Thanks, "Sea Hunt" and others

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

augiedoggie

Thanks, "Sea Hunt" and others

Post by augiedoggie »

I've recently joined this message board and have thoroughly enjoyed the comments, the information, and the helpful advice members give to each other. I had focused on the Buy/Sell board, debating between whether we wanted/could fit in a CD 22/22D or go to the larger CD 25D. The CD 25D has won out and the hunt is on. But the CD Discussion Board is where I really got hooked. Sea Hunt's posts, and trials and tribulations in searching for the right boat ring very true, and I'm glad to have so much guidance along the way; in fact, I think we've looked at some of the same boats!

It's also fun to be moving back toward the CD fold. After time as a kid sailing in Massachusetts Bay in an old Winslow-built Northeast Challenger and O'Day Day Sailer, my Dad bought a CD 14, which we sailed and rowed throughout Massachusetts for a number of years. We even took 2nd prize at the CD Regatta in 1972 (I think), where four in our class vied for honors. Tragically, one day one of my then recently-licensed brothers failed to tie the CD 14 down to the trailer after a sail, and dumped the poor craft onto Memorial Drive in Cambridge, MA; another brother later wagered he could sail under the railroad span by the B.U. Bridge and lost, giving our spars a unique look. And finally one of them managed to stop the prow of a Sunfish amidships, providing us all our first glimpse of fiberglass fabric. But no one could call it a whimpy boat. If anyone has a CD 14 with a large crack and hole on the port side (yes, we were on starboard tack, at least) filled with black goopus, and a cork-screw mast, I'd be interested to know.

The point of this rambling tale is, well...pointless. Except to point out that this message board is remarkably helpful and very entertaining. Sea Hunt, if it's any consolation, my brother and I joke about how much fun it is to look for a sailboat -- owning one can be another matter (but still worth it!).

Many thanks to all who maintain and contribute to this board. And I'd appreciate any help in steering me toward the perfect CD 25D (I promise it will receive better care than our last Cape Dory).

Cheers!
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Welcome back to Cape Dorys (sort of, anyway) and Good Luck with your search!

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!