Marine primary wire

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Steve Laume

Marine primary wire

Post by Steve Laume »

Okay guys, I might have entered how I discovered the short and came to be replacing my engine wiring harness in the Bozo thread. My trouble shooting of why there was no current at the instrument panel ended in a ball of electrical fire down under the engine. Cape Dory's harness wrapped in a generous quantity of black tape only lasted so long. I have rerouted and replaced enough of the wiring to get me back in service. I also got some nice black wire loom to contain all the new wires. What I have not been able to find is a source for good, marine grade, tinned, 16 GA wire in the original colors designated in my schematic and recommended by the marine industry. I could buy some full spools of 25 or 100 FT but only need 9 to 12 FT of each color. I am looking for, tan, LT blue, red/yellow, and that may be it but I should check. I would much rather use the proper colors than have a whole mess of red wires with labels on each end. If anyone has some wire they want to sell or a source of where I could buy non standard colors by the foot I would greatly appreciate it, Steve.
tmsc

Primary wire

Post by tmsc »

Hi Steve,

First, check the wire loom to make sure what you got is fire proof. Check the packaging and/or cut off a small section and put a lighter to it and see. You would be surprised but some of it will readily catch fire and burn. As far as wire goes the best source I have found is Pacer Marine. A lot of builders use there stuff since it is way way cheaper than Ancor brand. There stuff is marine grade and meets current requirements. Here is a link.

http://www.pacermarine.com/

They may want you to set up an account but it is painless. Good people.

Hopefully this helps.

Fair winds,
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
Steve Laume

Short lengths

Post by Steve Laume »

Lee, that is good advise and a great site. It still looks like I would need to buy a 100 FT spool of each color. I need 12 FT of red/yellow and only 9 FT of tan. Cost per foot is not so much a factor as being able to buy by the foot, Steve.
Derek Matheson

Tinned wire at McMaster

Post by Derek Matheson »

Try McMaster-Carr at www.mcmaster.com
They will cut to length e.g. 7587K017 for brown 20GA tinned wire.
They usually give you a couple extra inches.
When I was doing industrial wiring harnesses, we would just fax them our wire list on one order, and basically get them to kit the harness for "free".
tmsc

Wire

Post by tmsc »

Hi Steve,

I understand. You may want to check Ebay too. I have seen some on there with good pricing. Can't have enough wire it will always be used. What ever you get though make sure it meets the correct standards. Other than being tinned the insulation is of particular interest with marine wire. I have listed some of the current ABYC recommendations for both AC and DC wiring. Hope it helps.

Fair winds,

DC conductors:

Conductors should meet UL 1426, Cables for Boats, SAE J378, Marine Engine Wiring, and SAE J1127, Battery Cable, or SAE J1128, Low-Tension Primary Cable depending on the application.

Recommended color Use:

Green, or green w/yellow stripe(s) DC grounding conductors example bonding system.

Black, or yellow DC negative conductors
( I prefer yellow for DC negative to avoid confusion between AC and DC. Don't want to grab the wrong thing)

Red DC positive conductors

ENGINE AND ACCESSORY WIRING COLOR CODE recomendation

COLOR ITEM /
USE

Yellow w/Red Stripe (YR)
Starting Circuit starting switch to solenoid

Brown/Yellow Stripe (BY) or Yellow (Y) - see note
Bilge Blowers Fuse or switch to blowers

Dark Gray (Gy) Navigation Lights
Tachometer Fuse or switch to lights Tachometer sender to gauge

Brown (Br)
Generator Armature Alternator Charge Light Pumps
Generator armature to regulator Generator
Terminal/alternator Auxiliary terminal to light to regulator
Fuse or switch to pumps

Orange (O)
Accessory Feed Ammeter to alternator or generator output
and accessory fuses or switches. Distribution panel to accessory switch

Purple (Pu)
Ignition Instrument Feed Ignition switch to coil and electrical
instruments. Distribution panel to electric instruments
Dark Blue Cabin and Instrument Lights Fuse or switch to lights

Light Blue (Lt Bl)
Oil Pressure Oil pressure sender to gauge

Tan
Water Temperature Water temperature sender to gauge

Pink (Pk) Fuel Gauge Fuel gauge sender to gauge

Green/Stripe (G/x) (Except G/Y)
Tilt down and/or Trim in Tilt and/or trim circuits

Blue/Stripe (Bl/x)
Tilt up and/or Trim out Tilt and/or trim circuits

NOTE: If yellow is used for DC negative, blower must be brown with yellow stripe.

AC SYSTEMS

Conductors shall have a minimum rating of 600 volts.

Flexible cords shall have a minimum rating of 300 volts.

The temperature rating of conductors and flexible cords shall be at least 140°F (60°C) dry.

AC conductors in engine spaces, the insulation shall be oil resistant, and the temperature rating shall be at least 167°F (75° C) dry.

NOTE: Conductor rating temperatures refer to the insulation maximum operating temperature of the conductors.

AC conductors shall be identified to indicate circuit polarity as follows:

ungrounded conductor black or brown

grounded neutral conductor white, or light blue

grounding conductor green, green w/yellow stripe

additional ungrounded conductors red, orange, blue

additional colors for ungrounded conductors (black)
Black w/red stripe
Black w/ blue stripe
Black w/ orange stripe
Lee
S/V Solomon Lee
NWarrenchuk

Post by NWarrenchuk »

I have used these guys for all my wire and they are great and an excellent value:
http://stores.channeladvisor.com/genuin ... ry%20Wire/

They also have a store on Ebay. You can't buy 16 AWG by the foot, but it is only $7.33 for a 50' roll. The smallest wire you can buy by the foot is 8 AWG.