CD 28 owners -- tiller pilot

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Rebinva

CD 28 owners -- tiller pilot

Post by Rebinva »

What brand, size tiller pilot do you use? How well does it work? Other thoughts??
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Tiller Pilot for CD-28

Post by sgbernd »

I have the RayMarine ST2000 in service for about 6 years and about 2500 miles. It works fine. When the seas get up, you will have to take over as it gets over powered and it doesn't do so well running down wind with a following sea. But for about 90% of what I do, it is great. It has not given any trouble and always works.
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Same here, ST2000, but I haven't used it very often - I enjoy helming, especially with a foot... If I need to take care of something (more beer, etc.) I grab a sail tie, put the loop around the tiller and take it to the windward cleat. I nice conditions, I've sailed several miles like that and altered course a bit with gentle sail trim adjustments.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
RDH3
CD28
Oriental, NC

Autohelm and windvane

Post by RDH3 »

I use an ancient Raymarine autohelm until the apparent wind gets to around 6 knotts or so. I'm not even sure about the model. It came with the boat and works well. I installed a Windpilot Pacific windvane last year and love it. I really like the sensation of the the force of the wind on the sails and water on the windvane balancing each other out. Not to mention the battery power savings. It works well when the apparent wind is above 6 knotts or so.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

mgphl52 wrote:I grab a sail tie, put the loop around the tiller and take it to the windward cleat.
You know, I've always wondered about those "Tiller Tamer" gizmos that seem to do exactly the same thing as a [free] piece of leftover line from the bottom of a cockpit locker.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Neil Gordon wrote:
mgphl52 wrote:I grab a sail tie, put the loop around the tiller and take it to the windward cleat.
You know, I've always wondered about those "Tiller Tamer" gizmos that seem to do exactly the same thing as a [free] piece of leftover line from the bottom of a cockpit locker.
My "problem" with tiller tamers is that uncomfortable mass attached to the tiller. Since KAYLA came with the ST2000 and it's connecting pin already on the tiller, I've gotten use to that and "know" where it is when I'm helming with my leg or foot. But I think a tamer would be more nuisance than it's worth. Especially since a properly tuned & trimmed Cape Dory usually has just the right amount of weather helm; I've never needed to use two sail ties! :D

I guess if you're motoring a lot that might help, but I usually just steer and enjoy being on the water. :)

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Rebinva

Thanks all

Post by Rebinva »

I guess I'll be looking for a 2000.