Propane Tank Location

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

lubeckmaine

Propane Tank Location

Post by lubeckmaine »

Hello. My 36 has the tank in the lazarette but in a fiberglass container, that besides blasting through its own top, would have to do same to the lazarette cover. Because I'm installing steering vane gear components there, I'm considering placement on the rail. However, I'd really prefer it reinstalled in the lazarette in the fiberglass tank but I haven't figured out how to work the two lids to comply with CC regs. Any solutions out there where there's access to lazarette while providing for the bomb proof tank situation? Fair Winds. Jimmy Buehner, Lubec
Russell

Post by Russell »

Well, personally I find rail mount best for a cruising boat (more room in lockers for essential gear). The fact you say you need to relocate for steering gear makes me wonder though. The only steering gear I can imagine that would do this is a Cape Horn wind vane. If that is the case I highly recommend you reconsider your choice in vane. The only thing Cape Horn has going for it is no lines in the cockpit, but what it has against it is basicly losing your lazzerette storage space and any flexability back there. You are far better off with your steering lines visible then you are with them hidden. Its a nice concept. but personally I find the mounting system and lne system unacceptable with the cape horn. On some boats a cape horn may make more sense. but on a CD with a considerable amount of storage in the laz. it makes no sense at all. Lines in the cockpit are not a big deal at all and I myself prefer to see them as they chafe, then leave them to chafe unattended.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
rwarvin
Location: 30 FT Cape dory cutter rig name ua noa located in honolulu,hi

cape horn wind vane

Post by rwarvin »

i have cape horn wind vane on my cape dory 30 and lines run in the cockpit works great no problems.
lubeckmaine

Post by lubeckmaine »

Russell- to clarify: reinstalling the TANK in the lazarette appeals to my aesthetic sense and an uncluttered mind which I freely admit is piled high with junk. The Cape Horn, a fait accompli, is new in a box in my shop. The fiberglass tank box, a $700 Defender item, is part of the mind junk, which, in part says, "got it, use it." Also, in any storm situation, the thinking goes, the tank below seems rational. I most whole heartedly agree the lazarette is large- at this point in my mind it looks like the Grand Canyon. As you might know, the vane steering quadrant will be low, allowing for stuff on top, the well taken chafe visibility point notwithstanding. Perhaps, to make this discussion shorter, where does one find the rail mounting hardware?
Russell

Post by Russell »

lubeckmaine wrote:Perhaps, to make this discussion shorter, where does one find the rail mounting hardware?
There are no off the self solutions that I am aware of (and I looked long and hard), you basicly come up with a design and go to your local metal shop and have it made.
Russell
Jim Walsh

This is a great rail mount

Post by Jim Walsh »

http://www.suremarine.com/
Go to page 19. I got rid of my tank locker in the lazarette and installed this rail mount last year. I think it is much safer and it frees up some valuable storage space.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Buzzard's Roost-- now St. John's Yacht Habor

Post by trapper »

If you decide to rail mount you will not be welcome at the new St. John's Yacht Harbor (formerly Buzzard's Roost) on the Stono River near Charleston. No tanks: water, propane, gas, desiel or otherwise allowed on the deck. Dingys must be on davits -- no dingys trailing or on deck. No boom covers or full boat covers. The list goes on. All decks must be cleared! Needless to say, we are moving boats soon.
MarcMcCarron

Propane solution.

Post by MarcMcCarron »

I have two 6lb tanks (aluminum) mounted off my stern pulpit.
When I purchased the boat a previous owner made the bracket
from poor materials. I had a fab shop manufacture a SS custom
bracket for under $300.
MARC MCCARRON
Russell

Re: Buzzard's Roost-- now St. John's Yacht Habor

Post by Russell »

trapper wrote:If you decide to rail mount you will not be welcome at the new St. John's Yacht Harbor (formerly Buzzard's Roost) on the Stono River near Charleston. No tanks: water, propane, gas, desiel or otherwise allowed on the deck. Dingys must be on davits -- no dingys trailing or on deck. No boom covers or full boat covers. The list goes on. All decks must be cleared! Needless to say, we are moving boats soon.
Wow! Thats aburd.
Russell
Glen C

Propane safety

Post by Glen C »

If you are concerned about safety, propane tanks mounted on the stern rail should be in an airtight storage locker with a drain hose extending close to the water level.

While at anchor or on a mooring, if the water current swings the stern of the boat into the wind a leak could fill the cockpit and the cabin with propane. The same effect is possible when at dock with a breeze coming from aft.

Consideration should also be given to rail mounted grills that use the small disposable bottles.

Remember that propane accumulating in low areas looses it bad smell over time, but remains explosive.

It does seem to be common practice to mount exposed propane tanks to stern rails on sailboats, but that doesn't mean that it is a safe practice.
Jeff Barnes

Post by Jeff Barnes »

Just curious, but is there any way a suitable propane locker can be configured in the starboard locker. On my CD36 that's where I keep a CNG cylinder (or two). While I prefer it to propane (lighter, safer, hotter), I understand CNG availability in many areas is limited or doesn't exist. Fortunately, on Cape Cod, MA it is easy to get.

Jeff
Russell

Post by Russell »

Jeff Barnes wrote:Just curious, but is there any way a suitable propane locker can be configured in the starboard locker. On my CD36 that's where I keep a CNG cylinder (or two). While I prefer it to propane (lighter, safer, hotter), I understand CNG availability in many areas is limited or doesn't exist. Fortunately, on Cape Cod, MA it is easy to get.

Jeff
Yeah, the starboard locker (well a section of it ) could easily be made into a propane locker, I am sure there are some boats out there that have done this. I looked at it myself as well. The problem is that since the boats were not designed from the start with the need for an airtight locker, any solution is a comprimise. No matter where you locate the locker it will be a very inefficent use of space and result in a lot of dead space that goes to waste.

I wonder, perhaps one of the robinhood owners can pipe in here, where are they locating the propane locker on the new boats?

CNG I personally think is the ideal fuel, not so dangerous and with lots of benefits. But indeed some areas it is very difficult or impossible to get, which is a real shame. It stinks to know there is a better solution out there but also know you cant use it. You are fortunate to be in a position to make use of it. Personally I would like to go the route of a diesel stove, but the options out there (of which there are very few) have severe limitations.
Russell
rwarvin
Location: 30 FT Cape dory cutter rig name ua noa located in honolulu,hi

propane locker

Post by rwarvin »

on my cape dory 30 my propane locker is located in starboard locker holds two 3lb tanks all encased that slides in and out on tracks for easy access.
lubeckmaine

Propane Tank Location

Post by lubeckmaine »

rwarvin- to understand the installation: must you open the existing locker cover to access the tanks? Have you photos you could post or e-mail?