Wear your lifejacket always

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Derek Matheson

Wear your lifejacket always

Post by Derek Matheson »

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/16357254/detail.html

We were in that race last night, when a squall hit with winds slowly building to about 30 knots with puffs beyond that. The Alberg 30 was quite well-behaved, although knocked flat a few times, until we got the genoa furled.

Other boats had much more trouble. We saw at least one mast down, with the majority of the competitors having sails ripped to shreds. Lots of boat related trash in the water as well.

All pales in comparison to a sailor falling overboard and then have cardiac arrest, perhaps due to the cold water. He was not wearing his lifejacket.

A friend just phoned to say that the local radio report was that he died this morning at the hospital.

Update 2pm: http://www.hometownannapolis.com/cgi-bi ... _22-60/CBN says he passed away last night.
Update 05-23: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index. ... c=73000&hl
Last edited by Derek Matheson on May 23rd, '08, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Barthel

Certainly when racing!

Post by Dick Barthel »

n/m
tartansailor

How Sad

Post by tartansailor »

Mr Reitan had an enviable reputation as a serious racer. Why he was not wearing a PFD seems to me to be totally out of character.

It is easy to see how his Tartan 10 (a Mazaratti on steroids) can get unmanageable in a quick turn in the weather.

Our prayers go out to his lovely family.

Dick
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Tragic

Post by drysuit2 »

These tragic events always scare me. They become another excuse to ban more of my freedom. I'm a grown man I'll decide when I need to wear a pfd or not.

Next they'll tell me I can't go sailing, because it's too windy.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

First, my condolences to this man's family and friends.

I know I am a "newbie/tadpole" sailor but I am not new to being on the water. I have been on commercial dive boats and friends dive boats for more than 30 years.

I do not know whether this man was wearing a PFD or not. The posted reports suggest he was not. The reports also say he was a very experienced sailor. Given the reports of 20-25 kts winds, with gusts much higher, and the fact it was evening, it is surprising he would not have been wearing a PFD and/or tethered with a harness.

When I race (if you can call it that :( ) on Harbor 20s, there are always 2-3 others onboard, it is the middle of the day, and the water is always warm (comparatively) in Biscayne Bay. If the winds are anything above 8-10 kts, the race committee requests that everyone wear a PFD. Above 14-15 kts, it's mandatory. Above 19-20 kts, we do not race.

The few times I have been out on Tadpole, my Typhoon Weekender, I have worn my PFD every time - even when conditions were very mild (3-5 kts or less). I sail alone. For me, it is simply common sense. Even if I had experienced crew onboard (which I hope to have) I would still wear my PFD. It is cheap and easy insurance against unexpected catastrophes.

Having floated in the ocean for a few hours on two different occasions I can attest to the importance of having a device to help keep you afloat. In my two situations I was on scuba and wearing a buoyancy compensator ("BC") that basically serves as the equivalent of a PFD. Although on both occasions I was young and in peak physical condition, without the BC I would have been in deep "do do".

Other than possibly being a little uncomfortable and, in the summer months, a little warm, what is the downside to wearing a PFD :?: Again, I fully acknowledge that I am a "tadpole", but I cannot think of any significant downside(s).

Although no one may ever know if wearing a PFD that night would have made the difference in the outcome, the downside to not wearing one is, potentially, what this man's family is now going through.

I again wish everyone a SAFE and THOUGHTFUL Memorial Day weekend.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Ed Haley

Acceptable risks

Post by Ed Haley »

I agree with Frank to some extent. It is my choice when to wear a PFD. I don't wear it all the time ... just some times when I deem it warranted.

For instance, I always wear a PFD when sailing alone and away from shore - which is another topic.

When is it appropriate to stop sailing alone? We've all heard of stories and even friends who have died at the wheel in calm weather of a heart attack. We have a choice there as well. Would we rather die of a heart attack while driving a car alone or sailing in our boats alone? The risk is there whether we're alone or with others no matter where we are. No one makes a choice to die - it's just a fact of living.

In "Attitudes and Latitudes" this month there is a picture at the back of the issue of a guy who sails alone to the Caribbean each year aboard his 40 foot ketch. He's 92. Done it 50 times. Is he 50 times nuts? I don't think so. And his 20 year old girlfriend is glad he visits :D :D :D
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Common Sense

Post by Joe Myerson »

Year after year, tragedies like this trigger a slew of debates about whether or not to wear a PFD. Like most of us, I suspect, I find myself in the Ed and Frank school: Choose whether or not to wear a PFD, but make that choice sensibly.

