LED replacement bulbs

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

drysuit2
Location: Segue, 1985 Cape Dory 26 Hull # 15 Port Washington NY

great links

Post by drysuit2 »

Thanks guys
Bob Emmons

Post by Bob Emmons »

Hello again,
In reference to Armond's query on VHF disturbance from my replacement LED's: Since I have only been out a few times, I did not notice any interference on the VHF in receiving. In fact, I can't be sure if I had the VHF on at night yet with the lights on.....is their a reason to be concerned? In all of my readings I did not encounter any info of LED interference to the VHF signal. I hope not! But you have my curiosity now, so I will check this week when I'm sailing again.
Bob
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

Bob Emmons wrote: ... In reference to Armond's query on VHF disturbance from my replacement LED's ... In all of my readings I did not encounter any info of LED interference to the VHF signal ...
This subject has been discussed pretty thoroughly on the SSCA site, rec.boats.electronics, and rec.boats.cruising. There is also some mention of this on certain manufacturer's sites. The issue seems to revolve around certain lights whose transformers interfere on VHF frequencies. Some writers suggest that only certain brands offend, and some suggest that the issue has largely been resolved with more recent transformers. Before I replace the same bulbs that I believe you have replaced in the Aqua Signal Series 40 fixture (a somewhat pricey modification in my view), I just wanted to see if you'd encountered any issues.
Paul D.

LED Interference

Post by Paul D. »

From my experience, I believe there is sometimes interference from florescent bulbs but not from LED's. Maybe one of the knowledgeable electrical folks could shed some light on this subject.

I have several LED's aboard now for several years and have made passages at night without noticing any interference.

Paul
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

LED Interference

Post by Oswego John »

I go along with what Paul says, with one change. I don't think that the flourescent tube(s) cause any interference. It is caused by the transformer ballast.

I also think that straight, non pulsing DC might cause magnetic problems if not shielded, but not interference to any great extent.

Converters might be a source of problems.
Bob Emmons

Post by Bob Emmons »

Its me again,
I enjoyed a nice evening sail yesterday, and did turn on the VHF with both the LED anchor and tricolor lights (Aqua Signal series 40), and absolutely no interference with the signal being received. I did not transmit. I know these DR. LED repalcements are expensive, but I needed a way to conserve power. I added a reefer last year.....
Bob
Bob Emmons
CD30 "Red Wing"
Robinhood, ME
Dave Jeffery
Location: CD25 #762, "Glimmer," San Domingo Creek, St. Michaels MD

Post by Dave Jeffery »

I also have replaced incandescent bulbs in the interior fixtures with Sensibulb LEDs from Sailing Solutions. Easy to install (don't forget to order the bayonet fixture adapters with the LEDs).

So far, fine, and the fixtures as in the gold-colored cone shades run much cooler, meaning, I think, more light from less power.
The Patriot

Post by The Patriot »

Bob Emmons wrote:Its me again,
I ... did turn on the VHF with both the LED anchor and tricolor lights (Aqua Signal series 40), and absolutely no interference with the signal being received. I did not transmit ...
Thanks for the info. I ordered both replacement lights for the Aqua Signal masthead fixture, and replacements for the lower Series 25 nav lights just for good measure.

Now where is that rebate check the Feds have been talking about?