Jibe Technique

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Jibe Technique

Post by seadawg »

Gradually I am learning to sail in windier conditions--18-25 mph. With a storm jub and a double reefed main I complete most tacks but I have been reluctant (scarred) to ever try a jibe mostly because I don't quite know what will happen. I know to bring the boom amidship and ease the sheet on the new jib. I do this in less windier conditions. Anyones thoughts or techniques on this would be appreciated. Charlie
SeaBelle
Sea Belle
Hail port: Rockland, ME

I have always just

Post by SeaBelle »

1. hauled the main to the centerline
2. jibed, releasing the jib sheet and retrimming the new active sheet
3. and let the main sheet back out, retrimming it.

The jibe is controlled, the main hardly moves when jibing, it doesn't come crashing over scaring everyone and wrecking gear.

If you're not comfortable jibing when windy, some foresake the jibe and do a 'chicken jibe' (multiple tacks).
Sail on,
Jack
CD28 Sea Belle
Hailport - Rockland, ME

There are old sailors and bold sailors, but there are no old, bold sailors.

Reef early and often. It's easier to shake out a reef when one is bored than it is to tuck one in when one is scared.

When your only tool is a hammer, all your problems look like nails.
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

I agree with Jack. If you must jibe in heavy wind hauling the main boom to the midline before doing the jibe takes the "danger" out of that boom snapping with great force across the boat and possibly damaging the rigging or smacking some errant cranium in its path.

By the way, what Jack referred to as a "chicken jibe" is a perfectly legitimate technique called "tacking down wind." Its much safer in big winds as the sails and boat are much easier to control after the maneuver than when doing a jibe in those conditions, unless you are very practiced in doing the jibe. FWIW :)
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I jibe the main first:

Go to a broad reach.

Bring the main to the centerline.

Jibe, bringing the stern through the wind

Release the main sheet as the boom catches the wind. Friction of the blocks plus your hand controlling the sheet will let the boom run out but not crash. (Sailing gloves are a big plus here!)

Jibe the jib/genoa over (or not) and you're good to go.

Note: If you're sailing wing on wing to start, then all you need to do is jibe the main.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Mike Wainfeld
Bayshore, NY

Jibing small boats

Post by Mike Wainfeld »

This method can be used on small boats, which usually also have end boom sheeting; I learned it on a J-24. Sit on the low side toward the stern, push the tiller away, and as the stern comes thru the wind grab the mainsheet by the block at the boom and swing it around, over your head, then let the mainsheet run thru your hand over to the other side So you are controlling the boom at all times. Obviously this cannot be done on a large boat without hurting yourself, but it should be OK on a 22.
Russell

Post by Russell »

I use both techniques, the chicken jibe and bringing the main to centerline, depending on wind conditions. Generally the main to centerline works fine even in very windy conditions, if done carefully and planned out properly. In conditions where it is so windy I might opt to chicken jibe, I tend to not be flying the main anyways.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

I'm with Jack & Warren. When I am alone, I tack and keep on turning (chicken jibe, as opposed to a jive turkey) this is especially true if the club footed jib is also involved. The sheets are cleated on the coach roof and are a bit too far from the helm.

An uncontrolled jibe is a good way to break a sailboat.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (hurricane season began yesterday, but so far so good), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
chase

chicken jibe

Post by chase »

Never had a name for this but figured it out on my own one day -- I have been surprised how different conditions feel when heading upwind after sailing downwind in a fresh breeze for a while. Because of apparent wind, everything feels pretty calm, then head upwind and all of a sudden you're laid over and getting wet.

I have read on this board before to forget the jib when single-handing and focus on the main. I'm more apt to do that now as trying to get it all at the same time for me is ugly. I wondered how other single-handers did it, especially with the winches so far forward it is like an exotic yoga pose I’ll call the drunken octopus.

Once you get the timing right on easing the main, it is very satisfying. As everyone here knows, it is obvious when you're off and the rig shudders. I find this happens in a blow even after trimming the main hard to centerline; there is enough play to make alarming noises if I don't coordinate the easing of the main. Ahh, the ocean is calling me. Two more weeks....

Chase
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Jibing

Post by Oswego John »

I think that hauling in on the main sheet as much as possible has a twofold purpose. Easing the boom to the center prevents the boom from slamming across to the new lee side as well as to prevent the boom tip from rising and allowing the main sail to billow.

O J
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Jibing

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:I think that hauling in on the main sheet as much as possible has a twofold purpose. Easing the boom to the center prevents the boom from slamming across to the new lee side as well as to prevent the boom tip from rising and allowing the main sail to billow.

O J
Not to mention severing the backstay as it attempts crossing the centerline.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Boom Tip A'rising

Post by Oswego John »

Neil,

Right on brother. When that boom tip flies up, only bad things can result. Not much good will happen.

O J
Neil Gordon

Re: Boom Tip A'rising

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:Neil,

Right on brother. When that boom tip flies up, only bad things can result. Not much good will happen.

O J
Boom vang! Tighten the boom vang!

By the way, it's not the boom swinging across that's the problem. It's the sudden stop, all of which gets absorbed by the main sheet and whatever used to hold it to the deck.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
chase

line sizing

Post by chase »

Is this a good reason to not oversize mainsheet?

c
seadawg
Corpus Christi, Tx.

Jibe Technique

Post by seadawg »

Last week I was close hauled on port tack in windy conditions headed for lee shore rocks. I blew 2 tacks (too much sail) trying to get over to starboard tack. Lucky for me the engine started and I completed the tacks. This is what started me thinking about trying to learn the technique of heavy air jibe which would have got me over to starboard tack. Probably better is not let yourself get in this position. Thanks very much folks for you comments. Charlie
henry hey
Location: Former owner: CD25 - 'Homeward Bound' hull #711. Now sailing with C. Brey aboard Sabre 28 Delphine

Heavy weather jibing

Post by henry hey »

All of these experienced sailors (above) raise very good points on jibing.

You might also note that many boats have a strong tendency to continue turning after the jibe. I teach on some j-24s and I always teach my students to compensate for this tendency so that the boat does not continue to round up after the jibe. Of course our Dory's are more forgiving in this area because of full keel but it can happen. You actually barely need to turn to complete your jibe. Remember that a jibe is a fully powered maneuver while a tack is a coasting turn. Make your turn as slow as is comfortable for you -- being constantly mindful of your relationship to the wind direction. Perhaps that is one of the most important jobs of the helmsman (you in this case) when executing a jibe. You neither want to jibe too quickly (and potentially allow the boat to round up after the jibe), nor do you want to jibe and accidentally cross back over the wind and be sailing by the lee -- raising the potential for an accidental jibe back to your original tack.

Hope all this helps. Practice makes perfect. . do it over and over and you will get your confidence up -- and do it in many conditions. That's the only way to really get it down.

hh