillNH »

Just curious - has anyone federally documented their CD 26 or 26D? As they're quite similar, I'd also be interested in hearing of documented 25Ds...
Kurt
9' Dyer,
Grosse Pointe, Michigan

CD 26 was documented

Post by Kurt »

The CD26 I owned from 1991-2003 was documented. I bought it that way and sold it that way.
Steve Darwin

Post by Steve Darwin »

Look through the boat registry, sorted by model. Owners often say if their boat is documented. Some 25D's are said to be, but when I measured mine, the volume did not meet the minimum requirement for federal documentation. Hmmm...
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Bruce Ebling

Documented 25D

Post by Bruce Ebling »

My 25D "Selah" was documented by a previous owner.
Bruce Ebling
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Me, too

Post by Joe Myerson »

My 25D was documented, by the original owner, and the previous owner renewed it, as have I.

Also, note that Selah, referenced above, was once owned by the none other than John Vigor of this board.

It's close, but apparently 25Ds do qualify (if you do your own calculations). I'd assume you could do the same for a 26.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Russell

Post by Russell »

Steve Darwin wrote:Look through the boat registry, sorted by model. Owners often say if their boat is documented. Some 25D's are said to be, but when I measured mine, the volume did not meet the minimum requirement for federal documentation. Hmmm...
Somewhere in the archives there is a discussion on this very topic (volume not seeming to qualify) which if I recall explained how to go about it. These boats certainly do qualify since obviously many have been documented and made voyages to places requiring them to be documented (most foreign countries require it).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
BillNH

Post by BillNH »

Yes, that's the reason for my inquiry. The measurement rules were changed in the mid-80s (all boats used to use what is now the "fin keel" formula), but vessels where a sistership was documented are grandfathered under the old measurement scheme. I went through this with a Contessa 26 a few years ago, and that's why I'm looking for a specific precedent here for the 26.

I did look in the Registry but none of the 26s are noted as documented.

I'm also curious what "depth" measurement was used for documented 26s?
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Both the CD26 and CD25D are....

Post by CruiseAlong »

....capable of being documented. I have seen a number of CD25Ds documented and my own CD26 has been since 1985. I'll take a look at the original document which had the "numbers" which were used.
Dana
gpb102030

26d documentation

Post by gpb102030 »

I have a 26d and had it documented this spring. The certificate lists.
Gross tonnage 6GRT , Net tonnage 5NRT , Length 25.9 , Breadth 8.0 , Depth 6.3 . I paid one of the online services to do it so it was pretty easy. And the did a title search and since the boat had been repossessed by a boat yard they got all the legal documents to prove clear title. I think it cost about 3 or 4 hundred bucks. It was www.boatdocumentation.com But with the info you now have you can probably save some money and do it your self. greg
gpb102030
BillNH

Post by BillNH »

Thanks Greg, that depth figure was the number I needed! Sounds like there's several good precedents as well!
CruiseAlong
Seaford, VA

Confirmed as Well

Post by CruiseAlong »

I can confirm Greg's number as well. Checking last night on my original CD26 documentation...indicates
L=25.9 feet
B= 8.0 feet
D=6.4 feet (that is the height from the bottom of keel to toe rail at midship.

I should point out that documentation usually asks if the boat has an inboard engine...basically because the "engine room" can not be counted as cargo carrying space. From the automated worksheet on the NVD center the D=6.4 just works for documentation qualification but 6.3 did not.

Dana
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

25D documentation

Post by trapper »

Does anyone have the numbers for the 25D
Joe Myerson

25D numbers

Post by Joe Myerson »

Trapper,

These are the numbers from my documentation:

Gross Tonnage: 6 GRT
Net Tonnage: 5NRT
Length: 25.2 ft.
Breadth: 8.0
Depth: 6.3

Hope this is what you're looking for.

Good luck,

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Darwin

25D numbers

Post by Steve Darwin »

BillNH's comment ("The measurement rules were changed in the mid-80s (all boats used to use what is now the "fin keel" formula), but vessels where a sistership was documented are grandfathered under the old measurement scheme.") may explain 25D documentation, because using Joe's numbers I calculate only 4.29 NRT for the 25D:

(Length: 25.2 ft.) X (Breadth: 8.0) X (Depth: 6.3) X (Hull shape factor: 0.5) X (Keel shape factor: 0.75) = 4.76 GRT X 0.9 = 4.29 NRT

Calculation instructions are posted under "Services" and "Tonnage Measurement" at USCG "HomePort" web site:

http://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep ... efault.jsp

[/code]
Steve Darwin
CD 25D "Arabella"
Fairhaven, Mass
Joe Myerson

Uh-oh

Post by Joe Myerson »

I've just been renewing my documentation every year, as had the last two owners.

Perhaps this is a can of worms that should NEVER have been opened?
Former Commodore, CDSOA

--Capt. John Smith, 1627