Alternatives to West Marine, etc.

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Alternatives to West Marine, etc.

Post by Neil Gordon »

In another thread we talk about Tiller Tamers vs. sail ties and spare lengths of line. So I thought I'd ask a more general question.

Walking the aisles of West Marine or equivalent store, we see endless "solutions" for storing, hanging, controling and otherwise managing, often with a price tag of $29.95 and up. So here's the question:

What nifty solutions do you have that are the equivalent of or are better than the store bought solution. Please limit your answers to fixes that can be effected for free or nearly so and can be generally crafted from odds and ends already on board.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mark Yashinsky
Second Chance

Do you have a specific project in mind?

Post by Mark Yashinsky »

Also, everyone has different odds and ends on board.
Compare prices to places like big box home improvement places, discount stores, odds&ends stores, and the online places. One has to be creative and be planning ahead, though.
One can do a lot with a big roll of velco, and various adhesives, and/or a sewing machine.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Do you have a specific project in mind?

Post by Neil Gordon »

Mark Yashinsky wrote:One can do a lot with a big roll of velco, and various adhesives, and/or a sewing machine.
No, I don't have a specific problem or project in mind but I'm always open to new ideas. Especially if the solution is with nominal or no cost.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Carl Thunberg

Not my idea, but . . .

Post by Carl Thunberg »

I will claim no credit for this, but one of the thriftier ideas I got from this Board was to use square kitty litter tubs as storage containers inside the cockpit locker. They're the perfect size, and they stack tightly against each other. I seem to remember it might have been Warren Kaplan, but I'm not sure.

This one is my idea. I have three daughters who are growing like weeds. Kids belts are great for tying up loose lines. Also, my wife made a halyard bag out of a pair of old jeans. Cut the legs off at the crotch and sew them shut. To add a touch of whimsy, she embroidered the name of our boat into the back pockets. We get a lot of comments on them.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Neil Gordon

Re: Not my idea, but . . .

Post by Neil Gordon »

Carl Thunberg wrote:Also, my wife made a halyard bag out of a pair of old jeans. Cut the legs off at the crotch and sew them shut.
That puts you in first place, Carl.

While I'm looking for ideas, anyone have suggestions for the acres of not quite pristine sail cloth that's piled up in my garage?
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mahalocd36

Post by mahalocd36 »

Neil Gordon wrote:
While I'm looking for ideas, anyone have suggestions for the acres of not quite pristine sail cloth that's piled up in my garage?
Several companies are making businesses out of making all sorts of things with old sails - tote bags, wine carriers, jackets, etc.

http://www.sailorbags.com/
http://www.seafevergear.com/index.html
Melissa Abato
www.sailmahalo.com
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

Gave my old main sail to my son and we rigged it as an awning over his deck. It wound up fitting nice. Used grommets to attached the sail along the luff to the house then supported the whole sail with an old jib boom that was not being used pulling it out at the clew to make it taught. The tension is adjustable with a line on the boom. The boom itself is held in place with a line to the top of the boom and a turnbuckle attached to a deck post.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
tartansailor

Storage Space

Post by tartansailor »

1 gallon jugs of bottled water fit beautifully under the cabin sole.

We are loathe to store drinking water in the stock water tank, so
it was removed, and the well makes for a great place to store additional anchor line.

Finger holes in draw and cabinet draws are to my way of thinking, potential finger busters, so they were plugged and knobs installed.

Surplus sail cloth can make for great bunk boards, and stow nicely under the pad when not needed.

Sail cloth might be considered for covering cockpit cushions.

Nice thread; forces one to think.

Dick
Duncan
Montreal, QC

Olive "Barrels" & Soft Cloth Bags

Post by Duncan »

Olive Barrels

They are selling about 2 lbs of olives in a miniature plastic "barrel" now. At a guess, this is at least a quart, maybe two, of perfectly dry storage space. They have a wide mouth and a gasketed, threaded lid. They're very handy for small things I'd like to be sure to keep dry.

White-water canoeists have been using the bigger ones they ship bulk olives in for years - they're about 18" high, 12" in diameter, at a guess - be good for bigger boats. (Plus the olives are really good ones, and they come at a nice price in bulk sizes like this).

Soft Cloth Bags

Sometimes premium booze or good shoes or other things come in nice soft cloth bags with a drawstring opening. They work really well to hold things I don't want to get banged or scratched up (handheld compass, emergency candle lantern, etc.).

Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

mahalocd36 wrote:Several companies are making businesses out of making all sorts of things with old sails - tote bags, wine carriers, jackets, etc.

http://www.sailorbags.com/
http://www.seafevergear.com/index.html
According to their website, Sailorbags has grown large enough so they're not making bags from sails anymore. Rather, they use similar material. So no recycling there.

Seafevergear will make custom totes from your sails, however.

I'm thinking I could recycle my old main and have them make a large duffel bag for me. On the other hand, if all I need is a large duffel, I could just dump the sail out of its bag.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Bottle Padding

Post by Evergreen »

Put your wine or booze bottles in thick socks. That way they are padded well and can be stored next to each other without worry.
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Troy Scott

hefty bags, etc.

Post by Troy Scott »

The larger clear freezer bags are terrific for things you want to stay dry. They are cheap and reusable. When the bag is clear, you don't have to open it to see what's inside. They conform to the storage area, so there's no wasted space. You can put anything from crackers to shirts or hardware in them. Dry food, clothes and towels will be clean, dry and fresh months later.

Plain plastic trash bags have many of the advantages listed above. They aren't clear, but they're bigger. You can store line, sails and anything else that was dry when it went in. But don't put a damp sail in a plastic bag if you ever want to use it again. You can pull a bag up from below clothing on hangers and never have to worry about your clothes being ruined by condensation from the hull side of your hanging locker.

Plain pillowcases work well for organizing bedding, clothes, etc.. They come in all colors and in many sizes. You can match your interior with these "storage devices" which can then be laid or hung just about anywhere that's dry. They will look like and sometimes function like throw pillows. They are cheap, washable, reusable, take no space when empty.....

Plastic toolboxes and tackle boxes, bought in sizes to fit the appropriate spaces under berths, etc., are great for organizing all kinds of stuff like hardware, thimbles, whipping twine, cotter pins, spare impellers, spark plugs, etc.. They are cheap. Just make sure you buy these without steel parts that will rust.

Walmart has clear plastic containers that come with movable dividers that can be positioned to tailor fit whatever you want to store. You can see what's inside without opening the box. You can stack them. Very handy and cheap.

It isn't necessary to spend a lot of money on marine-specific storage devices. Ordinary stuff thoughtfully chosen will work just fine.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Neil Gordon

Re: Bottle Padding

Post by Neil Gordon »

Evergreen wrote:Put your wine or booze bottles in thick socks. That way they are padded well and can be stored next to each other without worry.
That also solves the problem of having all those extra bulky winter socks in my sock drawer. Might also add some subtle "nose" to the $5.99 Trader Joe specials I'm so fond of.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Neil Gordon

Re: hefty bags, etc.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Troy Scott wrote:Plain pillowcases work well for organizing bedding, clothes, etc..
Throw pillows are great for stowing items of clothing like extra sweat shirts and pants. Toss the insides and you're now storing soft clothing in otherwise "free" space. (A plastic bag inside will keep clothes clean and dry if that's an issue.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mgphl52

Add a used dryer sheet!

Post by mgphl52 »

If you're storing towels, sheets, etc., in large freezer bags for any extended time, adding a used dryer sheet will keep them smelling fresh too!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!