When I sail alone--which is most of the time--I usually wear my inflatable. Early and late in the season, I always wear it; in the summer, when the water here on Buzzards Bay gets bathtub-warm, I sometimes do not.

When I was a kid, I never wore one (or even owned one). I spent hours and hours on the water, either in catboats, sailfish or (I'll admit it now) on 13-foot Boston Whalers. In fact, we considered it the mark of a landlubber to wear one of those puffy, uncomfortable kapok-filled lifejackets.

We were probably dumb, but we survived. Nowadays, children under 12 must wear them. That regulation is entirely sensible (and today's foam vests are much more comfortable). But I'd personally hate to see the rule extended to adults.

I just hope I'm still sailing at age 90, and I plan to wear that PFD more often as I approach that age. (No comment, Lynne, on the possibility of a 20-year-old girlfriend.)

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Another tragedy--no PFD

Post by Joe Myerson »

Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

Tragic

Post by drysuit2 »

The “pleasure police” I fear are not a myth. As some of you know, I also windsurf. I have spent much of my life traveling, in search of, strong wind, and large waves.

On occasion, I can find those conditions in my own backyard.

That is when I usually find myself in conflict with some “well meaning” “local authority” who has decided that ‘it is too dangerous for me out there today’.

I believe that this new found “concern for my safety” is due to the litigious environment that exists today.

See also: http://drysuit2.blogspot.com/2008/02/ha ... again.html
http://drysuit2.blogspot.com/2008/02/it ... pment.html
http://drysuit2.blogspot.com/2007/12/ar ... in-me.html
j2sailor

Former Coastie Weighs In

Post by j2sailor »

I'm not here to beat the PFD drum. Fact is, most people don't wear them. They're uncomfortable as hell in the heat, snag on rigging, restrict movement and become more difficult in case you need to wear additional clothing. We were required to wear them, irrelevant of weather, anytime we were on a small vessel. In wintertime, we wore full Mustang exposure suits.

The new inflatables are wonderful, but must be maintained with even more care than other types. You're relying on a mechanical system to keep you afloat if you're knocked unconscious. You need to check the cylinder and fittings for leaks, remember to change out the device that activates the CO2 cartridge and manually inflate the bladders to check for tears or punctures.

Most professional captains I worked with never wore PFDs. In my honest opinion, there are certain times when it's essential:
1) Water temp under 78 degrees
Cold water immersion occurs at water temps below 77 degrees. The possibility of gasp reflex leading to drowning increases exponentially. Hypothermia accelerates rapidly, resulting in losing the ability to grasp flotsam or floatation.
2)Rough weather sailing
Judgement call on skipper's part. Rough weather is a relative term. A rough guide is LWL. If winds get close to your LWL, it's time to get everyone into a PFD.
3) Entering or leaving an inlet (breaking or not)
This is a no-brainer. Rip currents, races, breaking waves and bars play havoc with a human body.
4) Young, elderly (skipper's call) or disabled persons.
5) Going aloft
If you bang against the mast or rigging it will pad you. Drop to the deck and it could save you from life threatening injury.

I'm a big believer in prevention training. Learn to move like a running back. Knees bent below lifeline level. Grab, look and move. Grab, look and move. As the weather increases, continue to lower your center of gravity. If you go overboard in any kind of weather, you'll be lucky if you're recovered without sustaining serious injury. It's not the figure 8 or coming alongside that's the hard part; it's the actual recovery. Pulling a wet, 180 pound body up 2-3 feet of vertical freeboard at the quarter while rolling in a beam sea and lying on your belly ain't easy.

The books talk about recovery methods such as elevator rigs and rigging a block and tackle to a raised halyard. But the picture or drawings show these methods in flat calm weather. In 20 knots of wind and 2 foot seas with a human body lashed alongside a boat rolling in a swell, things could get more than a little dicey.

Prevention. Stay aboard. At all costs. Rig jacklines and insist on persons wearing a safety harness at nighttime, offshore or in tough going. Sailing is a lot of fun, but it's also a demanding sport because it requires physical and mental training. Get a squeeze or tennis ball and work with it until you have the grip of Samson. We all slip and trip on boats. Your ability to grip and hold on might save you one day.

