So. CAl Bottom Paint Suggestions??

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Breault5

So. CAl Bottom Paint Suggestions??

Post by Breault5 »

Well the day is finally here! I've put many, many hours of work into her, the list of things too long to mention here, and she is finally going into the water. The bottom has been stripped and I am about to put on 4 coats of Interprotect 2000 on her bare bottom. My question...if there are any So. Cal boaters reading this post, what is your best suggestion and opinion on a good bottom paint. I want her to be in the water a couple of years. I have been leaning towards an ablative paint, being a native New Englander, not quite sure what works best here in these waters. Any comments would be really appreciated.
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Paint in S. Cal.

Post by sgbernd »

It all depends on how often you intend to haul and paint. I have used Petitt Trinidad SR for the past several years and found it excellent although likely a bit of overkill. I haul every other year as the seacocks need to be greased, prop polished, etc. so the boat is coming out even if the paint is in good shape. Since it is out, I have the yard paint it.

The first year is slime free, and requires no scrubbing at all, the second year you need to take a brush to the bottom with increasing frequency as the year progresses, but never get any hard growth, just slime and algae.
I am sure the paint would give you another season or maybe even two if you didn't need to haul for another reason.