Sensibulb bargain

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Troy Scott

Sensibulb bargain

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

This is not advertising. I just want to share this excellent information.
Nick Cancro at Sailor's Solutions made this offer to me. I asked him if I could share this with you guys, and he agreed. This is a good deal, especially if you're re-lamping a whole boat. These bulbs are reputedly the best LED cabin cabin lights, and normally sell for $39 each. By the way, I've been asking lots of questions of lots of companies in my quest to learn about the "state of the art" in low-current cabin lighting. Nick has been much more helpful than all the other guys put together. This is in great contrast to some, especially the un-named "techie" from WM, who revealed a complete lack of knowledge. Here is the message, as I received it from Nick:

Hi Troy,

It’s perfectly OK with us if you purchased ABI fixtures and added Sensibulbs to them. I think the savings would be greater if you get a few friends together we can give you a price on a case of 24 Sensibulbs at our club price of $32.00 each.
Even if this includes a mixed order of fixtures we’ll simply deduct the $8.00 from each Sensibulb used.
I hope that helps.

Wishing you fair winds,

Nick Cancro
President
Sailors Solutions, Inc.
PO Box 737
Northport, NY 11768
631 754 1945
www.sailorssolutions.com <http://www.sailorssolutions.com/>
Regards,
Troy Scott
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

Troy:

I will attest that Nick at Sailor's Solutions is a straight shooter who always does right by the customer. That is indeed a good deal for the Sensibulb.

My brother just got his first Sensibulb and installed it the other day. To quote him. "Ps, God, I love the Sensibulb in the overhead lamp, I would love to replace everything with it. It is one bright mother…"

Sail on

John
John Danicic
CD 36 -Mariah- #124
Lake Superior
Ben Thomas

Sensibulb

Post by Ben Thomas »

I will second that! I converted all interior bulbs to the sensibulb last year in my 30, usage with all incadescent bulbs on went from about 10amps to not quite 3. Adaptors available for bayonet, and threaded fittings.
There was some glitch in one batch of bulbs that Nick was not satisfied with (bullbs in my order) he tossed them and started over.
He emailed me, apoligized and to give me an update on status of my order, Wonder of Wonders!! that is customer service. I called, he gave me a new shipping date and ETA. It was on time.

Great bulbs, great service.

Ben
Russell

Post by Russell »

Troy, will he ship to multipul locations if people got in on it with you for the case price? Or would it have to go to once place and get reshipped by the initial receiver?

I have considered going LED many times myself. But all the boats I have been on who went LED did it a few years back before the technology was improved so much and the light they produced was really awful(brightness not an issue, but color and harshness, yucko). Everything that gets said about these senibulb LEDs has got me pretty interested though.

My main wonder if its worth it to me, power draw from lights is not really a big concern for me, when your running a computer and a water maker every night off a 550Ah bank the lights really become an after thought power wise.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Troy Scott

To be or not to be... the owner of new LEDs..

Post by Troy Scott »

Russell,
I can't say for absolute certain, but I suspect that this offer applies if he only has to deal with ONE order and ONE payment. As I understand it, the order would need to include 24 Sensibulbs, but some of them could be in fixtures. In other words, some folks might get together and buy two fixtures with two bulbs each, and 20 additional bulbs. or you could buy 12 fixtures and save $16 on each one. (I believe that would reduce the $109 normal price per fixture to $93.) Someone in our group would need to be responsible for organizing and distributing the goods. This kind of thing would be handy in a local club setting, but possibly more trouble than it's worth to a widely spread group. I posted the offer thinking that there are probably local groups of CDers who would benefit.

I'm not interested in doing this group thing right now, as I'm not ready for the new lights just yet, and when I am I will more than use up the whole offer myself!

You're absolutely right about the older style LED lamp conversion products. Until recently they were really awful. Most are like a small blue-white flashlight. The latest warm-white offerings are finally bright enough and dispersed enough to qualify as general lighting. But they are still many times more expensive than incandescent bulbs for equivalent total lumens. A $39 Sensibulb (OK $31 right here right now) gives about the same light as the 18 watt bayonet base bulb (1142) that fits the older style lights in most Cape Dorys...., and that bulb can be had for 52 cents each if you buy a box of 24. I just bought some. They do make a fine light. If you're not particularly concerned about them using 1.44 amps, they are a still a good choice. The common 10 watt G4 Xenon bulbs do the same thing and use .8 amps.
Regards,
Troy Scott
jerryaxler

sensibulb

Post by jerryaxler »

As another convert to sensibulb, I will state unequivocally that it is the best LED I have tried( and unfortunately I tried several cheap ones). It gives you the same light as as your reading light without the heat and and with an incredibly low electrical draw. If I didn't have my bulbs, I would jump at the offer.
Fairwinds and following seas,
Jerry Axler
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

Please explain

Post by Evergreen »

Ok, please forgive me for being ignorant, but please explain something to me. I have the standard, old style dome and bell shaped light fixtures on my CD36 that I also see in the photos of other Cape Dorys. Question: If I were to get "Sensibulbs" what else would I need? Could I just get the "Scad bayonet to G4 socket adapter" also sold on the site or do I have to get a whole new fixture and install it and change the wires over to it????? Also, while we are at it - is it possible to change out the bow and stern running light bulbs for LEDs without changing the fixtures? The current bulbs look like large capsules with the contacts at each end.

