splicing gps antenna wire

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

lubeckmaine

splicing gps antenna wire

Post by lubeckmaine »

Hopefully, this is a simple question to answer. I am installing a raymarine chart plotter at the binnacle and the holes I drilled are for the wire size. I'm bought a Shakespeare splicing kit that I'm hoping will be compatible with the Raymarine coax, which is labeled "RG 58c/u 50ohm." The connector ends in the kit are specified for "RG 58/u." Does anyone see any problem here?
lubeckmaine

rephrase

Post by lubeckmaine »

Allow me to rephrase the question: do I cut the wire and splice or do I make a bigger hole in the deck to get the fitting through?
Mitch F
CD30K, Mere Point, Maine

Post by Mitch F »

After grappling with the same question and getting no sure answers I ended up making the hole big enough for the fitting. Two separate friends, who are not electrical experts, warned me that the antenna performance would be compromised by splicing the wire. I will never know if they were right.

- Mitch
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Splicing coaxial cable

Post by seadawg »

RG58C/U cable can be spliced using "bnc" type connectors and there is always some insertion loss. I takes an experienced hand to work with these connectors for low loss. GPS signals are very low so I wouldn't chance doing that. Why would you splice? Is the cable too short? Could the existing connector come off, run through and then put back on? Otherwise it may be best to enlarge the hole and install a grommet to fill the hole. Just some thoughts. Cheers, Charlie.
lubeckmaine

Post by lubeckmaine »

Thanks everybody- in fact after talking to Hamilton Marine advising me not to cut the wire for the very reason you outlined, I'm enlarging the holes and using "cable clams" I ordered from Defender saving six bucks over the Hamilton price. The Chart plotter data and power cable- Raymarine- I'm sending through the pedestal. But I do worry some about chafe from the steering chain, though, so far, the compass light wire is still working and appears to be in good shape.

I guess my new question would be: would Edson advise against routing the wire along side the compass wire?

PS I'm remembering the Landlubber thread. Yesterday, Renee was painting the bottom starboard side with Seaworthy Newport Green, which I got from the Moose Island Marine bottom paint rack. Renee, complaining the paint was not sticking. prompted me to read the label - I've had shoulder surgery recently so I'm doing the easy jobs - which told me Seaworthy is enamel. I hoped on my bike to the hardware store to get a squeegy, but the enamel was already too dry. Later that afternoon over a few beers with my neighbors , we joked that the gloss of enamel would make us sure winners in any races we entered, or least would make our tacks to port a lot slippery.