Vertical alinement of a typhoon mast

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

Vertical alinement of a typhoon mast

Post by Les Bloom »

I have a question about the verticial alinement of a typhoon
mast when installed. I lost the original mast during a heavy storm
on the sakonnet river. It was broken in to just above the sheeves at the base. Insurance paid for damage.

I purchased a new mast without fittings from rig-rite and brought
it home ( I live in Rhode Island ). With data supply from Greg Ross
( He had simaliar damage ). I was able to finish the new mast at a great saving.

Last year before launching at the boatyard, they had parked another weekender next to me and I noted my mast was a racked little aft veritically compared to other one which appeared to straight up the air. Next day Inever saw that TY. again.

I also believe that the forestay ( originial ) appears to be very tight
when rigged.

Which is correct, slightly raked aft or straight up. . How can I correct ?
Les Bloom
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Slightly Raked Or Straight Up

Post by Oswego John »

Les,

There's lots of things governing the answer. Is it rigged for racing or for pleasure sailing? Keel stepped or cuddy roof stepped mast. After the accident, was anything changed? New stay(s)? New tang(s)? New turnbuckle(s)? With hull #576, I suppose that you have a tabernacle.

The normal Typhoon mast is straight up. (As far as I know).

With an older Ty with a keel stepped mast, there is a hole in the cuddy roof that is immovable. The mast is made plumb by the location of the mast shoe located just above the keel ballast. By moving the shoe foreward or aft controls the rake.

The position of the tabernacle above the cuddy cabin, in effect, does the same thing. It should be permanently affixed and never moved, unless intentionally for a special reason.

If the stepped mast has a rake and the mast shoe or tabernacle hasn't been moved, I would suspect that there has been a change in the fixed rigging. Either there is extra length in the forward stay, a longer stay tang, or a longer turnbuckle is now being used.

By the same token, maybe a shorter aft stay, shorter mast attachment or turnbuckle is now being used. Even if the same forward stay is being used, you have to remember that you have a fractional rig and if the aft rigging is shorter, you will have an arc in the upper mast.

Check to see if some of this rake can be reduced by adjustment in both turnbuckles or an extension added to the aft turnbuckle attachment to allow the mast tip to come forward a bit.

Good luck,
O J
Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

Vertical alignment of TY mast

Post by Les Bloom »

O. J.,

No changes except the new mast. No new turnbuckles,no new running rigging. After stay slack as compared to the tightness of the forestay aft when it is attacted.

I have a thought that when I prepared the new mast when cutting the base of the mast aft, with the upward angle, that there is slightly to much metal on the forward edge of the mast as it set in the tabernacle, then I could grind down a little until it then sets vertically.

What do you think. Thanks for your reply.

Les Bloom ~~~~~/)

P. S. the old mast made a great 20 ft. flag pole in the back yard.
Les Bloom
tartansailor

Balance

Post by tartansailor »

Les,
In tuning your standing rigging, the most important consideration is
to have a balanced boat, that is with tiller free, the boat heads straight, or very slightly to a weather.
Adjust your mast accordingly.

Dick
Les Bloom
Portsmouth, RI

Post by Les Bloom »

Dick,

I appreciate and understand what you are saying.

My TY and the other Ty were out of the water both setting on
trailers side by side each other. both boats were level and the rake was noticable.

When I got the new mast from Kim at rig-rite, I ask for and got
a 6" section of the stock make a test run. It followed the data and
template that I got from Greg Ross to a tee.

After this test run, I made the cut on the mast. They are an exact match.

When you place the pin in the short 6" stock section and slide
it in to the tabernacle you can see it rake slightly aft, which of course appears more apparent with the actual mast.

LES BLOOM~~~~~~/)[/color]
[/b]
Les Bloom
tartansailor

Go With It.

Post by tartansailor »

Les,
IMHO you have an ideal situation. Please do not draw any
conclusions until you sail your boat, say on a beam reach with
a drifter, or your largest head sail.

My CD-25 has a noticeable rake, somewhere between 3° and 5°; and with a 150 Genoa has very slight lee helm. Of course in a strong breeze that sail is below deck.
With a 130, the helm is slightly to weather, (like one finger on the tiller); and with a jib we have definite weather helm.

With that set-up I am confident that you will smoke the competition
all things being equal.
Enjoy!

Dick