I have wanted to go LED for a while but don't know much about it. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Philip & Sharon
https://share.delorme.com/ADVNTURUNLIMITD (Where is Evergreen?)
http://northernexposurein2013.blogspot.com/ (Link to older blogs)
Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

Post by Dave Jeffery »

In my case I bought the bayonet adaptors, which install with a push and slight twist, and the LED bulbs' two wires fit into slots on the adaptor ends. Pretty simple. Though I have not had much experience using them, the fixtures that surround them are much cooler to the touch.
John Danicic

Post by John Danicic »

Philip and Sharon:

All you need for the dome and those brass swivel lights is the bayonet adapter.

As for the running lights, the blubs in Mariah have a different socket arrangement then the interior lights. On the base, one pin is staggered up from the other one so I think I would simply rewire the current fixtures or spring for new LED running light fixtures. That's next years project for Mariah.

Spring for one Sensibulb and put it in the dome light over the galley sink. You will see what a great light it puts out and if you have a Link 10 or an amp meter, you will see the difference in power consumption. After you are convinced, you can always buy more with our next economic stimulus check.

Sail on

John Danicic
CD36 Mariah - #124
Lake Superior
Doug Hill

Sensibulbs

Post by Doug Hill »

I installed Sensiblubs on SISU and they are great.

Perhaps the CDSOA could purchase a case (or two) along with the associated adaptors and put them in the chandlery. Probably a hassle for the quartermaster but maybe Sensibulb might be a little "friendlier" for a larger initial purchase. Just a thought.

Doug
Doug Hill
Bob L

Post by Bob L »

I'm game to purchase several at this price. Given that it sounds like one BIG order will be made, the logistics of the process do need to be thought out. It would be great if the CD chandlery or the like could do it. Otherwise some member on his/her own must take on the task.
Evergreen
Location: 1986 Cape Dory 36 - Hull # 139 - "Evergreen" - kept at Great Island Boat Yard - Maine

A Question About LED Fixtures

Post by Evergreen »

When checking out the Sailors Solutions web site I noted that the two dome fixtures that they sell each have two Sensibulbs. A question for those of you who already have Sensibulbs: Is one Sensibulb almost as bright as one incandescent bulb or does it take two??
If two are recommended does anyone have recommendations where to get brass dome fixtures (the ones on Sailor Solutions are stainless) that will hold two Sensibulbs?
Thanks, Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon
Troy Scott

"brass" (titanium nitride) dome lights/Sensibulb e

Post by Troy Scott »

Philip and Sharon,

Sailor's Solutions has both SS and Titan-Tough (gold/bronze) fixtures. They are the ABI fixtures that you can buy from Defender for $19 complete with two 10 watt Xenon bulbs. You can also easily retrofit Sensibulbs to your present original fixtures.

I just received my first Sensibulb today. I've followed LED development for a long time, but this is my first experience with a Sensibulb. WOW! Again: WOW! This thing is absolutely amazing! You'd SWEAR the light is incandescent. I haven't measured the lumens, but it seems at least as bright as a 10 Watt Xenon bulb, maybe brighter. It has none of the focused, "flashlight" effect that older style LEDs have. It's just good general lighting. Now, if you're interested in how the light compares to the light from one of the older style dome lights in a Cape Dory, the kind that have one 1142 style double contact bayonet base bulb , I'd guess it's about the same, both in quality and in color. A fixture with TWO Sensibulbs would be REALLY bright. That might be appropriate to a work area like over the galley sink, but one Sensibulb is probably enough for the fixtures over the settees or in a reading light.
Regards,
Troy Scott
Troy Scott

Sensibulb bargain

Post by Troy Scott »

Folks,

I wish I could snap up the whole bargain for myself, but I've spent TOO much boat money lately. I WILL PAY FOR THREE OF THE 24 BULBS.
David van den Burgh has volunteered for two. That just leaves 19, folks.

I am very sorry to have to state publicly that I just don't have time to administer this venture. I still work for a living! If some member, or our Chandlery will buy these and tend to the distribution, I will do my part!
Regards,
Troy Scott
Evergreen

I'm conviced - I would take five

Post by Evergreen »

I would like to thank everyone once again for educating us about these new gadgets.

Ok, we are convinced this is a good thing. If someone else places the order we would take five bulbs as well as the adapters. Let us know if it is a go. That would bring the number down to 14.

Thanks, Philip & Sharon
Philip & Sharon