Best - J.
Sea Hunt
Location: Former caretaker of 1977 Cape Dory Typhoon Weekender (Hull #1400) "S/V Tadpole"

Post by Sea Hunt »

Regrettably, here is another tragic sailing incident.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/breakin ... 47152.html

As everyone knows, I am a rookie when it comes to anything related to sailing. I would never recommend mandatory rules requiring sailors or boaters in general to wear a PFD or safety harness, although mandatory seatbelt laws do seem to have had a positive impact on the reduction in deaths and serious injuries from car accidents. I think sailors should be able to make the choice themselves without government interference.

My only thought is that if you are singlehanding (or with inexperienced crew on board) I think making the choice to wear a PFD and/or safety harness, especially in open water, is probably a good thing.

Weather permitting, I will be sailing (single handed) tomorrow in an effort to gain more experience with "Tadpole". I will be wearing my PFD.
Fair winds,

Robert

Sea Hunt a/k/a "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
Joe CD MS 300
Location: Cape Dory Motor Sailor 300 / "Quest" / Linekin Bay - Boothbay Harbor

Rockport Harbor Accident

Post by Joe CD MS 300 »

I was in Rockport earlier in the day before the accident with the doctor. It was a beautiful day, actually warm in the sun. I'm wondering if I saw the doctor while we were loading up Quest. On the way down to Boothbay Harbor we were hit with a quick cell that came up real quick around 2-3:00 PM while we were off of Tenants Harbor. This may have been the same weather that swamped the doctors dinghy. The winds went from 10 knots to 35+ in about 2 minutes. We had no sail up and were getting pushed over a fair amount. From the sounds of what I have read they may have been in a hard dinghy. That's probably an advantage of inflatables and RIB's over hard dinghys.
Better to find humility before humility finds you.
j2sailor

Post by j2sailor »

No government should mandate wearing of seat belts, helmets or lifejackets. Our government does not do so with PFDs. It only requires that they be carried. Yet, if you have guests or family aboard, irrelevant of experience level, you are responsible for their safety. You must make the call. Even very experienced sailors have balked at my insistence to temporarily don a PFD to exit an inlet. Or in low visibility. Or in rough weather.

Singlehanding, do as you please. My feeling about singlehanding is that I am completely responsible for my welfare and should not rely on anyone to rescue me. I rarely wore a PFD singlehanding, but I learned to move to keep myself attached to the boat.

I was in the search and rescue business for close to a quarter of a century. You place it on the line every time you get underway on a case. You go out, you may or may not come back. It's a tough business. One thing I learned time and again is that the sea doesn't play favorites. Rich or poor, young or old, experienced or neophyte - it is the great equalizer.

Best, J.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

PFD's make us a 2 boat family

Post by trapper »

My husband sailed, singlehanded, from Milford Haven, Wales to Oat Island, NC (he missed Charleston--I had to go get him). He sails without a PFD. I support his choice --except when I am on board. He will not wear one on his boat. I insist when we sail my boat.

His boat is a 40' Ketch and while I can do somethings, I am not proficient in MOB skills on that boat. So if he goes over, I may or may not be able to retrieve him. I think that is unfair to me. On my boat (CD25D) I am captain. I have inflatables and everybody wears one--including the dog (but his is not inflatable). Happily we sail the little boat a lot more than the big boat. :D
D Rush

Post by D Rush »

I understand the gov't mandate / freedom argument.
I see PFD and seatbelts as my responsibility to my loved ones.
Seatbelts are mandatory in my cars. PFD are mandatory on my boat.

I must confess I have not always held this opinion on PFDs. Generally my attitude was for many years, have PFDs on board and wear them if you'd like. Until an incident while racing PHRF in Hingham Bay. My son and I crew on my cousin's Pearson 26. My son, in his fast growing teen years must have grown an inch or two between weekly races., because on this particular evening he bumped / brushed his head, lightly, on the boom during the pre-start and start of the race. At the second mark we were rounding in close quarters with two other boats. The boom whacked my son's head pretty good. A little unsteady on his feet, my son sat in the companion way for awhile as his head cleared. That put the fear into me. What if he had gone over the side or if it was me who got whacked and I had gone over.
So it's my personal choice to require the wearing of PFD on my boat.
Denis