Need some input on running rigging for 1980 CD 28

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Anthony P. Jeske
FLYING CIRCUS

Running Rigging

Post by Anthony P. Jeske »

Hi John:
I'm not sure you'll gain a lot by making your sheets longer. You'll be able to flip them end for end after some years and that'll give you added life.

I have a mostly wire topping lift on my CD-28. I'm happy with it.

While there are advantages to mid boom sheeting, there are also disadvantages. I'd hold off on a major refit like that until you're more familiar with the boat.

Adding a boom vang is a cost effective upgrade. Here's a web page with Spartan specs for adding a boom vang to Cape Dorys:
http://www.jibeho.org/vang.htm

Good Luck!
Tony Jeske
mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

Hi John,

I'll also agree with Tony, hold off on the mid-boom sheeting till you've sailed her a while. I contemplated the same change, but am glad I didn't do it. I single hand KAYLA a lot, sometimes with lots of 'passengers'... having the main sheet very handy at the stern helps a lot. Yes, with 4-to-1 purchase there's a lot of sheet to run when reaching, but the loads are generally quite manageable. As for the topping lift, I would recommend talking with Garhauer (http://garhauermarine.com/catalog_process.cfm?cid=40) about their rigid vangs.

That's one change I'm really wanting to make soon.

Enjoy!
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Running Rigging

Post by Neil Gordon »

Anthony P. Jeske wrote:I'm not sure you'll gain a lot by making your sheets longer. You'll be able to flip them end for end after some years and that'll give you added life.
I agree about turning lines end for end to equalize the wear. But there are several reasons to go a bit longer than minimum:

Possible use with a larger genoa. More overlap requires a longer lazy sheet.

Over-riding turns on a winch and a need to release the sheet quickly. (The fastest way is with a knife.) Cutting the knot at the clew shortens the sheet a bit, by the length of line taken up by the knot. (Cutting the sheet at the winch shortens it a lot!)

Allow for a bit of shrinkage.

I'd go for about three feet more than the spec. That's six feet for port and stbd or about an extra $5 bucks. You can always make them a bit shorter later on; making them longer is tricky.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Andy Denmark

Wire topping lift

Post by Andy Denmark »

Stick with the 1/4" dacron for your topping lift. 3/16" 1 X 19 wire is much too heavy for this light application, not to mention expensive. Wire is awful for the leech of the sail, too, as the topping lift should always be flopping when you're sailing and it inevitably hits the sail, abrades the batten pockets, and wears the stitching wherever it hits. I use 1/8" Kevlar for the TL on my CD-27 and it works just fine. SS thimbles are sewn into both ends. A 3:1 or 4:1 tackle on the lower 3 feet of the TL is all you'll need for adjustment.

If you ever plan to use your backstay as a ham or SSB antenna then a wire topping lift will severely degrade the performance of the radio system.

My $.02 worth
________
ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Denmark

Wire vs. Dacron

Post by Andy Denmark »

Why Kevlar? (1) strength, (2) light weight (always reduce weight aloft if you can), (3) low windage (same theory as #2), (4) doesn't damage everything it touches on the sail (like wire does)

If you insist on using wire then go to a sailmaker and get some 1/16" 1 X 19 or 3/32" 1 X 19. Both 7 X 7 and 7 X 19 are extremely "abrasive" to stitching, etc. on the sail. Simply run your hand along a piece of 1 X 19 and then along the other two and see which one feels rougher.

As for the 50/50 ratio of wire vs. rope topping lifts, consensus for sailing gear and boats, like real life, proves absolutely nothing, IMHO.

Another $.02 worth for free !!!
________
STEROID REHAB DICUSSION
Last edited by Andy Denmark on Feb 13th, '11, 03:38, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Wire vs. Dacron

Post by Neil Gordon »

Andy Denmark wrote:... consensus for sailing gear and boats, like real life, proves absolutely nothing, IMHO.
I'll go with Andy on that one. If we went with consensus, we'd all be sailing Clorox bottles with fin keels.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
marilou

FWIW

Post by marilou »

My topping lift is the original 1984 1/4" dacron line.
The Boom vang is a very useful multi purpose piece of hardware.
mgphl52

Re: Wire vs. Dacron

Post by mgphl52 »

Neil Gordon wrote:
Andy Denmark wrote:... consensus for sailing gear and boats, like real life, proves absolutely nothing, IMHO.
I'll go with Andy on that one. If we went with consensus, we'd all be sailing Clorox bottles with fin keels.
Ain't THAT the truth! God Bless Carl Alberg & Cape Dory Yachts!

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!