Source? Tubular cushion material for lifelines

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

M. R. Bober

Source? Tubular cushion material for lifelines

Post by M. R. Bober »

RESPITE's lifeline cushions and Sunbrella covers are shot. The fair & lovely is ready to replace them. However we have not been able to locate a suitable foam cushion (5.5ft x 1.75in OD) from the usual sources. I have some pipe insulation, but I don't think it will stand up under load.

Anybody have a source?

Thanks in advance.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where the sailing is supposed to be cushy), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
plumber

Post by plumber »

I have been known to use those floatie tubes, there cheep, colorful and easy to install, you can change out the colors several times during the season and keep the others at the marina wondering. They are fairly tough and do last quite a wile
Brace
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

That pipe insulation might hold up quite well if you run a piece of tubing inside of it so the small diameter lifeline doesn't bare directly on the foam. Are you sitting up on the combing board when you are leaning against the lifelines? I would want a set of combing padding too, Steve.
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Maybe I"m old fashioned, but given that the lifelines are the last line of defense between the crew and near certain death, I was always taught that they're not there to lean against.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

Neil Gordon wrote:Maybe I"m old fashioned, but given that the lifelines are the last line of defense between the crew and near certain death, I was always taught that they're not there to lean against.
Well maybe you are, Neil. Do you neck on the first date? :)

I generally do not lean against the lifelines as a back rest, but it is amazing how many times I lean over them (i.e. securing dock lines, furling the yankee) and my ribs are tender enough to be on the menu of any Bar-B-Que place in the country.

Does anybody know if the black cushion material is neoprene?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where old fudds gather), VA
CDSOA Founding Member
mgphl52

Try McMaster-Carr!

Post by mgphl52 »

These folks have nearly 1/2 million items available and they provide great service! The URL is http://mcmaster.com.

-michael
-michael & Toni CDSOA #789
s/v KAYLA CD28 #318
2012 FLSTC Heritage Classic
Niceville FL
+30° 30' 24.60", -86° 26' 32.10"
"Just because it worked, doesn't mean it works." -me
No shirt + No shorts = No problem!
M. R. Bober

Thanks

Post by M. R. Bober »

I have been unable to identify the cushioning material so it time for plan two.

I ordered a pair of Perimeter Industries "made up" lifeline cushions. The fair & lovely will make the require Sunbrella slip cover.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster (where the buffalo do not roam, they stay fenced in @ Edmonds Farm. The deer play in traffic, and the antelope are off of the radar), VA
CDSOA Founding Member