Two Questions About Typhoon Hank On Jib

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

mgphl52

Post by mgphl52 »

If you take the sheet to the winch first (with just 1 or 2 turns), there won't be that much load on the cleat. Be very careful to avoid overwraps though, because of the sheeting angle.

Cam cleats were added to both of my Typhoons and were greatly appreciated by their next owners.

Enjoy Life & Sail!!!

-michael & Toni
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
Serge Zimberoff
"Cloning Around"
Lake Sonoma, CA

Cleats on Coaming

Post by Serge Zimberoff »

The original teak coaming was pretty thin. certainly less than 5/8". If you are concerned why not just take a turn around the winch before going to the cleat. This will take a lot of pressure off the cleat. Also for single handing the turn around the winch allows you to take the lee sheet across to you to cleat. I've seen a lot of Typhoons and never heard of someone pulling one of these cleats out, just for your reassurance.
Also the fixed fairleads near the chainplate aren't needed for the genoa sheets. Those sheets come back to the adjustable genoa blocks on the rubrail and then to the winches.
Just my 2¢.
Serge